Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to be a part of this group.

first off, i have a Norton 1941 16H which WOW i love

now i got a CB 350 72/73 and want to get on the project :)

First, what can i chop off? what can i replace!? soOOO much!

Handle bars, which modern type handle bars fit with the stock forks? Suzuki? gsxr? lol.

rear sets, which ones do people usually put on?

Tires, how wide can i go on the back? i want to put street tires.

brakes, can i upgrade disc or caliper in front and rear without welding?

instruments, what can i do about speedo and tach? i want something smaller.

tanks, and seat... where is there a web site with a list a pics of them?

oh wow, you do not know how amped i am to start all this :)

oh battery, where can i place it? how small can i get on the size?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Fill out your Bio and use the search function. Pretty much everything you asked has been covered at least once a month. Search for cb350 under the project build threads and see what people have done. This will keep the flame off your ass.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Fill out your Bio and use the search function. Pretty much everything you asked has been covered at least once a month. Search for cb350 under the project build threads and see what people have done. This will keep the flame off your ass.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Love the Model 16 norton. Got a chance to ride one at Mid-ohio this year and it was a blast.

Ok, so slow your roll fresh meat. You don't build a bike around parts and a look, you build a bike around a purpose and what is the purpose of this bike for you? are you going racing? do you just want a clean road bike? do you plan to ride it for long periods (those being more than the distance between starbucks coffee shops).

Handlebars: well nothing modern fits as clipons. every 7/8th bar fits the clamps. If you want a GSXR go buy one of those.

Rearsets: make your own. It isn't hard. you are here to build a bike right?

Tires: Unlike cars, the width of bike's tires in relation to each other is very important (actually it is important with cars too but cars are more forgiving). Just throwing wide tires at your bike is going to make it a lump of shit really quick. If you want a lump of shit I can box one up for you and you can save yourself a lot of trouble.

Brakes: Front - Yes, Rear - no (well...maybe but if you have to ask I doubt you are creative enough)

Instruments: if you want ones that work look for the smaller gauges that came on earlier hondas or even the tach/speedo setups that sit flush in the back of the headlight. Really the tach is the important one, the speedo is going to be a suggestion at best so one of those mini gauges should work.

tanks/seat: yes there are many websites. Nothing just bolts on to your bike just so you know it is all going to involve a little bit of fab work. Airtech, Glass from the past, etc will give you a rough idea, as will hanging out in the racing sections of this board since the FCB grid seems to live here.

yeah we get it, you jizzed yourself. Now mop it up and get focused.

I can tell you where you can stick your battery....but you ain't gonna like it.....

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Love the Model 16 norton. Got a chance to ride one at Mid-ohio this year and it was a blast.

Ok, so slow your roll fresh meat. You don't build a bike around parts and a look, you build a bike around a purpose and what is the purpose of this bike for you? are you going racing? do you just want a clean road bike? do you plan to ride it for long periods (those being more than the distance between starbucks coffee shops).

Handlebars: well nothing modern fits as clipons. every 7/8th bar fits the clamps. If you want a GSXR go buy one of those.

Rearsets: make your own. It isn't hard. you are here to build a bike right?

Tires: Unlike cars, the width of bike's tires in relation to each other is very important (actually it is important with cars too but cars are more forgiving). Just throwing wide tires at your bike is going to make it a lump of shit really quick. If you want a lump of shit I can box one up for you and you can save yourself a lot of trouble.

Brakes: Front - Yes, Rear - no (well...maybe but if you have to ask I doubt you are creative enough)

Instruments: if you want ones that work look for the smaller gauges that came on earlier hondas or even the tach/speedo setups that sit flush in the back of the headlight. Really the tach is the important one, the speedo is going to be a suggestion at best so one of those mini gauges should work.

tanks/seat: yes there are many websites. Nothing just bolts on to your bike just so you know it is all going to involve a little bit of fab work. Airtech, Glass from the past, etc will give you a rough idea, as will hanging out in the racing sections of this board since the FCB grid seems to live here.

yeah we get it, you jizzed yourself. Now mop it up and get focused.

I can tell you where you can stick your battery....but you ain't gonna like it.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAH :) love this board already.

i will first start by cleaning the bike, stripping what i dont want and then modeling where i want to get to. i really like the cafe racer look, and will use it for short dist riding. Joy riding. nothing more then 10 miles distances. no racing here . i will def want to fit some nice things on here, and with the help of my friends who weld and cut etc i think we'll make it. keep u guys posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAH :) love this board already.

i will first start by cleaning the bike, stripping what i dont want and then modeling where i want to get to. i really like the cafe racer look, and will use it for short dist riding. Joy riding. nothing more then 10 miles distances. no racing here . i will def want to fit some nice things on here, and with the help of my friends who weld and cut etc i think we'll make it. keep u guys posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres the one thing on searching. you can search and search and spend hours searching. and maybe find it. you can search for specific words, but the true point is there should always be a database of things that people have worked with. in the past, we've made list (on forums im on) and we update them saying, This rear set with this bracket works well. these clip on with this works well. and pics. it helps bring things together. now im NOT here to change the world :) just my .2$ . what im looking for i guess is a suggestion of things for each one. i know NOTHING is direct bolt on, nor am i looking for it , its not considered a project or a build if you have to built things on :).

hope you guys can help me out and post some pics. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heres the one thing on searching. you can search and search and spend hours searching. and maybe find it. you can search for specific words, but the true point is there should always be a database of things that people have worked with. in the past, we've made list (on forums im on) and we update them saying, This rear set with this bracket works well. these clip on with this works well. and pics. it helps bring things together. now im NOT here to change the world :) just my .2$ . what im looking for i guess is a suggestion of things for each one. i know NOTHING is direct bolt on, nor am i looking for it , its not considered a project or a build if you have to built things on :).

hope you guys can help me out and post some pics. :)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The first thing you should do is make sure the bike runs, starts and stops on its own. If the bike doesn't do that, get there. You need a clean slate to make a good bike. If it doesn't run and you bolt a ton of shit to it, all you have is a fancy lawn ornament.

Second thing you should do is title the bike in your name. Don't put a dime into it till you own it.

Third ride the thing for a month. Enjoy it. Figure out what it needs by getting familar with it. Parts work best in combination.

Fourth clean it.

Fifth, start modifying from the bottom up. Front suspension, rear suspension. I would say start with the tires but you wanted to do a front end swap (lots of bolt on options - cb450 for instance).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The first thing you should do is make sure the bike runs, starts and stops on its own. If the bike doesn't do that, get there. You need a clean slate to make a good bike. If it doesn't run and you bolt a ton of shit to it, all you have is a fancy lawn ornament.

Second thing you should do is title the bike in your name. Don't put a dime into it till you own it.

Third ride the thing for a month. Enjoy it. Figure out what it needs by getting familar with it. Parts work best in combination.

Fourth clean it.

Fifth, start modifying from the bottom up. Front suspension, rear suspension. I would say start with the tires but you wanted to do a front end swap (lots of bolt on options - cb450 for instance).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's for sure.. Hope to get some suggestions bc I did some searching for hrs

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by LuisN

I gave you 5 suggestions, get ti running, get it titled, etc....

if you want to have a specific conversation about certain parts of your bike, for instance the front end, it is better to ask that separately. Just asking for suggestions on 30 different things all at once and all you will get is the sound of crickets.

The more you tell us about your bike, the more we tell you about what you know. So let's start with a pic of your bike maybe? or a general description of how it is, the last time it ran, etc. you think these things aren't important but in order to give you good useable info it helps.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by LuisN

I gave you 5 suggestions, get ti running, get it titled, etc....

if you want to have a specific conversation about certain parts of your bike, for instance the front end, it is better to ask that separately. Just asking for suggestions on 30 different things all at once and all you will get is the sound of crickets.

The more you tell us about your bike, the more we tell you about what you know. So let's start with a pic of your bike maybe? or a general description of how it is, the last time it ran, etc. you think these things aren't important but in order to give you good useable info it helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts