Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, just bought a CB650 to turn cafe. ive got a huge list of things to do and an even bigger list of questions to ask. ive been looking around ebay and various cafe parts websites for tanks and seats.

i cant find anything made for it already so im wondering what everyone else is using and how you "know" whats going to fit when buying something that either doesnt list what bike its for or is listed for another bike. and then getting the seat and tank to mesh right...

im loking for something like this tank
http://www.tabaker.co.uk/NEW_WEBSITE/UK/IMAG0001.JPG

and this seat
http://www.omarsdtr.com/cafe3.html</u>

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Aarrgh Capn Blood (sorry, couldn't help myself),
The tank from the 75-78 Honda CB500T is similar to the tank shown and has a reasonable chance of fitting with minor mods to the CB650. Another Honda tank to consider is of the 78 - 79 CX500 but not the custom. They have knee indents and look cool. The seat that you showed from Omar's might fit the 650, the dimmensions are given so get measuring.
Once again, when it comes to cafeing(is this a word?)something other than a CB750 or XS650, you are going to have to make stuff fit. E-bay and the salvage yards are your friend. With a hacksaw and a welder, anything will fit.
Good luck,
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out those but im looking for a more extreme shape to it. i want a large round front with a small square back, dents in the front if i need them.

right now im wondering how crazy it would be to pay someone to mod my stock tank in this style as it has the right dimensions, mounts and front shape but a wrong back end.

for the seat i think im going to try my hand at fiber glassing (sorta). get a chunk of foam and start hacking at it. once i get the basic shape i want ill do a cursory run then hand it off to my dads friend (a surfboard maker) to have him finish it off nice and smooth.

ive found a fairly local motorcycle salvage yard and i hit them up for parts the other day, they dident have much but ill definetly be checking them out later.

how does the linkage in a gauge work? are there different kinds for every model or just one? i want to change out my gauges to something smaller or maybe a headlight/speedo setup like on those ural headlights. what do i look for?

i have more questions but ill save them for closer to when i can do them (shift lights, license plate/taillight moving, frame cutting, exhaust flames..im a bit odd, but i have a vision.)

thanks for any answers i get. i really appreciate the help.

Edited by - XcaptainXBloodX on Jun 11 2006 06:19:29 AM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts