Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Honda CB750K
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I am a 52 y.o. young man who was looking for a new hobby to help stay out of the Mrs. hair. I have been working on cars, fabing and building things for years and wanted a less expensive and less space consuming thing to tinker on.
So I bought a '78 cb750k that is a garage/barn find. It has just a hair over 10k on on the odo and hasn't seen the road since The end of '82.
Paint is shot, rubber is dry (common here in AZ) but everything is there and rust free. I'm not going full cafe racer but more of a resto-mod/cafe bike.
Something a bit more like this.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

With the exception of retaining the perfect chrome on the bike.

I'm excited to learn tricks and techniques over the next few years while getting into this venture it should be fun.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Welcome TomE. You sound like you have the mechanical skills to do what you want to however, you are wasting effort and a good bike if you make a hack job like the example you posted. That is a terrible motorcycle.

·
見る
534 Posts
Welcome TomE. You sound like you have the mechanical skills to do what you want to however, you are wasting effort and a good bike if you make a hack job like the example you posted. That is a terrible motorcycle.
Well, I guess that it's each to his own. However, if I were to find a near pristine CB750, I would be trying to make it as original as possible, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Well, I guess that it's each to his own. However, if I were to find a near pristine CB750, I would be trying to make it as original as possible, but that's just me.
As a new hobby I would think you would want to understand the whys as well as do the work. Why encourage the turning of good bikes to junk?

·
見る
534 Posts
As a new hobby I would think you would want to understand the whys as well as do the work. Why encourage the turning of good bikes to junk?
Re-read my comment. I'm not encouraging the OP to turn a good bike into junk. If it were me, I would go full restoration, but it's his bike to do with as he wishes.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Tom, here's the thing, the CB750 is a very low to the ground motorcycle right from the factory, one thing you don't want to do is to lower it even more and put vintage car tires on it, that would simply make it dangerous. Completely removing the front fender is another fail unless you live in a part of the world where it is legal to travel open wheel vehicles on a public highway and love shite flinging into your face every time you ride. Lowering the saddle and the bars, but leaving the foot controls stock will have your riding position similar to a monkey f-ing a football, and beware of aftermarket novelty lights that are not DOT approved, even if they were legal they could also get you killed. Stay clear of changing anything electrical such as fitting it with an expensive lithium battery and LED lighting, modern solid state electronics are simply Not compatible with your stock electrical charging system. Powder coat paint over steel chromed wheels is another performance fail, for the cost of thick paint he could have converted to alloy rims and end up with a lighter motorcycle. What you pictured there is a Bobber-chopper, not really a cafe racer.

·
見る
534 Posts
Gosh, I didn't know it was his bike. Well sure then , turn it to junk.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
The OP obviously likes that particular style, you don't.
It's all subjective.
He might make something that he loves, and you might hate it and call it junk.
He might look at it from a styling point of view, and you might look at it from a practical point of view.
You're both entitled to your take on it.
Doesn't make either person 'right.'
Just different perspectives....and it is his bike to make those decisions about....and I'm interested to see what he comes up with.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
The OP obviously like that particular style, you don't.
It's all subjective.
He might make something that he loves, and you might hate it and call it junk.
He might look at it from a styling point of view, and you might look at it from a practical point of view.
You're both entitled to your take on it.
Doesn't make either person 'right.'
Just different perspectives....and it is his bike to make those decisions about.
A properly fuctioning motorcycle is not subjective.

·
見る
534 Posts
A properly fuctioning motorcycle is not subjective.
I get your concerns. (y) We can only advise, like Trials did quite well, but ultimately, if the OP wants a particular style/look, then it really is his call. Maybe, if he hasn't already run away, he will ask advice regarding his build as it progresses. He did say "something a bit more like this," and wasn't stating that it's what he totally wanted, so he's probably open to constructive criticism/input.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Constructive improvement to a 1970's 4-cylinder CB road bike today is:
Make it look like it just came out of the showroom and you will really have something there.
An obsolete motorcycle that is still a decent commuter street bike capable of long distance travel.

If you dress it up like a clown we will point and laugh.

·
Registered
1978 Honda CB750K
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am keeping most of the original stuff on the bike. The example I posted was to show my intent on keeping the side panels and the oil reservoir. I also intend on keeping the front fender and using part of the rear and most all of the chrome on the bike as originally posted (I'm not into blacking things out). I am however doing a resto-mod as stated. I'm losing the hideous turn signals, handlebars and rear light and going with a hand crafted more streamlined seat rather than the attrocious original monstrosity.
But to those who criticize. This is "cafe racer" forum. Cafe racers were bikes hacked to shit to make everything light for speed not original. If speed was my only intent a vintage bike would be a waste of time and money. A crotch rocket would fill that void much better.
My intent is to keep the good and get rid of the worthless. Improving on what is there both aesthetically and performance-wise while keeping a vintage feel. I am approaching this more like Chip Foose would a car or truck not Concourse D’Elegance. I never bought a bike to keep it original. To me that is not a hobby but a chore.
I will not always agree and will never fully agree with what people choose to do with their bikes or even what bike they have but I will never discourage or talk trash on them because it is their dream and vision but mostly because I'm not a fuckwad either.
Thanks for the input though. See you all on the boards.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Huge difference between bikes hacked to shit to make everything light for speed not original and modified to be race track ready, to people who rode that long ago.
People also scratch built lighter stronger frames for that engine and stuck them into sidecar racers that worked pretty good.

Novelty signals and tail light can get you killed if you plan to ride it on public roads, the thing that makes OEM signals ugly is that they are positioned and designed to be seen by drivers who would otherwise run you over, it is unwise to hide signal and brake lights.

... original saddles are garbage, but they insisted on making them all carry 2 people which is always a compromise

·
Registered
1978 Honda CB750K
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed, however those lights are dim and unreliable AF. Thats why you don't see them used anymore. No worries though, I'm going with updated DOT approved options.
I drove tractor trailors for 25 years and do a lot of cycling. I am now an emergemcy room nurse so I'm a huge proponent for safety and being seen on the road.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
“This is "cafe racer" forum. Cafe racers were bikes hacked to shit to make everything light for speed not original.”

This statement right here is why the pic you posted got ridiculed. The mods done to it made it handle worse, go slower, ride dangerously (if it’s even rideable at ALL), and perform worse in every way. It is the antithesis of what is true about the origins of the cafe racer genre. The fact that bikes like these have become the eye candy definition of what the current internet sees as a cafe racer makes those of us who love vintage performance bikes cringe with angst.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts