Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so here is the situation. I'm looking to purchase my first bike very soon(I look evey day). I want my first bike to be a cafe racer(like there's any other kind?!) but to tell the truth I dont know about bikes at all. I know I NEED something that is small, being as it is my first bike and I am 5'6", but I also want something that can zip along in traffic without a problem. I'm looking to spend $900 or under for something that runs, so I can ride while modifying on the weekends.

Can anyone help me please? Advice? Sell me my first bike? Any and all help is appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I almost forgot, I'm in Pittsburgh if it matters any!

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Whatever you do, stick to your guns about only buying a runner. That $150 swamped barn find/squirrel's nest that "ran when I parked it here in '83" will turn into a frustrating money pit real damn fast.

Look for pre-79, Japanese and below 500cc's and you may get lucky.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Whatever you do, stick to your guns about only buying a runner. That $150 swamped barn find/squirrel's nest that "ran when I parked it here in '83" will turn into a frustrating money pit real damn fast.

Look for pre-79, Japanese and below 500cc's and you may get lucky.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ken, Its funny that you posted that...I called the guy about that bike yesterday. He told me it was in perfect condition, and then he sent me pics. I called him to tell him I was on my way with a check in hand...but he then informed me that someone just came and picked it up 5 mins before I called.

DEVESTATED!!!!!!! It was an awesome little bike

Thanks for trying though, let me know if you eye anything else please...tmpetrina at gmail dot com

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ken, Its funny that you posted that...I called the guy about that bike yesterday. He told me it was in perfect condition, and then he sent me pics. I called him to tell him I was on my way with a check in hand...but he then informed me that someone just came and picked it up 5 mins before I called.

DEVESTATED!!!!!!! It was an awesome little bike

Thanks for trying though, let me know if you eye anything else please...tmpetrina at gmail dot com

·
Registered
699 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats about getting in on the cafe scene. you are a newbie though and let me tell you, these bikes aren't newbie motorcycles. actually, having no previous riding experience may help you, because you haven't seen how nice modern suspension and brakes are. Just be very cautious and know your limits because these bikes are old, prone to failure, and need regular attention. that just comes with being cooler than most people, which i am sure you understand if you are into cafe bikes. if you are looking in the $900 range, at least in my area, $900 won't get you much most of the time. Even if you do find a runner, i would recommend stripping it down and really seeing what you have before you take to riding it. safety is priority in this sport, and it is better to delay your riding and check things out than to go for a ride and lose your brakes or something. i wish you the best of luck in your search, you have tapped into a great resource here. i will just say to stay away from the honda cm's, i hear they are pitifully slow. keep us updated with what you find and again...WELCOME!!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats about getting in on the cafe scene. you are a newbie though and let me tell you, these bikes aren't newbie motorcycles. actually, having no previous riding experience may help you, because you haven't seen how nice modern suspension and brakes are. Just be very cautious and know your limits because these bikes are old, prone to failure, and need regular attention. that just comes with being cooler than most people, which i am sure you understand if you are into cafe bikes. if you are looking in the $900 range, at least in my area, $900 won't get you much most of the time. Even if you do find a runner, i would recommend stripping it down and really seeing what you have before you take to riding it. safety is priority in this sport, and it is better to delay your riding and check things out than to go for a ride and lose your brakes or something. i wish you the best of luck in your search, you have tapped into a great resource here. i will just say to stay away from the honda cm's, i hear they are pitifully slow. keep us updated with what you find and again...WELCOME!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with everything 2smoke said, with the exception of staying away from the honda CMs. While they are slow and don't handle all that well, they are great beginner bikes. Cheap to buy and repair, plentiful parts, reliable as the sunrise. You can also modify em without worrying about messing up, as another one is likely under the nearest backyard tarp. No one in the know will be impressed by a cafe'd CM, but that really isn't the point anyway.

Performance gains are as much a part of the cafe thing as the look, and CM's just can't be made to perform very well. If, however, you just want to get the wind in your face and try your hand at modifying the looks of a bike, they aren't all bad.

Good luck, and have fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with everything 2smoke said, with the exception of staying away from the honda CMs. While they are slow and don't handle all that well, they are great beginner bikes. Cheap to buy and repair, plentiful parts, reliable as the sunrise. You can also modify em without worrying about messing up, as another one is likely under the nearest backyard tarp. No one in the know will be impressed by a cafe'd CM, but that really isn't the point anyway.

Performance gains are as much a part of the cafe thing as the look, and CM's just can't be made to perform very well. If, however, you just want to get the wind in your face and try your hand at modifying the looks of a bike, they aren't all bad.

Good luck, and have fun.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Sorry but I am unable to advise you because of the Pittsburg thing

quote:Originally posted by Tim

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Sorry but I am unable to advise you because of the Pittsburg thing

quote:Originally posted by Tim

Thanks Again!

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Hi Tim -

I'm also in the Pittsburgh area - in addition to craigslist, you should check out your local pennysaver (free ads paper) - there's very often bikes in there as well, cheap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts