Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was just given 2 free bikes and I am wondering which one would make a better Cafe. They are 1981 Yamaha xv920 and a 1981 Suzuki gs450...... any info is good.....this is my first project

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The GS would be simpler to do and will look like most others unless you are really creative.
The Xv however would take more work to get where you want it, would be incredibly unique in a crowd of CB-wanna-be's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think I will use the GS for now.... being my first one and all.Any suggestions on getting started?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If it were me I would go with the XV920. I would replace the rear wheel with one from a Seca650 or 750 to get an 18". I would replace the tank with one off an XS750 and cut down and recover the seat so it looked like a Corbin. Then put on some clip-ons and rear sets. I have been planning on doing one for a while and someday I am going to.

Ken

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
If it's the XV920H model, the one that doesn't look like a cruiser, then you should use that one. I think that one already had an 18" wheel.
And if it's the H model and you don't want to use it let me have it.
Craig

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not sure which model the xv920 is,I suppose i could look when I get home. It does look like a cruiser seems better suited for a chopper project.... maybe?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts