Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,411 Posts
Funny...that looks exactly like the ones you can buy. Even the handle looks cast.

However...if you did make it....I'll send you $20 for one. Assuming it fits the 74 350's....I've heard there was two different spacings on the exhaust fins.

JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
7,411 Posts
Frank,
So how did you get that finish on the wrench? And the nice radius on all the outside corners? On both sides. Must take a heck of a jig...I still think it's cast except for maybe the fin notches....send me a pic of the wrench in the machine and I'll believe you.

Or...sell me one for $20 and I'll believe you....see, I'm always willing to compromise.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
7,411 Posts
Frank....oh yeah...right.... hey I can throw something in my milling vise and say it's in a machine too.

I wanna see a picture of the handle the next time you machine one from stock. Still looks to me like a cast blank that you are machine slots in. Hey... I know how devious you are...you can't be trusted...your last name ends in a vowel.

Don't mess with me or I'll take some of that free metal you gave me and machine my own....by hand....like a real machinist!
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
7,411 Posts
Speaking of backlash....I got the backlash on my 57 bridgeport down to .005". Did a bunch of research and guess what....bridgeports have a "split-nut" on the x and y axis. You pull the table off...take the nut out...cut it in half down the slot that's already there...then you tighten a little screw that can be reached when the table is installed. The little screw every so slightly draws the two halves of the nut together and compensates for thread wear. Table does get just a tad tight at the ends of the travel...a combination of the gibs and the nut...but not too bad.

I'd love to go CNC if I had the money. Don't have time to learn all the "real" stuff. My guess is the machnist 50 years ago would have given up their tools for CNC in a second if they had the choice.
JohnnyB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.