Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Do yourself a favor: download or buy a factory manual for that bike.

Go through the chain tensioner, the valve clearances. Tear apart the front caliper and clean it out. Flush the brake lines. Brake fluid in the eyes sucks a lot so be careful. Clean the air filters out. Did you check the airboxes to make sure mice and squirrels don't live in there? You might be surprised.

Drain, flush, and refill the forks to spec. Trust me, do this. Buy new brake shoes for the rear. Do all the other stuff mlinder said.

Last but not least: with all your might and willpower, resist the urge to tear it down to the frame until it's all mostly working well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mickey: Sent you an email about the tank.

borzwazie: I already have a manual ordered, there is an issue with the front caliper and I will probably start a project thread and go over it there, I checked the air filters out before I started it and they look to be fairly recent. And dont worry, I have no intentions of tearing this bike down. I'm looking to getting this thing road ready ASAP.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Michael M, I paid $300 for the bike and a CL350 Titled frame.

Mickey, I sent you another email, hopefully this one goes through.

·
Registered
783 Posts
If removing the inline fuel filters solved your problem just like that, then I would bet a thousand imaginary dollars that they were on backward.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah I was pretty excited to get it that cheap, leaves a lot of room for repairs without being too far in the hole.
It looks like my first "major" repair is going to be the front brake caliper. Its frozen from sitting and I haven't been able to remove the piston yet, I'll probably wind up hooking it up to a grease gun and pushing it out that way. I'll put pics up documenting the process when I start my build thread.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Oh btw kerosene: That's the way they were installed when I got the bike, so I don't know why they weren't working. And if your worrying about how to settle up our bet, an imaginary cashiers check will be fine ;).

21 - 33 of 33 Posts