Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I am new to motorcycling, but not to forums. So I am fully aware of how much I don't know and how stupid I'm going to sound. Please forgive me. :cool:

My names Tyler. I'm a 23 year old first year law student. I've always wanted a motorcycle, but always put it off because it would be better to wait (after 25 for insurance, etc). But last summer, my dad died, and I've decided I don't want to wait because who knows when it'll happen to me. Anyways, over the years, I've come to appreciate the streetfighter/cafe style bikes. My bike will be for driving around downtown for school, so I'm not interested in a cruiser-style. So, question for you is, should I go the cafe-style route (Royal enfield continental gt) or go for a more practical first bike something along the lines of a suzuki gs500? I see the merits of the suzuki-style for learning, but I'm not sure if I should get a bike that I'll probably want to get rid of in a year. I'll definitely get a used bike either way.

So if you haven't thrown up in disgust yet, I'd appreciate any help.

Fun fact: The administrator on here (ffarl) was also an admin on a photography forum I used to be a pretty big part of. He sent me a cd of his band. They're pretty good!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Sorry about your father

Depending on your height, weight, etc the GS might be a good choice. Please ride before you cafe anything.....for you own sake.

"Ding"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am 5'10", 169 lbs. I won't be cafe-ing anything anytime soon. If I get a cafe style, it will be pre-made.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I am 5'10", 169 lbs. I won't be cafe-ing anything anytime soon. If I get a cafe style, it will be pre-made.
Forget the R E GT. For what I know is it is slow, heavy and I think cheaply made, uncomfortable and crude. It is not a bike that would be happy sitting on 70MPH out on a long country road.

Get a Naked GS500E. Or, if you like it's looks and mainly ride in town, a TU250X could be a great first bike.

The is a big difference between used, used up and worn out bikes. Cheap bikes cost three times what an expensive one costs: trust me here.

Do a MSF course. Read Zen and the art of, and Hells' Angels by HST.

I guess if you are studying law, you want be around for a while. Well, buy a race quality full face helmet, real race gloves, M/C boots and real protective clothing.

The first bike anyone owns is for learning to survive on the road, how to ride, and how to service and keep a bike in operational condition. And falling off, usually at very slow speeds. The first bike is not a fashion accessary, it's a learning tool.

Danger, is
my business."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm signed up for the local MSF course for later this month. And that's funny, I just ordered ZATAOMM last week on a friends suggestion. I'll check out the other book.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Witworth.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
get an enduro

honda 600 cc enduro, a supermoto, a stret legal trail bike.... way more fun!!! ride it! you drop it, pick it up and keep riding.

no flashy bits, no chrome, no crap

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I'm signed up for the local MSF course for later this month. And that's funny, I just ordered ZATAOMM last week on a friends suggestion. I'll check out the other book.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Witworth.
Wow, that's SO ZEN.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Royal Enfield is not for sustained highway use at 70 MPH. Other than that, not too bad if you have very good mechanical skills.

If you are going that route, you'll spend less money buying a roadworthy 70s Triumph big twin with a clean title; not hard to find and a MUCH better bike..

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Royal Enfield Continental is a fine first bike. They've gotten their act together and it looks nice. It's also priced right.

As Grandpaul said, it's not going to be any good on the highway. It will be a fun bike to learn on.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Royal Enfield Continental is a fine first bike. They've gotten their act together and it looks nice. It's also priced right.

As Grandpaul said, it's not going to be any good on the highway. It will be a fun bike to learn on.
Have you ever ridden any Enfield, ever?

I have.

Only asking.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
i just took a quick spin through the Columbia Craigslist and the pickings a pretty slim in the same price range as what you posted. I some some interesting stuff that I would go for but they weren't suitable for a new motorcyclist, except possibly this one:
2002 KLX300R

Ken

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well my price range is up to about $3000 if I had to pay all in cash. I worry a little bit about buying something with no warranty since I have no idea how to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i just took a quick spin through the Columbia Craigslist and the pickings a pretty slim in the same price range as what you posted. I some some interesting stuff that I would go for but they weren't suitable for a new motorcyclist, except possibly this one:
2002 KLX300R

Ken
That's not street legal.....

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Well my price range is up to about $3000 if I had to pay all in cash. I worry a little bit about buying something with no warranty since I have no idea how to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't worry about warranty. Modern bikes are like Honda cars, change the oil and they last. Don't worry about doing basic maintenance, it's not rocket science. Relax and sniff the market like a dog, and don't let money burn a hole in your pocket. Don't be in a hurry and buy the first bike you fall in love with.

Danger, is my business.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts