Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am newbie here in the forum, first time posting. anyways, here is my current bike, it's a 1979 Suzuki GS750 which I'm building/restoring as a cafe racer, I picked it up about a week ago, and it's not currently running, I am thinking its the points as the plugs are not getting any spark and when I open up the ignition cover the points don't move, I don't know much about these older systems, but I am guessing that the follower is ground down a bit from use??? So I have gotten to where I rebuilt the carbs, cleaned them up, and painted/polished them, that is as far as I have gotten other than ordering a few parts here and there. I am really looking forward to this build, and so I hope to be updating fairly regularly, but before I get too deep in it I want the bike to be running first, call it a little motivation...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What is the best way to hide the battery? I have seen where people have used 3 small batteries and mounted them under a cafe seat, and I've seen them mounted behind the seat in the rear fairing area... just trying to figure out the best approach before I go out and buy a new battery and have to buy another when I get the cafe seat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the best way to hide the battery? I have seen where people have used 3 small batteries and mounted them under a cafe seat, and I've seen them mounted behind the seat in the rear fairing area... just trying to figure out the best approach before I go out and buy a new battery and have to buy another when I get the cafe seat.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hey Chris, welcome.
When was the last time the thing ran? Check the battery first, see if its flat. For mounting a battery depends how you want the bike to look. If you want the battery slash airbox removed from sight people wack the thing under the bumstop. If you can, try a gell type battery. They can lie down on its side.

Have fun with it all

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hey Chris, welcome.
When was the last time the thing ran? Check the battery first, see if its flat. For mounting a battery depends how you want the bike to look. If you want the battery slash airbox removed from sight people wack the thing under the bumstop. If you can, try a gell type battery. They can lie down on its side.

Have fun with it all

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure the last time it ran was in '07, as that is when it was last registered. When I try to jump the bike off from the car battery, it still won't fire. I can see maybe a .5mm gap on the low side follower to crank shaft lobe when I turn the motor over, and the points don't lift at all through a full rotation, so I am assuming it just needs new points, or an electronic ignition... anyone have experience with the latter? I bought a new battery today, and will give it another shot later on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figure the last time it ran was in '07, as that is when it was last registered. When I try to jump the bike off from the car battery, it still won't fire. I can see maybe a .5mm gap on the low side follower to crank shaft lobe when I turn the motor over, and the points don't lift at all through a full rotation, so I am assuming it just needs new points, or an electronic ignition... anyone have experience with the latter? I bought a new battery today, and will give it another shot later on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Are your points in decent shape? If so just adjust them to factory specs. Otherwise try a new pair. Points should work perfectly fine as long as you adjust them well and keep them as such. I would imagine the electronic ignitions work well and probably have a stronger spark maybe but I'm not totally sure. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Are your points in decent shape? If so just adjust them to factory specs. Otherwise try a new pair. Points should work perfectly fine as long as you adjust them well and keep them as such. I would imagine the electronic ignitions work well and probably have a stronger spark maybe but I'm not totally sure. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
541 Posts
As far as i know, only the 77 gs750s came with spoke wheels. My 79 gs750 had mags and it was really hard finding spokes for it so you lucked out there. I bought a 9ah gel battery for mine and used the existing brace that the battery tray mounts to to hide the new battery. I am also running the Dyna III electronic ignition on mine and it works great. Ill try to get some pics for you of the battery mount, the stock 12ah battery wont fit there but the gel one cost me $33 from Batteries Plus.

·
Registered
541 Posts
As far as i know, only the 77 gs750s came with spoke wheels. My 79 gs750 had mags and it was really hard finding spokes for it so you lucked out there. I bought a 9ah gel battery for mine and used the existing brace that the battery tray mounts to to hide the new battery. I am also running the Dyna III electronic ignition on mine and it works great. Ill try to get some pics for you of the battery mount, the stock 12ah battery wont fit there but the gel one cost me $33 from Batteries Plus.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice bike Muskie, I will look into the gel battery, sounds like a good deal (cheaper than the one I got), the battery I bought ended up being backwards anyways.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice bike Muskie, I will look into the gel battery, sounds like a good deal (cheaper than the one I got), the battery I bought ended up being backwards anyways.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think it was the '77 gs750b and '78 gs750c that had the spokes. The '78 gs750e had mags. I ran a dyna on mine too. That's definitely the way to go. If I remember right, I ran Avon AM22s.

If you haven't been there yet, check out thegsresources.com. It's a great site for these bikes.

Here's my '78. Sadly I sold it to finance my racing jones.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts