Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shouldn't have ripped apart the engine of my cb350 twin without being better prepared. I am starting to find parts that I think needs to be replaced but not quite sure. Can you guys determine if these parts can be reused again?

For instance, this rocker arm:

The marks are small indentations. Closer look:

Also, can anyone describe a good method to clean these pistons? Better yet, do I even need to clean them?

Can someone good websites where I can obtain stock and aftermarket parts for my bike? I 've been trying to find clips and rings for my pistons but couldn't find any.

Edited by - savor on Sep 10 2006 9:27:18 PM

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
rockers do not look so bad. use em. as for the pistons... clean the cartbon off the crowns with a good pocket knife.

dude

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
be sure to put new rings in and hone the cyls. you can heck them with a bore guage too. but the pistons look ok. the rocker isnt great, but they arent easy to find in a motor unscored. you definitely need some top end work. the piston is pretty oily. probably a guide. no real blow by on those pistons that i can though.

jc

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a website that sells piston rings and clips for cheap other than ebay?

Edited by - savor on Sep 10 2006 11:43:50 PM

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
have the rocker arms resurfaced at megacycle cams. there are plenty of places on the internet that sell rings etc

dude

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
if its a street bike, i wouldnt worry too much about that rocker. as long as youre using the same cam. (probably just as fucked up on that lobe) watch ebay for pistons etc. they go really cheap sometimes. ive bought a few sets of 1mm overs for my race bike project. they werent easy to find, but well worth the wait. youre looking at 60 a piston, then 20 a ring. so about 240 for pistons and rings from a dealer. i got my shit for less than 50 on ebay. so keep an eye out. and dont forget. youll have to have it bored if youre going bigger. my opinion is if you have it apart, and its no more expensive, ya might as well bore up as big as you can go without creating problems. so a nice stock big over bore would be cool. but then again, you could only go up one sze and leave it at that.

seems like youre going the right direction. keep asking questions.

jc

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've heard that HAP Jones piston kits are to be avoided. Granted, I've heard this because I'm running one...street, not race. Seems the kits to look for are the ART (like it says on the side of your stockies in the pic) as these are the factory replacement pistons and rings.

Honda go sideways!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great feedback again guys. I'll keep the rocker arm for now and replace/resurface them when they get worse.

For the pistons, I guess I'll go .25mm - .5mm bigger. Would something like Item number: 280025335833 on ebay be a reliable set of piston? Can't get a brand name from the seller.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
theyre probably ok for a street bike. i always buy oem honda parts for internals though.

jc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts