Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been lurking these forums for quite a bit of time, probably couple years now. I enjoy all the characters, articles, builds and even newbie hazing. My name is Eric. I'm finishing my undergraduate right now and live in Rhode Island. Yes, glorious RI.

I've owned a CB 750 and 400; my current build is the first bike I truly care about. It's by no means unique, fast or cafe, but it's what I wanted in a daily rider. I concentrated on removing weight from the bike, handling/suspension upgrades and engine cooling. It started as an 82' Heritage Special and has been completely rebuilt. I just need to finish the wiring and change the oil.

Here it is now in my temporary garage,

With my scoot almost complete and my newly inherited free time I'm looking to build a more race oriented motorcycle, so I'll be shopping around this summer for a good project bike. How likely I am to actually ever race is still unknown...but I'm in love with the idea of it.

So where should a newb start? What kind of bike should look at if I ever wanted to hit the tracks?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Welcome,
I would suggest starting with the devil you know, that being the XS650. I think they are a fine race bike, and you already have experience with them. Get 2 parts bikes and start building. You might want to consider the front forks off the GSX600 that HackA has, they would work really well, or I may have an FZ600 front end available soon, depending on what I do on one of my race bikes. Figure out what organization you want to be legal for and build for that. If you have any questions, ask. Do you have a spare XS650 frame? That would be a good place to start.

Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I saw there were not enough pictures posted with the intro and had an aneurism, unlike a female, I can onlt hemorrhage a certain amount.

Ken's coming soon forks are a must have as the gsx firks are almost completely home on a t3.

He says you should race an xs, so do it.

Looks good so far from what I could tell from the half pic half link.

Welcome

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Not sure where Foxpoint is, but my mother spent her whole life in Woonsocket, until she met my father and he rescued her. Her father owned Consumer's Oil, and later, Martel Oil as well. I myself have lived in Woonsocket, N. Smithfield, Barrington & Cumberland, while growing up. What school do you attend?

BTW, little known fact (I'm almost sure of this), RI has the most coastline of any state in the union.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Judey,
Close on the trivia. I believe RI has the most coastline in the contiguous US. Alaska has the most, especially due to all the islands that are part of AK.

Ken

HackA,
By T3, do you mean Guzzi 850? You should make a 90 degree drive unit and dump the shaft so you could put the GSX rear suspension on and use the wheels, too. I would love a chain drive Guzzi. Make one so we can race it.

Ken

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
You're right ken. Alaska's coast is the longest of any state. My mistake. RI has more coast per square mile than any other state.
RI does have the longest official state name, however:

"State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations".

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ZouLou- I'm signed up to 650garage as well, that place has tons of information; I mostly lurk there too. I posted on 650rider before it closed and cannibalized into xs650.com where I am now. I've seen your build, lot of very nice parts, looking forward to it. I plan on replacing things slowly as they break lol.

Ken- What are some popular northeastern organizations? I'm coming from no experience, but I'm still young and looking forward to roadracing courses sometime. Yes, I see why I should build another 650 for racing, but there is something alluring about building something different from my daily, maybe something that vibrates less! I was thinking about a modern front suspension, but opted for race-tech emulators and new springs. Is that any good comparatively?

Judey- Foxpoint is a small neighborhood in Providence but I grew up in Cranston as well. I've got a week left at University of Rhode Island after 5 years of farting around in Narragansett. I used to date a girl from Nort Smitty, wild bunch up north; how'd you like it? The name Rhode Island is a butchering of "Red Island" in Dutch.

Hack- All threads need at least one picture right?

Champ- All of our bridges are falling apart, except the new ones on 95....well, maybe them too, wouldn't surprise me. I've never ridden out to NH, should make a cigarette and booze run on my bike.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
yes Pops, it's going to be a cafe bagger race bike. Windjammer, audio cannon, guzzi hard bags, bub shorties, hd air shocks

and maybe a pair of 34mm mark ll's

The tarozzi running boards should facilitate complete track domination

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Zoo posts pix of his build someplace other than here?

Time to warm up some tar

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
HackA,

The 850T3 is on my short list of touring bikes, one of which I'd love to have. They just look so swank, don't they? One was up for sale a few months back for cheap, just not cheap enough (according to my wife and the scriptures) considering its condition...So, why the Gixxer front? Didn't it already have a dual disk up front, or did you get hosed on the sale? "Oh you wanted the brakes, too? well, that's another $300." My only real concern is that your running boards are too short, and too high. How will the children be able to climb on board? Think of the children, for once.

I'm full of crepes,
Jarrett

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
kens right. you know the xs' already. great racebikes. faaast. you can also come to summit for wera rounds. they run nicely in a few classes.

if you want lots of bar banging and chaos, and have the nads...come race fcb. nothing like 20 bikes into t1 at nhis!

nice work dude.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Sure had fresh forks but as nice as the maserati stuff is..... those 42mm showas are stronger, lighter.... and work better

The mechanical music of a guzzi while it cruises

Intoxicating

I'll fab up booster boards for the chillins.

I bet your lady has the scriptures which conveniently omits the book of Testoteronious

Next time she "goes there" with you

hit her with this snippet from the ancient scrolls themselves

'.........lest a woman forget her kind far outnumber great and mighty motorcycles and how great an honor it is to be shackled, while scantily clad, to it's mass for her to diligently scrub and polish while wiggling her sweet ass..........'

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Did I like living in Rhode Island? I was a kid at the time, in elementary school, and we moved an awful lot - 4 places in 6yrs. My grandparents were both alcoholics, which caused my mother much grief, and we lived near enough to see them (too) often, including a brief time living in the flat upstairs and sleeping in my mother's childhood bedroom. And...

When we finally moved from the state, it was heading to Napa California, truly God's own country, where the first order of business was getting the built-in swimming pool in the ground.

RI isn't all bad, and considering I now live in Detroit metro, where everything's flat & straight, I envy you your roads. If you don't live in the Midwest, you don't need to daydream about riding a bike in New England. I like to visit, but wouldn't want to move back, and I associate that area with the most unhappy period of my childhood, the origin of too many emotional troubles. I do like Providence, and of all the places I can imagine living, it's in the top half of the list. But I just like cities in general. Providence isn't a bad one. Castle Lunch in Woonsocket is one of my favorite places anywhere, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Cranston is familiar, but once again, I was young, and can't really place it in relation to what I know.

I make too many unflattering assumptions about New Englanders (present company here excepted, of course), and I find other parts of the country much easier to settle into... but already this is prolly much more response than you were hoping for.

I like the bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, Rhode Island is quite the place, but I love it in my own angry, bitter New England way. Some of us are a little R.I. (retarded and ignorant) but we're generally nice people, however we are generally too cold from the weather to care about new friends. 'Outta my way ya skewk, I needa gehduu mye cah.'

Providence is nice in the summer without all those damned students everywhere, my small city is having a hard time supporting the growing population. I thought of moving out to Oakland, CA sometime where my sister does design work. People keep warning me I won't want to leave.

My neighbor has a beeeeeautiful 850 though, I think a 75, his daily rider. He doesn't work on it himself but man that thing purs. mmmm good ol' italian growl.

Joe/Jack - I can't seem to find information about FCB on race-uscra.com, is there a dedicated site? or should I put on my "I Spy" glasses and look harder?

bcr - what are shoulder hoops? I'm glad you like em? lol.

Thanks for the comments, I'll post a picture when it's done.
And now I guess I'll start my search for another XS frame.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
quote:Not sure where Foxpoint is.
lived there myself during my risd days. got robbed 3 times. but i still love prov. and yes, do another sx for a race bike....too many cb.'s racing these days.
-parks
ps...yes, alaska does have the longest coastline. always thought maine had the longest coastline in the lower 48. but you can't see russia from your house there.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
For FCB info, look in the rulebook section. Formula CB.

It is a class for stock framed, engined and carburated CB350's and CB360's. You can change the brakes (drum only), forks, shocks, igition and body work, but engine or carb modifications allowed.

Jack

1 - 20 of 25 Posts