Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am completely new to this however its something i have been wanting to do for a while. I recently purchased a 1974 honda cl200 runs great looks great, however i would like to convert it into some what of a cafe racer. Nothing to extreme but i have no idea where to look for parts or even what to do. Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Ill list what we need to help you.

Fill out bio.
Riding Experience?
Mechanical Experience?
Photo? (The bike, not you)
What do you plan on using the bike for?
Does it run?
Miles?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been riding friends bikes for a while but this is my first time to own. I'm not looking for speed this is just for work and recreation.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The general sentiment here will be to get it running well, make it safe (shocks, rubber, brakes, chain), ride it for the year as is. Get to know it. Find out what is right, what is wrong. And then next winter make the mechanical and aesthetic changes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually came across a pretty good deal, I bought it from an old man in a small town he thought it was seized. Hasn't been tagged since 90. Bought it for 800 cash, took it home checked it out turns out the starter was sticking. So I replaced it and cleaned out the tank runs perfect havnt had any problems been driving it for 2 years now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah but I really just want to put a new seat on it and low profile brake light. But I have no idea where to look? Any good websites

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
IF you have been riding it for two years, what do you think it wants to be? I would upgrade the tires, suspension and brakes. Next I would look at making the riding position more comfortable, if possible. Rearsets, lower bars and change the seat to match? finally some cosmetics if they aren't stupid like a side mount license plate, headlight visor, knee dents, checkers, ace or 69 stickers or fake norton script on the gas tank, those are all stupid cosmetics. Oh yeah, I hate fork gators, white grips and no fenders, too.

Ken

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
there are no such things as a cafe seat for a cl200 honda.

If you want to find a seat google is great site. https://www.google.com/search?q=cafe+racer+seat+&aq=f&oq=cafe+racer+seat+&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j62l2.4442&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Now - I really think you shouldn't mess with the bike much. Clubman bars will look silly and result in terrible riding position with stock pegs. You can try some dirtbike or pitbike bars or "superbike bars".

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=mw#hl=en&gs_rn=7&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=BFlRprKhXlED3ZyFcT-FoQ&cp=14&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=superbike+bars&es_nrs=true&pf=p&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=superbike+bars&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.bGE&fp=c8815f08ab941609&biw=1324&bih=804

For seat I recommend you live with stock or man up and make your own. That means a lot of work and learning new skills but it can be fun. At any cost avoid changes where you cut tabs or make any other irreversible changes - the moment you change the bike its value goes down. If it was me I would just do the bars and then concentrate on stuff like shocks from progressive, maintain forks etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
check out roccitycafe.com. This is where I got my seat, bars and some other small stuff. Looks like he doesn't do the bars any more, but everything is good quality and the guy is super knowledgeable, so if you're concerned with a seat fitting or whatever just give him a call. Cant remember his name off the top of my head. First look at some pictures and figure out the look you want (small minimalist seat, dunstall, etc.) then see what's available or close to what you want. Then think about getting low bars and some rear sets and you'll be on your way. Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts