Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Yeah, I am the new guy on the block. I been wanting to do a cafe project for years, but just never found the time or bike, or energy or, well, all seemed like there was a reason.. (The wife might have been one of those, but don't tell her! Love you honey!)

So, the other day I saw a 1979 Yamaha XS750s for sale on the FB yard sale for a really easy price, so I finally pulled the trigger and set myself up with a winter project.

She is rough.. But I think she will pan out to be a sold fun ride once completed.

So, before I dig in and more importantly, before I start coming to all you experts for help, wanted to introduce myself and say thanks!

file1-2.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm....shaft drive 750 triple factory chopper....

....tell me about your project car in the background instead
That is the way is sat the day I bought it. It will be a cafe after winter.

Sorry, not my car. Pic was from the day I picked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
You can set that bike up to be fun to ride... but I'm certain it's not going to look like you think it should/want it to look.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
It will be a cafe after winter.

What psi are you going to use on the steamer? I've always found a lot of cafes run too low of a temperature and pressure to get the results that I like

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can set that bike up to be fun to ride... but I'm certain it's not going to look like you think it should/want it to look.
Why do you say that? New 77 tank. New seat, maybe raise the back, change out the front forks.. Not sure way I can’t get the look I want? Little confused..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What psi are you going to use on the steamer? I've always found a lot of cafes run too low of a temperature and pressure to get the results that I like
Have no idea what you mean about the psi in the steamer.. Sorry.. like I said, first build.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out the bars on that thing :|
? previous owner drags his knuckles on the ground when he walks ?
Bars and trees are going in the trash. Probably along with the front forks. Read something about the front shock on this bike being trash. Not sure why.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Why do you say that? New 77 tank. New seat, maybe raise the back, change out the front forks.. Not sure way I can’t get the look I want? Little confused..

The bike you have is set up (in the stock form) to be a reliable touring bike, not a 50s/60s racer.

Now that doesn't mean you can't have a sporty bike that's enjoyable to ride. After a full service, upgrading the suspension and bearings and brakes and tires can yield dividends on the street.

Is this the bodywork you're putting on It?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The forks have a leading axle, which the bike hackers won't like because it doesn't give them the "look". The forks are fine, they work well when used in an application they were designed for. It's funny in your reading no one mention the problem with the shaft that runs the elevator at the rear.

You really want to do some budget work before you start changing things. unless money is no object. If you clean it up, get it running properly and flip it, you'll likely be happier in the long run. Make a few bucks, learn somethings and keep looking. You may be able to get that bike to look the way you want, but when you're talking about "trash forks" and you don't know why. then you need to do more research on what makes a bike great to ride.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Flat bars are great ! and possibly it's just the photo but from here those ones look to be at least a foot too long. Stock suspension is nothing spectacular on the majority of Japanese motorcycles that were built in that era and with cost being a major consideration but realistically the rest of the bike was also built with the same scale of economy. Personally I would lose the centre stand, passenger pegs and start replacing any heavy steel parts with alloy or plastics, the rear shocks are usually a great place to start with upgrades as the originals probably set Yamaha back all of about 7$ each. I'd make sure all the chassis bearings and bushings were 100% good, rebuild the front forks, then I would spend way too much money on upgrading tires, exhaust and air intake, possibly replace the steel fuel tank. Lastly I would save enough coin to pay for minimal coverage insurance which up here would exceed 600$ annually ymmv.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, it has been away.. LOL..

Hanging out while I am wait to see if anyone answers a question about wiring a m-unit, so I thought I would revisit my original post and give everyone an update.. Whether you want one or not.

The original post showed the bike as I picked it up a little over year ago. At this point, I need to finish wiring, control linkage, brake lines and fuel lines, carb sync.

Like I said, bike the day I picked her up. Not much to look at.
IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0802.JPG

Spent a couple weeks (months) getting her down the the frame and motor.
IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0973.JPG

Stripped the paint and polished the wheels a bit.. Nothing crazy..
IMG_1149.JPG IMG_1120.JPG

Did a little creative frame additions to hid the battery and m-unit. Plus by raising the seat and lowing the tank mount, it hides a bit of the frame rake.
57681308459__459DC2AE-36F2-44C3-8441-539B825F7DBC.JPG

Added some garage paint from my new built home paint booth.. Amazing what a cheap canopy and trap can get you..
IMG_1148.JPG IMG_1168 1.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

Then the rebuild began..
IMG_0184.JPG IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0219.jpg IMG_0281.JPG

And as she sits waiting on the final bits..

IMG_0313_3.jpg

Thanks for watching...

·
Registered
181 Posts
good lord...the stock xs750 is literally the worst motorcyle I have ever owned and the only one I ever owned where after a 30 minute ride I thought..."This thing fucking sucks. That ride was no fun. This bike has to get out of my garage asap." And you have not improved it's performance or looks at all. I really hope someone will let you ride their nice bike so you can realize what you are missing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
good lord...the stock xs750 is literally the worst motorcyle I have ever owned and the only one I ever owned where after a 30 minute ride I thought..."This thing fucking sucks. That ride was no fun. This bike has to get out of my garage asap." And you have not improved it's performance or looks at all. I really hope someone will let you ride their nice bike so you can realize what you are missing.
LOL.. Thanks for you encouraging words.. Glad to see everyone here stops by to help and for support. Warms my heart.

If I wanted performance I would probably ride one of these and not a 40 year old bike.. But that is me. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts