Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my project is a honda cbx 250 from 1987
I got it off eBay last week end and have not had much time with her and when
I have time it seems to be raining so there is not a lot I can do, she is in the garage so she is not in the rain its just my car is in there too so there is not enough room to work on her inside, I have to wheel her out to do any thing much.

so far what I have done is remove the tank wash the hole bike remove bits of broken fairings and the fairing frame from the front and the rear foot pegs

OK so the plan is too take it apart clean up the frame(grind off some stuff bend it straight sand blast powder coat
service engine and Carbs then put her back together well thats very rough. oh and also buy a new tank and make a cafe style seat.
and get some other bits and pieces (battery indicators front and back, new brake leaver),
swap handle bars from left to right and then put them down the forks a bit. make a new front bracket for the head light the indicators and mirrors coz they all used to mount to the fairing.

these are the eBay pics I have, ill get some better ones

this is just to show what i men't about flipping the bars, there is a notch that fits in the top of the tree and when i flip them it still has to fit in the notch thats why i have to swap the right to the left,
hehehe thats a mitsubishi key EEEWWWW

in this one i think the frame is bent a bit but its hard to tell the mounts for the rear springs are different but i think the wheel should be centered

this is a pic of the front frame that held the head light and the mirrors oh and the indicators and the fairing

ill have to figure out how i will make that all work

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
before you take it all apart......does it run?

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
before you take it all apart......does it run?

tex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it runs not great but it runs and seleckts gears by the feel of it i have not ridden it but i have had it runnig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it runs not great but it runs and seleckts gears by the feel of it i have not ridden it but i have had it runnig

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
i'd get it running tip-top before i took it all apart. no need to spend time and money customizing a bike that won't run correctly. that way when you are done customizing....you can throw a leg over it and ride!

good luck.

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
i'd get it running tip-top before i took it all apart. no need to spend time and money customizing a bike that won't run correctly. that way when you are done customizing....you can throw a leg over it and ride!

good luck.

tex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dose any body have any idea of what other tanks i can get to fit?
or at least close to fitting i dont mind fiddeling around and making it fit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dose any body have any idea of what other tanks i can get to fit?
or at least close to fitting i dont mind fiddeling around and making it fit

·
Registered
602 Posts
From the way you initially describe the bike, was it in an accident? From broken fairings to possible bent frame, does it have a clear title? Like the other guys have said, you should have got it running good, licenced and insured, then started hacking it up. Be a bitch to do all the mods and find out it handles like crap because the frame was tweaked out of alignment.

·
Registered
602 Posts
From the way you initially describe the bike, was it in an accident? From broken fairings to possible bent frame, does it have a clear title? Like the other guys have said, you should have got it running good, licenced and insured, then started hacking it up. Be a bitch to do all the mods and find out it handles like crap because the frame was tweaked out of alignment.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
what's wrong with the stock tank? that could look ok. a little bondo, some paint, a little glass work, presto!

any other tank you put on that is going to take a bunch of "fiddling" as you say. make it run first.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
what's wrong with the stock tank? that could look ok. a little bondo, some paint, a little glass work, presto!

any other tank you put on that is going to take a bunch of "fiddling" as you say. make it run first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand with the tank but there is know way I will have that tank when its rideble. the tank has a dint and the cap is a bit (realy) stuffed it looks like it was locked then some one hacked it open with a skrew driver. yeah I have not done any thing too majer yet untill I get the title, by the way I have never done that befor how do I get the title?
and with the tank i would much prefer one thats not so high and also with out so meany lumps and bumps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand with the tank but there is know way I will have that tank when its rideble. the tank has a dint and the cap is a bit (realy) stuffed it looks like it was locked then some one hacked it open with a skrew driver. yeah I have not done any thing too majer yet untill I get the title, by the way I have never done that befor how do I get the title?
and with the tank i would much prefer one thats not so high and also with out so meany lumps and bumps

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
The tank for an XL250 S should bolt right on the front mounts, but it will be shorter. If you are making a new seat, it might work.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
The tank for an XL250 S should bolt right on the front mounts, but it will be shorter. If you are making a new seat, it might work.

Ken

·
Registered
664 Posts
A cb450 nighthawk tank might fit and not look to bad, you could buy a new cap for the old tank also. I don't know how the laws go in the land of wonder but I won't fool with the DMV here in California, mostly cause the lines are ALWAYS! to long. I've found a guy who runs a vehicle registration service, he can "run the numbers" to be sure it's not stolen, then apply for a replacement title. This usualy takes a few weeks and costs $ 80. to $250. I find this is much better to let a pro do this, the DMV usualy works faster for him and doesen't question his forms (he knows how to fill them out correctly and knows what they want to see. Also, it's no hastle for me and I get to work on the bike, not waste hours and days at the DMV, who needs that BS?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts