Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't gonna be a true Cafe Racer, but it's gonna have some hues I have taken from the Cafe Racer world. I just wanted something a little different.

My dads had this motorcycle sitting in his backyard for a few years. I kept bugging him to give it to me but he never would, finally lastweek he said he was cleaning up, and if I wanted it I had better come get it.

When i got it the motor was locked up solid but after a full days work I had it running and riding. Once I knew it'd run I decided to start stripping it down to build it how I wanted.

Here is pretty much what it looked like when I got it, including the sweet luggage rack that went right into the trash.

And here is how it looks as of today. Today I spent most of the day working on the frame work for the cafe racer type solo seat I am building. I hope to get all the fiberglass done on the seat this week. Then it's off to the Carnage Crew Garage to have some new handlebars built for it, and to make the rear into a hardtail.

Just running the stock bars turned upsidedown and backwards for now.

Man this thing is tiny!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Really a nice shaped moped :D

Couldn't u use the original springs at the tail?

Or are the crossmembers justfor testing?

Anyway: I like thos tiny little boiks...

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by Psyco Diver 69

why a hard tail?
Because to get it to sit as low as I want there isn't enough room for any up travel in the suspension.

If you look close you can see that the rear tire will be up inside the solo seat.

The original shocks still bolt on for now, the strut that is on there is just temporary so that I can push it around, it'll have something more permanent done shortly.

I've ridden many hardtails, and I know that they aren't the most comfy, but I'll probably never ride this bike more than 10 miles in 1 shot. To me the look overcomes the comfort on this one.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RCCrawler
I've ridden many hardtails, and I know that they aren't the most comfy, but I'll probably never ride this bike more than 10 miles in 1 shot. To me the look overcomes the comfort on this one.
Ghey. No wait, let me check....yup...gay.

espically this part:
"I'll probably never ride this bike more than 10 miles in 1 shot. To me the look overcomes the comfort on this one"

You can get the "low look with suspension, short shocks, plus make a cutout in the rear of the tail so the tire can go past the sides, it is what some racebikes do. There are ways around it if you are creative enough, not every solution for the "look" should be to just hardtail it.

Nice Starfire btw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by ejand22

What's the point if you don't ride it?! Are you going to just put it in your living room?
I will ride it, just gonna blast it around town, like I said never more than like 10 miles at a time. This isn't exactly the bike I'd like to get out on the highway with anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Ghey. No wait, let me check....yup...gay.
Awesome, I'm glad you like it.

You can get the "low look with suspension, short shocks, plus make a cutout in the rear of the tail so the tire can go past the sides, it is what some racebikes do. There are ways around it if you are creative enough, not every solution for the "look" should be to just hardtail it.
The rear tire is less than 1/2" from hitting everything, not just the seat. I already have the seat cutout for it to go up in. From what I've found it's almost better to be a hardtail than to only have a 1/2" or 1" of travel. It's much harsher to bottom out.

I did think about lengthening the swingarm a few inches, then I'd have a little more room for some suspension.

Nice Starfire btw.
Thanks, that's my brother in laws.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Why not just leave it with the original suspension? Personally, I'd worry about the hartail setup stressing the shit out of the little frame. It put the bending moment at a really bad place.

--Just my opinion, Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by chrisf

Why not just leave it with the original suspension? Personally, I'd worry about the hartail setup stressing the shit out of the little frame. It put the bending moment at a really bad place.

--Just my opinion, Chris
Because if i leave it with the original suspension then it will look just like every other CB200 ever made. The stock suspension makes it sit way higher too, not the look I am going for.

Like I posted before the strut that is in there right now is just for mockup purposes and will be changed here shortly. It'll be tied in well and should hold up fine.

·
Registered
546 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RCCrawler

I'll probably never ride this bike more than 10 miles in 1 shot. To me the look overcomes the comfort on this one.
Have to go with Geeto on this on as one of the dumbest things said on this forum. That goes against everything this forum is for. We try to make vintage bikes as fast and handle as well as possible so they are fun to ride and here u are making it uncomfortable and handle like hell just for looks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for ruining everything you guys stand for.

I am having fun with this build, and I will have fun riding it when I am done with it. Bottom line isn't that what it's all about?

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
you will find that with the seat that low.... you will be riding on your tailbone. put some suspension on it... lower the front end.. get some clip ons... and party!!!!

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
shit .. if you throw the original seat on it with the storage rack... you be able to take a ladyfriend with you for a picnic.

thats what i'd do

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The Bike is not Gay, just your intended 10 miles at a time use for it comment. I understand you are trying to have fun...etc...not trying to crush that, just trying to prod you a little to do some more work. YOu are willing to spend 100 hours making your own seat, but you won't spend 20 with the internet, some pen and paper, and figure out how to get a working lowered suspension. You can ask plenty of us here - we'll give you a little shit for it but we'll help you figure it out. Gotta earn your stripes right?

BTW I really hope you don't think you are being "original" by building a "slammed" cafe bike with hardtail struts but really it has been done to death. Proteal55 did it twice several years ago with a 750 and a 450 posted the pics on the net and since then lots of them turn up at hot rod and bike shows (apparently it is popular with the rockabilly crowd) trying to emulate it. What I have yet to see is one that is slammed with a working suspension - figure that out and you really will be different.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote: shit .. if you throw the original seat on it with the storage rack... you be able to take a ladyfriend with you for a picnic.

That's a super idea... send me the storage rack ( I really like the look of that top box), and I'll take my lady friend with me for a picnic.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Pinche Chingadera

Wow you look super huge on that thing. Whatever floats your boat.
everybody looks superhuge on a cb200. Casey is 5'5" and even she dwarfed the thing, they are like one step up from a monkey bike. I think some of the cb175s were physically bigger.

I used to own one, and to ride it I looked like Gentle Ben. Riding that bike I was always afraid someone would toss a fez at me.....

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I don't really understand why anyone would cut up what actually appeared to be a really nice vintage bike, that by all rights,

appeared to be quite worthy of conserving

no comment on the outcome thus far or the direction it appears to be headed but I would pay very decent money for a lil toy like that

and consider it a sound investment I could ride from time to time with no concerns for remaking it

other than putting a proper hydraulically actuated brake on the front

I can't say I've ever seen one that color before.

see if you can get it even lower and ya may as well take all the travel out of the front forks too

I'm also thinking front axle extensions would eliminate the need for handlebars and wouldn't it be cool to weld some foot pegs on the fuel tank?!?!?!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Love the two tone paint, looks nice. I've seen cb750 lowering kits out there that bolt to the original lower shock mounts and moves the lower shock mount to the back of the bike. The effect is the shock is now positioned at an angle and it also lowers the rear end down more on the tire. That should give you what your looking for and still have some sort of suspension under the rear end of the bike. I'm sure the same kit would work with your bike - or you can fab one.

BTW - I don't think you need to slam the bike down as with your size, it will slam the suspension down anyways. (no personal slam on you - your just a big guy on a small bike). You have a cute cb200, I'm sure what every you do will work out ok.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts