Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, newbie from NM here. Just bought a mint 72 CB500 today, looking here for some ideas and opinions for cafe treatment.

72 CB500 Cafe
71 Cutlass, Kenne Bell blown 6.0L LSx
99 Cummins Dodge Ram

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who makes rearsets that retain the brake switch? I got 4:1 exhaust already thats gonna stay, looking for a seat/cowl also.

72 CB500 Cafe racer project
99 Cummins Dodge Ram

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Geez Tex,
Not only do you pay attention, you even quote me, kinda?
Ken

Ryan,
Suspension, brakes and tires will need attention in addition to cosmetics.
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bike has some headshake all through the speed range, any common problems with older cb's and head shake? I plan on clubman bars, but would a sttering damper be a good idea.

72 CB500 Cafe racer project
99 Cummins Dodge Ram

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
wow you actually planned out your gayness....(heheeee). I hope your choice of clubmans was not because they are easy to install because they are not on the wider fours (although joe will disagree with me). Personally if you want low bars I would go with a tomaselli adjustable clubman or clipons but hey...that's just me.

the headshake is probably worn steering head bearings. Do yourself a favor and put a new set of timken bearings in the head - way worth it. Also I would check if your rims are true, an out of shape front rim will also cause head shake. Finally, check your swingarm bushings (put the bike on the center stand and see if you can move the rear wheel side to side).

a dampner is a good idea but it is not a band aid fix for headshake that wasn't designed to be there in the first place. redo your bearings first and then evaluate. If you are going to run a modern non-ribbed front tire then I would consider a dampner, some modern tires on the 750 and 550 chassis can lead to a small high speed wobble.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brought it home tonight, pretty clean bike for $500.

Edited by - ryan364 on Feb 01 2008 8:29:28 PM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts