Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Wow. If they lose a nascar date, they lose a ton of money. If the lose a ton of money, you'll never see another track improvement. LRRS doesn't bring in enough money to do much.

Track rental fees have increased greatly over the last few years. Friend of mine doesn't run track days anymore since he can't come close to breaking even.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yeah, the track will degrade, maybe they'll just run it as dirt. nother springfield!!

get your wera stuff straight boys. buy a transponder now!

see you at summit!

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
wish i could tell you i was in the bidding......

but the fact is that i have exceeded my monthly expenditures on a 1975 Yamaha RD200........sweet two stroke power!

yep, guess we'll see lots more of you fuckers down south!

cheers,

texy

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
Bye, bye Vintage Celebration
That's the car event, right? Well, that event was dying anyways. The track scheduled it the same weekend as a big event in CA. Fewer and fewer cool cars have been showing up in the past few years because of that.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yep, vintage celebration was way better in August.

Here's what funny about NASCAR and tracks. A company the size of SMI could quite possibly buy NHIS for one reason....to move the NASCAR dates to another track that is more profitable or holds more people. The tracks negotiate with NASCAR for races...so if you own the tracks you can just take them off the table and lobby to have the dates moved to one of your other tracks.

The other option for NHIS might be the destruction of the road course and the installation of additional stands. The place holds about 100,000 now. If you can add 50,000 seats, and an average of $200 spend per person..that's $10,000,000 more in your pocket every NASCAR race (assuming you can fill the stands).
I doubt all their roadcoarse money in a year comes close to $10mil...no where close. Also...you dump the road course, run a skeleton maintainance crew and only populate the track with a full staff for a couple of dates a year.

Another option...you take away the NASCAR dates, pay for the track with the millions you make moving the races to larger tracks, you keep running the road course with a full boat of dates and rentals. This seems unlikely considering a NH track has to be close 4 months of the year.

I think the most likely option will be tearing down the road course and putting in more stands, and renting the oval to the driving schools. More money, less noise, fewer employees. LRRS is a tough call though...it's the largest club racing organization in the country. Nothing to be scoffed at money wise.

Perhaps a new, basic road course? I doubt it, too many legal problems. Perhaps a "motorsports park", doubt it, legal problems and closed 4 months a year.

If it was my money...I'd be tearing down the road course a putting up more seating, and renting the track to the Nascar Driving Schools and testing. If the deal is made soon, it's conceivable that we'd see the changes before next year...doubtful though. I'm guessing they'd wait until the end of next season since the 2008 NASCAR dates are already made. Note that we've lost our October date next year. Think about it...we lost a Columbus day Monday in October....now who would want that date? My guess it nobody wants that date to race....however the bulldozers want that month to start work. That's how I'd plan it out if it was my track (and I was a NASCAR baron).
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:
Yep, vintage celebration was way better in August.

Here's what funny about NASCAR and tracks. A company the size of SMI could quite possibly buy NHIS for one reason....to move the NASCAR dates to another track that is more profitable or holds more people. The tracks negotiate with NASCAR for races...so if you own the tracks you can just take them off the table and lobby to have the dates moved to one of your other tracks.

The other option for NHIS might be the destruction of the road course and the installation of additional stands. The place holds about 100,000 now. If you can add 50,000 seats, and an average of $200 spend per person..that's $10,000,000 more in your pocket every NASCAR race (assuming you can fill the stands).
I doubt all their roadcoarse money in a year comes close to $10mil...no where close. Also...you dump the road course, run a skeleton maintainance crew and only populate the track with a full staff for a couple of dates a year.

Another option...you take away the NASCAR dates, pay for the track with the millions you make moving the races to larger tracks, you keep running the road course with a full boat of dates and rentals. This seems unlikely considering a NH track has to be close 4 months of the year.

I think the most likely option will be tearing down the road course and putting in more stands, and renting the oval to the driving schools. More money, less noise, fewer employees. LRRS is a tough call though...it's the largest club racing organization in the country. Nothing to be scoffed at money wise.

Perhaps a new, basic road course? I doubt it, too many legal problems. Perhaps a "motorsports park", doubt it, legal problems and closed 4 months a year.

If it was my money...I'd be tearing down the road course a putting up more seating, and renting the track to the Nascar Driving Schools and testing. If the deal is made soon, it's conceivable that we'd see the changes before next year...doubtful though. I'm guessing they'd wait until the end of next season since the 2008 NASCAR dates are already made. Note that we've lost our October date next year. Think about it...we lost a Columbus day Monday in October....now who would want that date? My guess it nobody wants that date to race....however the bulldozers want that month to start work. That's how I'd plan it out if it was my track (and I was a NASCAR baron).
JohnnyB
JB - Sounds like you are a NASCAR baron.

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
do you really think lrrs is the biggest?? compared to wera, ccs, or usgpru?

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
ccs is defunct. usgpru is miniature. wera.....we'll i'd be surprised if the lrrs had as many active members.

matter of fact i out right doubt it.

wera kicks ass. races at like two dozen tracks, coast to coast.

lrrs couldn't hold wera's big sweaty jock strap.

texy

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
guys-

i heard some NASCAR pundits this morning. it seems the speculation is that the new NHIS owner, Bruton Smith, is looking to take one or both of the NHIS/NASCAR dates and move it to Las Vegas or another of his tracks (i guess he ownes Lowes Speedway in Charolette NC, Atlanta Speedway, Texas Speedway, and Las Vesgas Speedway) also, there's something about switching the Texas and the potential new Las Vegas dates so the Texas race doesn't conflict with the opening of white-tail deer season in Texas, which apparently really affects NASCAR ticket sales. So basically, without any word from B. Smith who is supposed to hold a news conference sometime today, NHIS was purchased (for something over 360million) to get the NASCAR race dates and what will happen to NHIS is totally up in the air.....it doesn't sound great for us.

i just read that Smith also ownes the oval in Bristol, TN and the road corse Infineon/Sears Point in Sonoma, CA.

who knows
-tt

Edited by - ttilghman on Nov 02 2007 11:17:11 AM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
well, i meant, ccs, or asra or whatever theyre called now. yeah, usgpru is small, but i was thinking they are probably abut as big. i bet ahrma is bigger.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
LRRS is the biggest racing "club" in the country, they race at a single track. Meaning they can have 1000 race entries at NHIS at a single meet, like almost every other weekend all season. Do you think WERA generates 1000 entries every three weeks or so? They might, but they have to travel the country to do it. LRRS does it right at the same track year after year.
1000 entries at just 100 per....that's a $100,000 weekend for somebody. Average for LRRS is probably more like 600 entries for a weekend. Find another club doing that at the same track over and over again. A few tracks in Cal. might come close.
I'm sure WERA and AHRMA both have more members spread across the country. But LRRS is getting 600+ of their members to show up eight or nine times a year at the same track.
That's a whole lot of money....but not enough money to keep a track open by itself.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
If NHIS loses both of it's NASCAR dates I can't see it being financially viable anymore. All the weekend roadcourse activities would probably, maybe, just about pay their property tax.

Of course, from what I've heard, LRRS is OWNED by NHIS. LRRS probably generates from $500-600k a year for them. MAYBE the track could take in another million from rentals...but still, 1.5 million...not enough to keep that place open. They could sell off a bunch of land...but then people would build houses and noise would become a big problem.

Tough call...kind of hard to believe they'd axe all the NASCAR dates at NHIS, it's the only NASCAR action in New England...but then...I wonder how much of their fan base lives in New England.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
rosko-

yeah, that seems to be a big possibility....that smith could buy the track for the nascar dates, move them to vegas where he's just rebuilt the track and supporting grounds...where it's reported that on corporate boxes alone, he could make more money than a sellout at NHIS. this could leave NHIS flapping in the wind, in that the NASCAR dates are worth more than the real estate. apparently, he did the same kind of thing with another NASCAR oval, Rockingham, where he bought it for somthing like 100million, took the NASCAR dates, then sold it for 4million.

so yeah, maybe it could be developed more for regional racing and schools, or maybe he'd sell it to someone (Tex) at a cut rate without NASCAR, or it could just dissapear.

-tt

1 - 20 of 75 Posts