Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a cb550 for 60 dollors.was tring to turn it over and nothing would happen.kick starter would go down half way but would
not move the motor.put the bike in 1 2 3 4 and tied to move it with the clutch in and with clutch out,all it does is drag the tire.the bike has been sitting since 1981 out doors mostly.not sure if the motor is siezed or if the cyclinders have rust??? or could the clutch be stuck to the fly wheel??? or ??? please help... p.s
future cafe bike

cafe racers!!!!!
bobbers!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
You guess correctly....motor is siezed. Get out the wrenches it's going to require that you completely rebuild the engine if you ever want it to run.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how can i remove the cam and chain with it not moving

cafe racers!!!!!
bobbers!!!!!!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
go to the auto parts or hardware store and buy a couple of cans of something called pb blaster.

Then pull the spark plugs (you may have to spray on them to get them to turn the middle plugs are going to be a pain) and spray the shit out of it into the spark plug hole. Close it back up and wait overnight. The next day go out there and do it again, wait another day. The next day go out and with the bike in neutral put it on the main stand and climb aboard (have the plugs out and the cylinders full of pb blaster. Pull all your weight on the kickstarter and wait. If it doesn't give right away respray and wait another day to repeat.

If you can't find pb blaster go to the auto parts store and get diesel oil.

If you still can't get it loose, pull the motor turn it upsidedown, and pull the bottom of the case off and make sure the crank is not rusted. If it is, you will have to get another motor.

I hope you got a title or registration or some kind of paper for this bike because without that he should have paid you to take it away. Not trying to be mean, just telling it like it is. Sometimes a Free or $60 bike is no deal at all, espically when it has been sitting outside for 26 years.

edit: oh yeah and don't bounce on the kick starter, you are liable to damage the return if you do. If it won't move with your full body weight on it, it won't move. Also if she give be ready so you don't fall over with the bike - happened to me with my 750 last night and I have been limping all day.

Edit part deux: The rings will be junk from this process but somehow I doubt that is the least of your worries. The clutch has likely rusted together too BTW and will have to be pried apart. After it breaks free drain the oil to check for water - that will tell you if the bottom end is shot.

Edited by - Geeto67 on Feb 02 2007 3:33:05 PM

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If you decide to not continue with the project, I would be interested in buying some parts--seat, maybe tank, side panels, mufflers, front fender, etc. for my 550.

I got mine for free with a title, and it turns over with both the kick and electric. I was just lucky I guess, but free will still cost $500 at least in the end before it is on the road.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im tring that pb blaster stuff right know hope it works,this bike has bright future

cafe racers!!!!!
bobbers!!!!!!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
...this bike has bright future
I don't want to jump to any conclusions but 20 years is a freakin long time to sit outdoors for any bike. How about some pics so we can see how bad it is and tell you whether it is worth saving or not. At some point it doesn't matter what you are going to do with it (stock or modified) the bike is not worth saving.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
...this bike has bright future
I don't want to jump to any conclusions but 20 years is a freakin long time to sit outdoors for any bike. How about some pics so we can see how bad it is and tell you whether it is worth saving or not. At some point it doesn't matter what you are going to do with it (stock or modified) the bike is not worth saving.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
removed the head and let the pb blaster sit for 2 days.still would not turn over.someone had sugested to heat the out side of the cylinders with propane and hit the pistons with to hammers.[the wood end on the piston]..... finaly got the motor to free up.removed the cylinder and found some rust below the pistons.i got a spare motor at a junk yard and pulled it apart found good pistons,head and valve train.now im just waiting for the gaskets and book.

cafe racers!!!!!
bobbers!!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
removed the head and let the pb blaster sit for 2 days.still would not turn over.someone had sugested to heat the out side of the cylinders with propane and hit the pistons with to hammers.[the wood end on the piston]..... finaly got the motor to free up.removed the cylinder and found some rust below the pistons.i got a spare motor at a junk yard and pulled it apart found good pistons,head and valve train.now im just waiting for the gaskets and book.

cafe racers!!!!!
bobbers!!!!!!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:

cafe racers!!!!!
bobbers!!!!!!
if you had rust below the pistons, then the chances are good you have rust in the bottom end of the bike. If you got a spare motor, just use that whole motor.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:

cafe racers!!!!!
bobbers!!!!!!
if you had rust below the pistons, then the chances are good you have rust in the bottom end of the bike. If you got a spare motor, just use that whole motor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THE BOTTOM END WAS SOALING IN OIL AND LOOKS OK. IM A CADI TECH SO I
SEE CARS ALL DAY BUT NO BIKES.STILL SHOULD BE RUFFLY THE SAME RIGHT .

cafe racers!!!!!
bobbers!!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THE BOTTOM END WAS SOALING IN OIL AND LOOKS OK. IM A CADI TECH SO I
SEE CARS ALL DAY BUT NO BIKES.STILL SHOULD BE RUFFLY THE SAME RIGHT .

cafe racers!!!!!
bobbers!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts