Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine had this bike in his shed for some time and sold it to me with a title and 2 keys for a good price. It is a complete bike showing 9000 miles. There isn't any rust on the frame anywhere, and all the plastic and chrome cleaned up well. As of right now, I cleaned out the tank, put a battery in and got it started on one cylinder. It shows good compression and shouldn't need too much to get it up and running for next year. I had done some work for a nearby motorcycle shop owner, and in return he said he would perform the tune up/maintenance on it. Once that is done, I will look at everything else that may need to be worked on/replaced. All I'm looking to do with this bike is make it a solid runner that I can use as a commuter and use for light off road fun. Sorry it's not a huge cafe build, but it is exciting to bring back to life a nice old bike non the less.

On a side note, someone had to move my GT380 at work and dropped it. It dented the tank and cracked the side cover. I was pretty pissed, but made lemonade out of lemons. I repaired the side cover with fiberglass, stripped the fenders of the white paint and mounted my other black tank I had. It's back to looking like a nice stock bike. At least I had the parts to make it happen:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I wouldnt change anything on it!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raven, won't change a thing except things that need it like chain, sprocket, tires, ect. I'll give it a good look over when I get it back to my shop. Things that are getting done at the motorcycle shop is change the points and condesner, adjust cam chain, adjust valves, check timing, oil change, new spark plugs, check air cleaner, rebuild carbs, sync carbs and give the bike a once over and make recommendations to what needs to be done.
texmawby, to answer your questions: $600.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
that is a really clean cl i would recommend inspecting the brake shoes very carefully for delaminating
if they look ok that still may not be the case, what i have done is put some rivets in,2 on each end like the olden days shoes
years ago i had a set of jap front brake shoes come loose and am probably lucky to be alive,threw me like a rag doll over the bars
problem with the new aftermarket shoes that i had gotten was they don't stop as good as the oem jobs

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this is good advice. I have never heard of them coming apart like that. I will look closely when I inspect them and take necessary steps to make sure they are safe. Steering towards tires in stock sizes, for on/off road use, there are two choices on bike bandit, I believe I will get the Shinko 244s. I had those on my TS185 I had and never had a problem with them. Waiting to see if i get some Christmas money then I will get them;)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well this is good advice. I have never heard of them coming apart like that. I will look closely when I inspect them and take necessary steps to make sure they are safe. Steering towards tires in stock sizes, for on/off road use, there are two choices on bike bandit, I believe I will get the Shinko 244s. I had those on my TS185 I had and never had a problem with them. Waiting to see if i get some Christmas money then I will get them;)
Are those shinkos dot rated or legal for on road in our state? I seem to remember looking at them for my scrambler and they weren't legal for on road use in Michigan. May be a different model tho.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Nice looking bike. Glad to hear it will stay more or less the way it is. The world has enough Cafe Racer hack jobs and not nearly enough cool old original bikes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked the Bike Bandit site, and it said they are DOT approved. Phew! It looks like there may be different speed ratings though. I will be going with the slowest speed rating since it will not be on the highway.
Teazer, I believe you are correct. I really like seeing a nice preserved bike that someone is not affraid to ride. I enjoy spending time looking and reading through peoples builds, but I have noticed that it usually takes over a year to build and everyone runs into problems along the way. These old Japanese bikes are built well and run 'right' as stock units. I have learned enough over the last few years to replace worn out bits with confidence. Plus, I'd rather be riding the darn thing rather than working on it (and getting no where in my case). Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I gotta second that comment on the brake shoes-I've had several old bikes that had been sitting a long time do this exact thing. Fortunately it always happened while moving the bike around the garage, but it can certainly be dangerous.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
on the shinko 244 i have run them front and back they are very soft rubber and tend to be a bit squirmy on the road and the only 19 front is a 2.75 really skinny wears out FAST
i like the vee rubber 163 running a 19 90 100 on the front of my sl350, i just with they had an 80 but the 90 seems fine, good wear, feel and grip nice for dirt/gravel as well

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vee tires were the other option. I have no experience with them, but I will look into that. Thanks. With the stock sizes being 3X18 front and 3.5X18 rear, those were the only options I found. I don't want to use wider tires
as I've heard and read about how they are not safe and I don't want to find out the hard way.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brent,
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'd like to keep it. I have a lead on another one if you really need one? It's suppose to be in same condition, with title! Let me know.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Vee tires were the other option. I have no experience with them, but I will look into that. Thanks. With the stock sizes being 3X18 front and 3.5X18 rear, those were the only options I found. I don't want to use wider tires
as I've heard and read about how they are not safe and I don't want to find out the hard way.
You could go to a 3.50 front and a 4.00 rear and still be within the safe limits of tire size for a 1.85" WM2 front rim and a 2.15" WM3 rear rim.
What size are your rims?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't really know. Doing a search says that the stock sizes are 3X18 front and 3.5X18 rear. It's a totally stock bike with original tires. I don't know enough about the Honda lingo; WM2 or WM3. Is it stamped on the rim?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Yes, it should be stamped on the wheel. I've seen the 3.00" tire is standard for a 1.85" front rim, but saw the CL360 may have only a 1.6" rim. If it is 1.6" front I would not go more than a 3.10" tire.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts