Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you will be happy to know I finally got another taillight!!!

Edited by - Chip on Dec 09 2007 02:17:52 AM

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Sorry,
Side mount tail lights suck. They throw off the symetry and just hang out there in the wind. I have an unreasonable desire to unload on them with a baseball bat. The idea of little pieces of plastic, glass and metal flying around with a nice clean spot on the bike is satisfying to me. The tail light should be center mounted on the fender or blended into the rear of the seat. In this day and age of LED lights, there is no reason to hang anything out in the breeze.

Gimme a Louisville Slugger

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first taillight I put on there was center mounted, and the tire took care of it on the first big dip I hit in the road. I think the side mount has a nice vintage look to it. Anything is better than what I had on there. I kinda want to keep the LEDs on my R6.

Edited by - Chip on Dec 09 2007 8:13:04 PM

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Kenessex and TenTwelve are right, Chip. That off-center tail-light looks unbalanced. It makes me lean over in my chair, and twist my neck back the other way, straining to make it right somehow. It is going to slowly drive all of us mad.

Maybe you could make a bracket that attaches to the under-seat frame rails, and extends out behind the cowl, so you can mount the tail-light in the center, directly behind the cowl. Or maybe you could find a pair of lights that have brake lights AND turn signal lights built into them, and you could side-mount those like you did in the photo.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hardly anything stays the same on that bike for more than a few weeks, so I'm sure I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chip,
That off set tail light is sure an attention getter. Problem is it may attract attention from the wrong person. The Federal MV regs mandate that the tail light on a motorcycle is on the center line of the vehicle. If the light is noticed by an informed (and Over zelous) LEO he/she might stop you and notice that your also missing a rear fender and your directional signals are gone. Throw in a loud exhaust and any problem on your documentation and in my state your approaching the tow away zone.

The machine looks great it's a shame we have to dance around all these stupid laws (Most LEOs would just ignore them, but you never know). What color are you going to paint it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to high school with most of the LEO's here, so I don't really have a problem with them. I'm still figuring out the best way to mount the light, but until then, it's at least somewhat streetable. It's still 80 degrees here, so I'm riding every day. It's going to be the color of the tail section. I had given up on finding a tank I liked, so I went ahead and painted the original scrambler tank the silver/black stripe. Of course, as soon as I finished, I found a tank.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
tail light on the right...makes me want to drag it somehow. (how did you get THOSE scratches?) cut a hole in that tail and do a sexy insertion job. it'll get our aerodynamic juices flowing.
-parks

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not one to tell people what to do with their bikes. That's the wonderful thing about the motorcycle world is there are so many different bikes. I honestly don't think it looks bad at all.

However, if you want something BRIGHT, original and fairly hidden and trying to get rid of that clearance issue and have it center mounted...

You may contact this guy to see if it would fit your bike.

It's an LED setup that sits underneath. It'd give lots of clearance, fairly well hidden and do it's job when needed.

http://pakbikes.net/PS1000LE/FLEDA002.html

His name is Phil.

·
Registered
149 Posts
that fleda system is 400 fucking dollars!!!!!!

is thaat guy insane....... Led's are like 3 dollars for 30 on ebay... get serious.! If you can solder you can make stuff with led's and spend the rest on cocaine so you can stay up for a week making it and fighting the "demons" in your crazy brain!

----------------------------
http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
Holy snapola batman, I never realized it was 400 bucks haha, i've seen a kit in person, looked nice! Damn if i'd had known they were that much i'd have looked for an alternative. He's a nice guy though. Well, if you can get an alternative kit off ebay that runs off of 12v you can pull off the same thing (or call the guy see if he'll make you a deal, he makes them for ducatis so that's probably why)

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

Edited by - koihoshi on Jan 15 2008 01:35:35 AM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts