Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out that old CB160 I bought a couple days ago, hooked up the battery off the garden tractor and hoped it would start right up, like the guy that sold it to me said it would ( I really didn't believe him).

So, I have spark to the points when I open them with a screwdriver, but no fire at the plugs. The plugs look new so the PO probably replaced them, and the chance that they would both be bad is slim. The point spark seemed a bit weak to me, but I was working out in the bright sun.

I wondered about the jump wire battery hookup, but the headlight burns bright, though the electric starter only makes a little click.

I only wish my mechanical ability matched my enthusasim.

Jack

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If you've got spark at the points, it likely isn't an issue with the ignition switch.

1. Clean up the points with a file.

2. Temporarily bypass (or just replace) the condenser.

3. Pull the plugs and check the strength of the spark by kicking it over with the plug re-inserted into the plug wore. If so, try unscrew ingthe plug caps and trimming a bit off the plug wires.

4. Check for loose/shitty connections between the points and the coil.

Its a really bare bones setup with one coil and a 360 degree crank. Eliminate these variables and you might be looking at a bunk coil.

·
Registered
569 Posts
what Krap said, also pull the caps off the wires , cut 3/8" off the wire and reinstall the caps., goes without saying, check the point gap and timing. but get spark to the plugs first. Buy a good batt.

dch.

·
Registered
569 Posts
what Krap said, also pull the caps off the wires , cut 3/8" off the wire and reinstall the caps., goes without saying, check the point gap and timing. but get spark to the plugs first. Buy a good batt.

dch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you can't turn the starter off the battery, you won't be able to get the bike fired. Get a good battery and give it another go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts