Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo! New here, just thought I would say hey. I'm planning on building up some kind of vintage bike in the near future, and I look forward to pic-spamming everyone :D Right now my daily driver is a 2007 suzuki boulevard m50 - darn near 60mpg so its staying bone stock except for a few minor things like windshield/luggage. I would really like to get my hands on an older bike like an old xs650 or a honda CB... Or if the price is right maybe a newer bike like a suzuki GS500 or a suzuki bandit 400 (hoping for one of those is useless, i know) Anyway - cool site!

·
Registered
699 Posts
welcome to the site! i've only been here a week or so but have already found it very welcoming and informative. Seems to be a good bunch of people here. there are several here, from what i have seen, that pretty much have bike collections, so this may be a good place to start looking for your project. i know there is a nice looking CB350 for sale here on the forum. Good luck!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by 2smokeTyler

welcome to the site! i've only been here a week or so but have already found it very welcoming and informative. Seems to be a good bunch of people here. there are several here, from what i have seen, that pretty much have bike collections, so this may be a good place to start looking for your project. i know there is a nice looking CB350 for sale here on the forum. Good luck!!
Ahh yes, I've been eyeing that CB350 quite a bit this morning :) Not quite in the position to start a project *just* yet though, I'll be moving into a better apartment soon with a garage, and once I get all settled in there I will probably start actively looking for a project bike. I must admit, seeing the buildup of that honda cb360 in the forums here has made me think "yeah! I can go ahead and get one! store it at the parents house! they wont mind..." heheheh :D

·
Registered
699 Posts
ah, when you move out of the house, parents are for 3 things...storage, home cooked meals (when you get tired of ramen noodles) and emergency $100-$200 interest free loans. JUST KIDDING! and yes, i did find this place welcoming, at least you guys answer posts. the guys over at USA2strokers wont answer anything i post over there. RD yamaha jealousy perhaps? anyway, good luck with sourcing out a CB!!!

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
I have a Suzuki Bandit 400 in my shed I'd like to be gone. Problem is, it's not mine. Oh, and the previous owner highsided it in turn 9 at Loudon many years ago. But all the pieces are there.

Wow I'd like that thing gone.

·
Registered
699 Posts
dang unga...that bike has history! high sided at loudon, that gives the bike some character!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timing, timing :) I've always loved those little bandit 400's, great little bikes. Maybe I'll bug you about it in a few months [8D]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and - heres pics of the daily driver - soon to have a windshield and a cruise control!

Heyo!

·
Registered
699 Posts
good looking bike! i am anti-windshield however. it looks sooooo much better without it!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Before we get into this any further we need to know where you stand on the clubmans vs. clip ons issue and which ones are going on that suzook. cheers. bcr

·
Registered
699 Posts
i know i wasn't asked, but i'll air my opinion anyway on the clubmans vs. clipons...i have clubmans on my bike. why? because they look more period on the ride and i didnt want an empty top triple clamp. also, at the time i couldnt find any cheap clip ons and i had already painted my trees. that is where i stand. i just dont find them hideous like some people on here do. now step side pickups on the other hand....LOL

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
some top triple clamps are really horrible with or without clubmans or other bars

they can be cured with a bit of want to

not shown with the rearward part of the tree clad on both axis but you get the idea

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
hacka- seriously nice work as usual. was that an alloy triple you massaged?. if so did you have to preheat? BTW those might be the last pair of mesh side protector safety glasses in captivity. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
thanks, those are cast steel and I preheat cast steel, at least knock of the chill

for sure it it were cast or billet aluminum

preheating would certainly be in order

I kept the inter pass temps way low and am quite pleased there was no measurable distortion or warp-age

it just bolted right back on as easy as it came off

sometimes I get lucky

good eye on the glasses, I love to wear them when I ride just to skull copulate people

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heh :D The boulevard gets a windshield not for looks, but for comfort. (I think it looks better without it too) It's my daily driver, and I got a pretty good commute (about 50 miles) at highway speeds - no windshield can make that a lot longer than it really is. Nice work on those clip ons btw! (oh and the glasses are prescription, thank god for transition lenses [8D] )

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 2smokeTyler

i know i wasn't asked, but i'll air my opinion anyway on the clubmans vs. clipons...i have clubmans on my bike. why? because they look more period on the ride and i didnt want an empty top triple clamp. also, at the time i couldnt find any cheap clip ons and i had already painted my trees. that is where i stand. i just dont find them hideous like some people on here do. now step side pickups on the other hand....LOL
really the clip-ons vs clubmans thing has kind of degenerated into a running joke. There were a lot of people signing up here a long time ago where they thought you made a cafe bike by just throwing a set of CHEAP $15 clubmans on the bike and that is about it. A lot of those bikes were cb750s which are probably about the worst bikes you can put a set of clubman bars on since they tend to bash the tank and cause you to have your brake handle at a really weird wrist angle.

In my opinion (since you didn't ask for it) bikes should be built in terms of systems where you consider the bars and footpegs all at once and not just throw a set on the bike and go. It is also probably not the first place you start on a bike since there are usually 1,000,001 other things you can do first.

anyway...my overall point is $15 clubmans are usually flypaper to pousers and a person should really think about the bike and what value there is in parts and why some clubmans (like the adjustable ones) cost $40 rather than the $15 cheapies. The "generic" approach to bike building is rarely a good approach.

·
Registered
699 Posts
ok...running joke...thanks for clueing me in geet!! i know all about generic bike building, we've all seen it 1000 times! it especially hurts when the owner actually started with a cool bike...then ruined it. i hate to see that. on that windshield thing though, that 50 mile commute, thats what i was doing on my cousin's windshieldless electroglide last summer (he was hurt and let me put miles on her) and you just have to do the aero tuck at anything over 65mph (which looks cool..LOL) or just count it as your ab work out for the day!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good luck when you go to find a bike.
Bikes aren't that hard to find really and there are many different methods you can use such as talking to people at swap meets,word of mouth from friends/family etc.,local news paper ads,Craigs List(one of my favorites),ebay(usually only to buy/sell parts not whole bikes),driving around looking in peoples back yards/barn yards lots(you may not want to hang out and STARE to long with this method...people don't usually like that!).

The point is there are still a lot of old unwanted vintage bikes out there for relatively good prices but you need to be patient and find a good deal. Costs can add up very quickly even if you get the bike for FREE. I have a $50.00 Hodaka 100 that will be a $1,800.00 Hodaka Track Day/Parade/Display bike when I'm done.

I have a line on about 10-12 bikes that I can't look at right now because I have too many I have to part out at this time and don't have the room. Plus,I use the cash for parts to buy other bikes so I need to SELL more before I can BUY more as to not upset my better half!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts