Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Y'all know the difference in us NC rednecks and the rest of ya I'm sure - as opposed to the ONE you guys have- we're the ones with TWO refrigerators on OUR front porch. Well, at least until another hurricane with a name beginning with an "F" comes along and blows them away. I'm a 60 year old handyman service tech and small buisiness owner who has had to move due to hurricane Florence most recently and was also out of work for 4 months with a foot injury that refused to heal due to diabetic complications, so, needless to say I don't ride that much anymore. I started hanging out as a kid at a Kawasaki dealership back in the 70's till the manager realized he couldn't run me off so he hired me. I rode a little local flat track and motocross back then also, although, I'll admit, I wasn't very good - I just loved the boots, kidney belts and atmosphere in the back of vans with Hodaka Super-Rat 2 cycle smoke and whatever that other cloud of smoke hanging around us was...Thank God that part of those days is long gone. I did mechanic work from then on but not exclusively on motorcycles. I worked in Ford, Chevy and Nissan dealerships and operated my own garage for a while. I've also owned a few bikes in my time from Kawasakis to Harleys, Hondas a Suzuki and 1 contraction I built myself with plumbing supply equipment and a leaf blower :cool: JK Pete82 - So, long story short, since I had to move to another part of town once again due to hurricane Florence and unable to get out and work publically as much, and seeing as my new home has a 20'x30' shop I've decided to resort to my old passion and work on a few bikes to ride, restore, mod and sell. Thanks for allowing me to share.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Don’t get all uppity cuz you got TWO fridges on th’ porch. Y’all may have yer hurry-canes with their special names, an’ such. But over here on the other side o’ the hill in Tennessee, all we gots is tore-nados and turn-ados. Know what the difference is? A ”tore-nado” is one what come thru town an’ tore ever thing up. A “turn-ado” is one that comes thru an’ turns all the trailers upside down!

Welcome, feller!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I lived in Cleveland, Tennessee for a few years a while back- I dated that girl next door- the one with 3 fridges on the porch. I think her name was Tornado also.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Did you ever have the pleasure of working on one of those Hodaka ball receiver or whatever you want to call it transmissions? Honda developed a transmission for their MotoGP bike that used a sort of similar principal. Actually kind of a neat concept. A Hodaka gearbox would be nice to have on the mill so changing speeds wouldn't involve moving v-belts and skinning knuckles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you ever have the pleasure of working on one of those Hodaka ball receiver or whatever you want to call it transmissions? Honda developed a transmission for their MotoGP bike that used a sort of similar principal. Actually kind of a neat concept. A Hodaka gearbox would be nice to have on the mill so changing speeds wouldn't involve moving v-belts and skinning knuckles.
Only worked on the shift cover, bushings, and replaced the ball receiver springs- All which - to your point- were easily accessed and repaired externally. I still love the memories of those bikes- the Combat Wombat- The B- RAT- and the Super Rat of course - there were some others I only heard about and never saw- Maybe I will one day. I think the Ace 100 was the predecessor of the Super Rat and must have been a beauty to watch.

Hodaka100MagicRR.jpg

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I worked at a shop that sold Hodaka. Actually calling it a shop is a bit of a stretch. Parts of it were dirt floor and i don't recall any plumbing. Never spent any time working on them though and only worked there long enough to have something on my resume relating to motorcycles. For a shop in the middle of nowhere it did have a few interesting bikes in the showroom, Black Shadow, early Velocette 500 single, Indian 101, it was a bit of a museum. One of my first jobs was doing the top end on a Norton OHC flat tracker. There was another guy who did most of the Hodaka stuff. One of my few memories of him was when he had to leave work early to head to the doctors office after announcing he had the clap for the 22nd time. Not sure how he still had the brain capacity to do one of those gearboxes.

You will need to keep a close eye on your apprentice there. I have one of those who just turned 2. The hammer is his favourite tool... a while back I looked down the clutch cable access hole and found he had stuffed some of his plastic nuts and bolts down there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least the aptitude is in the right place! - This 1 is my second grandchild- Her brother is like 9 and only knows video games. I'm CompTIA A+ certified but rarely get any computer work these days- everyone on the phone and all. Maybe he's learning stuff from that gaming niche I'll never understand- Kids Do. I was certtified with GM back in *95 when all diagnostics went GM and OBD-2 but that's a whole other world now as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool irk- My Ma-n-Dem live in Indian Springs Georgia. I have lots of relatives there-believe me, there's SO MUCH MORE going on in Georgia than in Pembroke North Carolina - Pembroke and Lumberton, Red Springs Maxton- that area can be rough too- what with all the hostile natives and all- I can say that cause I are one- :mad: Well, only on Mondays.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Cool irk- My Ma-n-Dem live in Indian Springs Georgia. I have lots of relatives there-believe me, there's SO MUCH MORE going on in Georgia than in Pembroke North Carolina - Pembroke and Lumberton, Red Springs Maxton- that area can be rough too- what with all the hostile natives and all- I can say that cause I are one- :mad: Well, only on Mondays.
Ha. A guy I coach football and baseball with is Lumbee from that area- he and his wife- a Hunt and Locklear. I can't imagine you've ever met a Lumbee named Locklear. LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don’t get all uppity cuz you got TWO fridges on th’ porch. Y’all may have yer hurry-canes with their special names, an’ such. But over here on the other side o’ the hill in Tennessee, all we gots is tore-nados and turn-ados. Know what the difference is? A ”tore-nado” is one what come thru town an’ tore ever thing up. A “turn-ado” is one that comes thru an’ turns all the trailers upside down!

Welcome, feller!!!
I didn't know "Youinzes" were allowed to say Y'all-hehe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha. A guy I coach football and baseball with is Lumbee from that area- he and his wife- a Hunt and Locklear. I can't imagine you've ever met a Lumbee named Locklear. LOL
Heh- yeah I used to hang red iron with a whole family of the Locklear tribe- them and their cousin Tony Blue -

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I lived in Cleveland, Tennessee for a few years a while back- I dated that girl next door- the one with 3 fridges on the porch. I think her name was Tornado also.
We call that girl "sis".....

I didn't know "Youinzes" were allowed to say Y'all-hehe
I think yer mistakin'. We ain't in Pittsburg. ;)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I always thought that rednecks came from the north west, hicks from the mid-west and Hillbillys from the south? Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I always thought that rednecks came from the north west, hicks from the mid-west and Hillbillys from the south? Welcome to the forum

Actually all these things have really interesting origins:

Hick is actually an English nickname for Richard (go figure) , but Hick's in the US were originally the followers and fans of "old Hickory" andrew jackson - who appealed to rural, improverished, and remote mountain people politically.

Hill-Billies, etc... are Ozark and Appalachia mountain region (mostly Tennessee and West VA). Nobody really knows where the "billy" part of it comes from but some trace it to the Irish and Scottish that settled that area.

Rednecks originated in the South, specifically southern white poor farmers whose necks were permanently sunburned from working the cotton fields with their heads down. It became very politically charged in the south around 1900 to the point that people proudly called them selves rednecks and wore red handkerchiefs around their neck in solidarity.

At the end of the day though, they are all just another pejorative way for people to shit on other people less fortunate than themselves so they feel better about their station in life.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Ah what the hell do I know, I'm just some prick from Idaho lol

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
:I always thought that rednecks came from the outskirts, hicks from the woods and Hillbillys from the hills :confused: Welcome to the carnage :cool:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well there ya go, this is the education page. I thought 'cause you were in Idaho you might know sumpin' 'bout taters.
Well shoot, I mean I know about a hundred different ways to cook them there french fried puh-taters mmmhmmm (Billy Bob Thorton impression circa Sling Blade is implied).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts