Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flicking through a british classic bike magazine and couldn't help notice that Norton have announced it's going to remake the Manx. Apparently it's being called the 30m, as in its original name.

Same tooling, better materials AND they want to enter it in the TT. Allegedly.
The price? A cool 30 000 pounds. or 49 000 USD.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I wonder how long Norton will last. From what I read they won't have any dealerships at all and sell straight from the factory in the UK. Not to mention their newer bike that just has a twin 900 I think is going for 30k. I can still get a t shirt though. Cool bikes and I hope they do well but I won't be seeing one in my garage unless I win the lottery.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I wonder how long Norton will last. From what I read they won't have any dealerships at all and sell straight from the factory in the UK. Not to mention their newer bike that just has a twin 900 I think is going for 30k. I can still get a t shirt though. Cool bikes and I hope they do well but I won't be seeing one in my garage unless I win the lottery.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently they have alot of backing, but thats what they've said for the last 20 years every time they try to start up again. Not to mention the new commando's tooling and design was all done by the american consortium who owned them previously. We'll see I guess.

The one (besides the manx) thats got me interested is that new bike company mac in the uk.

The buell blast motor they're putting in it (which looks quite nice if do say so myself) has just been discontinued. So now they're most likely to put in a yamaha xt660 aircooled donk. Which is ugly. Hope they don't go belly up.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently they have alot of backing, but thats what they've said for the last 20 years every time they try to start up again. Not to mention the new commando's tooling and design was all done by the american consortium who owned them previously. We'll see I guess.

The one (besides the manx) thats got me interested is that new bike company mac in the uk.

The buell blast motor they're putting in it (which looks quite nice if do say so myself) has just been discontinued. So now they're most likely to put in a yamaha xt660 aircooled donk. Which is ugly. Hope they don't go belly up.

·
Registered
699 Posts
the buell blast motor is a DOG! a fully built and hopped up motor will get you about 44hp. reliability is severly sacrificed at that point. Harley tried to take the Buell Blast dirt tracking for a year...I feel bad that Rich King had to ride that thing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
the buell blast motor is a DOG! a fully built and hopped up motor will get you about 44hp. reliability is severly sacrificed at that point. Harley tried to take the Buell Blast dirt tracking for a year...I feel bad that Rich King had to ride that thing.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah too bad. It's a nice looking motor. This yamaha lump put out around 50hp in standard form, but is ooooogly. I can't think of a water cooled engine that looks nice. It changes the look of the thing....wait...i'll find a photo...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah too bad. It's a nice looking motor. This yamaha lump put out around 50hp in standard form, but is ooooogly. I can't think of a water cooled engine that looks nice. It changes the look of the thing....wait...i'll find a photo...

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
%100 agree with rosko. how about the molnar, and the other "modern" manx's? sounds like someone is a little bitter that satellites are building the better bike. they sound fantstic though. and faaaast!!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
%100 agree with rosko. how about the molnar, and the other "modern" manx's? sounds like someone is a little bitter that satellites are building the better bike. they sound fantstic though. and faaaast!!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Mac won't be using they were going to, but the blast is being discontinued. They are trying to figure out what engine to use now. I vote CRF450 :p

The manx looks nice. Real nice.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Mac won't be using they were going to, but the blast is being discontinued. They are trying to figure out what engine to use now. I vote CRF450 :p

The manx looks nice. Real nice.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing I like about mac is that they are so basic. Can't say i'd buy one though. It would be interesting to see what people do with them. The first photo i put up, the one with a blast engine, is that a cb750 tank or what? newho, there are so many bloody SR400/500's out there seeing as they only JUST stopped making the same model for 30 years, why don't they use that single thumper. I digest...

I just want some rich fella to make a 'new' triton. Don't think you could get me to tear a manx apart though.

Hmmm where to now? Lets get honda to make some ridiculous 6 cylinder 250/ 5 cylinder 125's again....

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only thing I like about mac is that they are so basic. Can't say i'd buy one though. It would be interesting to see what people do with them. The first photo i put up, the one with a blast engine, is that a cb750 tank or what? newho, there are so many bloody SR400/500's out there seeing as they only JUST stopped making the same model for 30 years, why don't they use that single thumper. I digest...

I just want some rich fella to make a 'new' triton. Don't think you could get me to tear a manx apart though.

Hmmm where to now? Lets get honda to make some ridiculous 6 cylinder 250/ 5 cylinder 125's again....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I saw those last couple of bikes on the kneeslider and just scrolled right past it cause they would kinda fugly concept bikes. The 961 Commando looks nice but still a little pricey at 30k from what I read.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts