Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I saw those last couple of bikes on the kneeslider and just scrolled right past it cause they would kinda fugly concept bikes. The 961 Commando looks nice but still a little pricey at 30k from what I read.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The Manx Norton was, is and always will be the perfect motorcycle. I don't care if Rossi's Yamaha make a gazillion HP and goes well over 200 mph. Its a like being stood in front of a Spitfire and an F14 and told to pick one. The F14 can do everything better than an Spitfire but your heart knows what one you're going to choose.

This is as close as I got to heaven.

By weslake at 2008-02-11

With Molnar, Summerfield and others making engines and complete machines why would Norton try to remake the Manx in such small market? If you want to go all out you can a Manx frame in Titanium from Bakker Frambou in Holland. Only 15,000 euros but that includes a magnesium swing arm.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The Manx Norton was, is and always will be the perfect motorcycle. I don't care if Rossi's Yamaha make a gazillion HP and goes well over 200 mph. Its a like being stood in front of a Spitfire and an F14 and told to pick one. The F14 can do everything better than an Spitfire but your heart knows what one you're going to choose.

This is as close as I got to heaven.

By weslake at 2008-02-11

With Molnar, Summerfield and others making engines and complete machines why would Norton try to remake the Manx in such small market? If you want to go all out you can a Manx frame in Titanium from Bakker Frambou in Holland. Only 15,000 euros but that includes a magnesium swing arm.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Yes it was mine. The Dublin bit is a longer story. I spent a good few years over there racing etc. and the Norton was part of it. The Manx came from England and is still over there with a friend.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Yes it was mine. The Dublin bit is a longer story. I spent a good few years over there racing etc. and the Norton was part of it. The Manx came from England and is still over there with a friend.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Lucky dog indeed. The enigne is alive and well in Dublin. I broke it at at a time when parts weren't available and the parts that were available I couldn't afford. A friend now has the engine and the rest is here in California and doing well.

By weslake at 2009-09-24

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Lucky dog indeed. The enigne is alive and well in Dublin. I broke it at at a time when parts weren't available and the parts that were available I couldn't afford. A friend now has the engine and the rest is here in California and doing well.

By weslake at 2009-09-24

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
49k? Thats hopeless to try and sell.... they MIGHT could sell them for 20k.

Wasn't someone talking of building a new Vincent? Not the one with the Honda engine but one with a different top end on a harley shortblock?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts

Wasn't someone talking of building a new Vincent? Not the one with the Honda engine but one with a different top end on a harley shortblock?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'd rather take a new David Hailwood built Egli-Vincent or maybe the phase 1 prototype Vincent but the rest of the stuff in the Vincent line up is kinda blah.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'd rather take a new David Hailwood built Egli-Vincent or maybe the phase 1 prototype Vincent but the rest of the stuff in the Vincent line up is kinda blah.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
quote:Originally posted by raven

Big picture - $49k isn't all that much money to a lot of people. There are vintage Ducatis running around right now that have had that much and more spent on them. I think the people doing this are aware of what the market will support, and a limited production run of new Manx's would sell out, at the price given price.

Not only will they sell, but a lot of them won't even get ridden, they'll end up on display in offices, garages, living rooms, etc...

They could MAYBE sell them at $20k? Your view of the vintage/collector bike market is a lot different than mine. Look at what Ducati Supemonos are selling for, and they haven't got near the history of this bike. Yeah, I know it's a recreation or continuation or whatever you want to call it. So what? It's a brand new Manx.

Damn, for $20k I'd even consider one if they were street legal. (Which I doubt it will be, with noise and emissions reqs being what they are these days)

*The above assumes it will be eligible for vintage racing...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

Big picture - $49k isn't all that much money to a lot of people. There are vintage Ducatis running around right now that have had that much and more spent on them. I think the people doing this are aware of what the market will support, and a limited production run of new Manx's would sell out, at the price given price.

Not only will they sell, but a lot of them won't even get ridden, they'll end up on display in offices, garages, living rooms, etc...

They could MAYBE sell them at $20k? Your view of the vintage/collector bike market is a lot different than mine. Look at what Ducati Supemonos are selling for, and they haven't got near the history of this bike. Yeah, I know it's a recreation or continuation or whatever you want to call it. So what? It's a brand new Manx.

Damn, for $20k I'd even consider one if they were street legal. (Which I doubt it will be, with noise and emissions reqs being what they are these days)

*The above assumes it will be eligible for vintage racing...

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

49k? Thats hopeless to try and sell.... they MIGHT could sell them for 20k
Summerfield Bros. have been selling their replica Manx for 30,000 Stg. for years. A Molnar Manx engine varies from 9-12,000 Stg. Bakker Frambou in Holland makes TITANIUM Manx frames that sell for 15,000 euros. I saw 6 speed mag cased Manx boxes going for 5,000 Stg. I can't remember what the place in New Zealand sells their replcas for but the figure is equally hideous. I think its just us poverty stricken peons that find the prices outrageous. But there are those out there prepared to pay.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

49k? Thats hopeless to try and sell.... they MIGHT could sell them for 20k
Summerfield Bros. have been selling their replica Manx for 30,000 Stg. for years. A Molnar Manx engine varies from 9-12,000 Stg. Bakker Frambou in Holland makes TITANIUM Manx frames that sell for 15,000 euros. I saw 6 speed mag cased Manx boxes going for 5,000 Stg. I can't remember what the place in New Zealand sells their replcas for but the figure is equally hideous. I think its just us poverty stricken peons that find the prices outrageous. But there are those out there prepared to pay.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts