Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1967 PONTIAC RACE CAR/ STREET CAR

00y0y_55gHJNdjNz8_600x450.jpg

Spotted this on CL, and I have to ask, Where did all these cars go? You used to see them way more often at car shows, cruise nights, well into the early 2000s. I mean they are still awful and tacky and age hasn't made them better, but starting to miss not seeing this level of gaudy in the sea of silver boxes on the highway.

Have you seen any wild street freaks lately?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Back in the day I rememebr seeing one at a show around the Minneapolis area. I remember wondering how many hours must have gone into making such an ugly car. The workmanship was outstanding but the choices made were... not my style?

Anywhos, about three years later I saw it again, on a flatbed truck, with another car stacked on top of it. Show car to trash heap in three short years. Even though I thought the car was hideous I still felt bad for whoever built it.

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back in the day I rememebr seeing one at a show around the Minneapolis area. I remember wondering how many hours must have gone into making such an ugly car. The workmanship was outstanding but the choices made were... not my style?

Anywhos, about three years later I saw it again, on a flatbed truck, with another car stacked on top of it. Show car to trash heap in three short years. Even though I thought the car was hideous I still felt bad for whoever built it.
yeah you know that is not a story that ends happy.

The thing I used to remember as a kid though was that they weren't just show cars, people used to drive these things too and often hard and as their daily.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
image.jpg

image.jpg

Just my run of the mill elco. I use this when I transport my bikes to and fro wherever. I never liked jacked up fancy so I just kept the ss look. Speaking of 80s.......the other pic is from my Zemco Compass circa 1984........I had to have a little tacky on it

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I don't care what you think of classic street machines, they beat the [email protected] out of-

P.S. photo in original post is a late 60s muscle car.
I cut my teeth on composites and design composites on these type of rides......purely for family and friends. We were doing raised relief speaker and entertainment boxes before you ever saw it on television. Although it is not my personal style......the amount of creative thought and design is impressive........in fact entertaining. Although nice to look at they are way to gaudy and flamboyant for me and I don't believe they will ever pass the lure of American muscle cars and that of the big finned cars of the late 50s.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Flip-up doors, speakers that can blast the windows out of a car, and even trick lightweight bodywork do NOTHING for me. Meat-eating engines and high performance chassis/suspension setups that can deliver the power to the ground and not lose the racing line are where it's at.

...don't even get me started on 20"+ wheels...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Flip-up doors, speakers that can blast the windows out of a car, and even trick lightweight bodywork do NOTHING for me. Meat-eating engines and high performance chassis/suspension setups that can deliver the power to the ground and not lose the racing line are where it's at.

...don't even get me started on 20"+ wheels...

image.jpg

Okay you tempted me..........I'll get you started.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts