Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....and coming to philly:

http://www.redbullsoapboxusa.com/

Anybody want to do a caferacer.net entry? Since these are more like parade floats than real race cars maybe we can do a something really cool (like a giant rolling portrait of hailwood or a car that you steer by leaning the bike in the middle, or a side car rig)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how about a pushbike with sidecar and a one of those "wheelie bars" in the back with skate wheels so that you can run the entire course wheelie-ing the rig and doing general stunting. Paint it red white and blue to look like evil's bikes and there you go.....

as much as I would love to be the guy riding this thing down the hill, at my weight and size I can give on hell of a push off the starting line.

remember...showmanship is part of the deal. Deadline to sign up is June 13th....anybody who is in the Northeast and wants to commit, let's get a signup going.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Damn right thats cool, what i wouldn't do for a big hill as a kid. Central Illinois for ya. Few years ago there was an event called the extreme gravity race or something extreme like that. design houses from major auto manufacturers designed "soapbox racers". Lotus, Jaguar, Porsche, Pinnfarina, Nissan, cool stuff. Hey try to find some pictures of Volvo's entry if you can. heh heh

·
Registered
699 Posts
If i only lived in philly!!! you know though, i was wanting to take a vacation this summer, and i believe i have the skills and size to be quite the pilot. 6'0" 165lbs with 10 years of racing experience? i even have 2 sets of leathers and a few helmets!!!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
In terms of goofy fun- I think this is a no brainer. A Cycle Icons, L.L.C. sponsorship opportunity perhaps? I do need to market to the Philly metro area after all. This way we can write off the beer. Boy, I hope the I.R.S. isn't listening.

Cheers- Leo

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah matt (sprinter666) was building a vintage 1960's style digger gravity racer. Haven't spoken to him in a while.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Howdy! I've drivin' all kind of contraptions, raced many a race, and won most of them.

If you need a driver for this soapbox deal, I'll be your huckleberry!

I'm currently couch surfin' with Tex this summer. I know this Manyunk Course as I've trained with the US Postal team in preparations for the US Cycling Championships.

Give me a shout if ya'll want to do this.

Buck

P.S. - Here is a photo of me training for one of my many bicycle races.....

·
Registered
699 Posts
damn buck...you got me beat on style. i thought i might be a shoe-in for this driver's spot...but now i see your pic and i think all is shot to hell. how about a side car??

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Yo Buck
What's your strategy for making that 90 degree corner at the base of the Wall?
There's going to be a lot of tears at the end of that one

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by bfd

Yo Buck
What's your strategy for making that 90 degree corner at the base of the Wall?
There's going to be a lot of tears at the end of that one
I think that is why the rules say that credit (but not the win) will be given to people who actually make the finish line.

The rules state 4 wheeled wehicles but don;t think we are locked into configuration since there is a catagory for creativity and style.

Let's brainstorm some more ideas....theatrics are a big part of it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
have you seen that starting ramp?? DANG!! it looks like the "drop in" ramp from the x-games! could we do a side car with 2 wheels instead of 1? that would make it a 4 wheeled vehicle and allow at least 2 (maybe 3 or 4) people to ride down. as for theatrics, i thought of something...you guys might think this is a little too much, but i thought it would be fitting. we are CAFE racers...and when i wear my cafe shirt, a lot of people ask what it means. so we could get on the starting ramp and be dressed up like well to-do's just having a spot of tea at a table. then we rip off the clothes to unveil our "Evel" suits and throw away our table to unviel our (hopefully) sidecar. at that point, it would be go time. in our tea cups of course...would be redbull!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Here in Portland we have the 'Adult Soap Box Derby", it's been around a while now. We go every year but have year to enter.

http://www.soapboxracer.com/

We're thinking a viking longboat with 4 live passengers and a few manikins all dressed as vikings......

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rules state one rider/driver but as far as I know blow up doll side car passengers don't count as "riders".

My brother is a stage fight coordinator here in the city. Since I live with him it would not hard to get him involved. riffing off that "cafe racer" thing how about a mods vs rockers fight. The "rockers" roll up in the sidecar rig... and the mods show up on razor scooters. During the "scuffle" the rig gets launched (the fight could even cover a costume change from rocker wear to evil suits)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have an idea - design a vehicle that can carry three or four people on it with multiple wheels. After the drop in, the vehicle breaks up into three or four cafe racers with one person on each two wheeler where a drag out race ensues to the bottom of the hill - leathers & helmets recommended...

·
Registered
699 Posts
bmartin and geet...both are awesome ideas..combine the two? i say ditch the evel suits because cafe and evel don't really go together. if we are repping caferacer.net, we need to be full on cafe. i love the break apart bike idea because that lets more of us participate!! i have a spare helmet and a spare set of leathers if you guys would let me be involved with this...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
before we get too carried away, here are the rules:

http://www.redbullsoapboxusa.com/Philadelphia-2008/rules.aspx

the break away idea is nice but it doesn't really conform to the rules (the moment we all break away it ends in disqualification) and they pretty much want just one person going down the hill.

I looked in the gallery and saw a number of three wheeled vehicles but the rules say 4 wheeled vehicle, so I think they are a little loose with that.

We could do a burt munro replica indian streamliner with outrigger wheels (that are suspended so you can still lean the bike). the ideas are endless.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Yeeeeee-Haaaaaawwwww!

I'll race a streamliner, sidecar, or teacup! Matter of fact I'll race anything you put on the track.

I'll have Tex read over the rules and start an outline of rules, deadlines, ideas, etc.

Bill, the last corner on the hill, I jam on the coaster brake and go into an old school powerslide....The fans love it!

Buck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts