1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Never reaised Suzy engines were so compact. Suffers from the same problem that unit Triumphs suffer when stuck in a Featherbed. The tank and seat are definitely double baggers! Never seen any combo so just plain butt ugly. The price is cheap enough to make it salvagable. I have to say that a decent seat and tank, put in a fake central oil tank, and four meggas and it could be cool.

·
Registered
888 Posts
seems like a quick build to me. with the surge of norton frankensteining ive seen in magazines over the past 5 years i expect to see cheaper and quicker build versions like this one more and more.

that isnt to say i dont like it. i'd ditch the ''norzuki'' lettering and find a seat that actually fit. i think a 70's duckbill glass seat would look cool.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Does look like a confused transgender on valentines day.

Hey, if you wanted a gs powered thingamabob for $18,000 you can get a bunch of guys in england to build you this instead if you want a quick suzi... road leagal too...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I remember a period when the motorcycle mags were still claiming that nothing handled better than a British Twin. They'd do a road test on a Japanese bike and say something to the effect of, " we'd love this bike if we could keep the reliability and power of this engine, but make it handle like a insert your favourite british twin here."
This was before I had a clue that I'd ever ride either a modern Japanese bike or an old British twin, so I was always a bit confused about what I should buy when my time came.
It wouldn't have been this bike though.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is a much later GS 750 engine than the old 8V dinos or the 16V that replaced it, and therefore more compact. The GS engine in my 77 bike is a monster compared to the ESD engine. The slab-sided gsxr 750 engines that came after (and in the bandit as well) were also tiny by comparison. I always thought it would be neat to see a modern inline 4 in an F bed but they really didn't get compact enough to fit until the 1980s.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I am going to vote NO on this one. It fails in all respects.

Ken

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Funny thing is that back in the mid 50s Norton had a four in a featherbed on the drawing board. The major parts of the engine were cast but from what I've read the lack of funds killed it. It wasn't a handsome motor but it was to be the replacement for the Manx. In that respect its death was not mourned. I find the combo perversely attractive. A large number of changes and it could be a neat machine. How it would handle with that lump of a motor would be another kettle of fish. But it would be a superb poser. I don't see anything wrong with a Suzy in a featherbed. It just has to be done right People have been sticking all sorts of engines in featherbeds for years. A Hillman Imp in a featherbed was said to be the inspiration for the Munch Mammoth.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

People have been sticking all sorts of engines in featherbeds for years.
People have been sticking their things in farm animals for years, too. Still doesn't make it right.
I'll bet that abortion doesn't handle as well as that motor would in the stock frame with $300 worth of suspension work. I just don't think that the Feathered frame is all that it was 50 years ago on an absolute or comparative scale. And before you start getting all uppity and butt hurt cause I blasphemed, yes I have ridden a F-bed and even raced a Triton for a season or two, so I do know what I am talking about. It was a decent bike, but didn't cause the gates of Heaven to open for me.

Ken

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Sorry the gates of heaven didn't open for you. Don't know what you did wrong. When the featherbed was originally built engines were knocking out round 50-60 HP. I don't think a featherbed could handle the weight and power of that Suzy. The featherbed was built in a different time. When the Japs started building big HP fours they didn't (or couldn't) build frames to match the weight and power. A friend had a 903 Kawasaki and you could watch the steering head flex when you put the power on while banked over. The alloy box/perimeter frames have tamed those tendencies. Norton stayed with the Manx for weight and a smaller frontal area. Moto Guzzi had their singles for the same reasons. MV and Gilera were making fours that weren't that much faster than the singles.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The two picture, are they the same bike or two different bikes? The reason I mention it is the top picture with skins has foams on the carbs and the bottom doesn't. I guess they could have taken them off though...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
...purists......

It's 80% of a neat conversion. The seat as noted repeatedly above is not good for this thing, a nicely proportioned bumstop would certainly help and a couple Decibels wouldn't hurt either..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts