Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1971 CB500 FOUR with 7K miles from the second owner. No rust and looks to be all original except for the handle bars. Has the original mufflers but on the left one it is starting to have a small hole where the header pipe meets the muffler. No dents on gas tank and has all original paint in decent condition (some small scratches from a belt or something). Also has the original side covers with emblems. There is no rust in the tank at all and no sediment. We drain the tank and put new gas in it (the old gas was old). The front fender is slightly bent to one side but could be bent back, same goes for the headlight. Very easy fix. Check on both sides and doesn't look like it was ever dropped. It starts right up and the tires look perfect. All the chrome looks good. No rips on the seat.

When we first started her up she would idle incorrectly because of the old gas. Once we drained and put new gas she ran great but then we kept seeing smoke coming out of the left muffler which didn't happen when it ran with the old gas. I believe it's because it was sitting and needs and oil change a tune up. So I am not sure if this is a good deal on a bike? He was asking $925 and he will settle for $825. What is your opinion?

PICS:

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I think that's a good price for a decent shaped, running cb500 four.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I think that's a good price for a decent shaped, running cb500 four.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone I know who has been working on vintage bikes and owns lots of them, mentioned to me that these bikes are not worth much and has seen these bikes go for $500-$700. This just didn't make sense to me.

Also, what do you think the smoke is? Is it because it has been sitting?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone I know who has been working on vintage bikes and owns lots of them, mentioned to me that these bikes are not worth much and has seen these bikes go for $500-$700. This just didn't make sense to me.

Also, what do you think the smoke is? Is it because it has been sitting?

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
when these bikes sit around for a while all the oil in the top end that doesn't go into the crank case leaks down into cylinder #1 and then she smokes on startup. it does this because the bike is parked on the sidestand and cyl#1 is the lowest cyl. Run it for a while and i betcha it will go away.

price depends on where you live. In NYC that bike would not last long for sale at $1000 let alone $875. In butt fuck egypt or whatever dark boonies exist elsewhere in america, where there are considerably less people interested in riding, the bike could be less and it would be possible to pick one up for $500 but something that clean at that price would be very hard to find.

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
when these bikes sit around for a while all the oil in the top end that doesn't go into the crank case leaks down into cylinder #1 and then she smokes on startup. it does this because the bike is parked on the sidestand and cyl#1 is the lowest cyl. Run it for a while and i betcha it will go away.

price depends on where you live. In NYC that bike would not last long for sale at $1000 let alone $875. In butt fuck egypt or whatever dark boonies exist elsewhere in america, where there are considerably less people interested in riding, the bike could be less and it would be possible to pick one up for $500 but something that clean at that price would be very hard to find.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I owned a 71 cb500 which was a sweet little bike and worth every bit of the 1,400 dollars I paid for it. Even at 875 it's a bargain and would make a nice restore project. I don't think it would take much to make the bike a great runner - so my vote is to go for it.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I owned a 71 cb500 which was a sweet little bike and worth every bit of the 1,400 dollars I paid for it. Even at 875 it's a bargain and would make a nice restore project. I don't think it would take much to make the bike a great runner - so my vote is to go for it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
dont listen to the guy who said it wasnt worth that much. geeto was right, where theres a market, price goes up.

you couldnt find a bike like that in austin for that much... unless it was just stolen. howeved, drive 3 miles outside of fort worth (aka bfe)and you'll find tons of shit.

trust us, buy it!

·
Registered
888 Posts
dont listen to the guy who said it wasnt worth that much. geeto was right, where theres a market, price goes up.

you couldnt find a bike like that in austin for that much... unless it was just stolen. howeved, drive 3 miles outside of fort worth (aka bfe)and you'll find tons of shit.

trust us, buy it!

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
tell me where it is so i can drive up there, buy it, and then come over to your house and do donuts on your lawn with it!

tex

1 - 20 of 41 Posts