Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I ride a XS650. They are known for their vibration at higher rpms. Anyone have any little tricks to keep my hands from going numb during highway trips?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
first is to relax your grip which should do the trick, then you can try bar-ends, then there's filling your bars up with BB's or sand or that BarSnake/tm thing or any sort of wieght/counterweight idea. then there are different bars to suit your ergos better. but first try the loose grip thing.

others should have better tricks 'cause numb hands/fingers usually just mean that i'm doing something wrong...as opposed to the bike...from my POV.
-tt

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it was kind of my fault. The hard one to keep from going numb is my right because I have to keep on the throttle so much to keep it at a decent speed on the highway

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
put a smaller sprocket on the rear wheel

they are geared stupidly low for highway use

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I should do that. They are geared stupidly low. It comes stock with a 17 and a 34. I think i am gonna go to a 32 out back and keep the 17.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
don't bother wasting your time just dropping two teeth

get real and at least drop 4

I'd drop 6

unless you are a real heavyweight...... like say over 300 pounds and your bike is obese

it will pull it just fine

run a taller rear tire too

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I get this also. Not really numb but just kind of a buzzing feeling. My grips are kinda old and hard so I'm thinking of trying new grips also.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See my hands go like dead numb its kind of disconcerting when you try and reach for the break and your fingers fumble around with the lever. But I am going to change the gearing so that should help.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
It could also be your wrist position. Carpal tunnel syndrome.

Try to adjust your clutch/brake levers so your wrists are straight when on the bike.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
the wieghts on the end work well i'm told. i wonder if the rubber bushings under your risers are old and hard and if a new set would do much?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I promise if you simply gear one up much taller

you won't have to wonder about putting bandaids on it and it will cruise 80 without any annoying buzzing

it's just a mere 42 inch vertical twin and only generates vibration in one axis

unlike an inline 4 which does in two

worst case you might have to putz with the ignition timing a tiny bit

the only reason I can think of for not gearing one taller is if one is actually being used for 1/8th or 1/4 mile racing

other than that...... I've yet to see, own, or ride a stock geared XS that would comfortably sustain anything approaching 3/4 throttle for miles on end or even comfortably sustain 80

and heck a tiny little cb350 or RD250 will do that and then some

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea thanks Hack I think I am going to switch to a 18 front and a 32 rear using 520 chain and sprockets. But yes Unga there is a large design flaw with the motor i want to get it rephased to 277 but its pretty pricey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts