Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Anyone have experience of titling a bike without papers?

I'm trying to buy a bike (Honda Dream) from some guy out of state and he says that all he can do is provide me is with a bill of sale. My concerns are:
1. The bike was not titled/registered under his name (he claims that a friend left him the bike), so will the bill of sale still be valid?

2. Can you still obtain a bike in Pennsylvania with just a bill of sale? - I've called the DMV twice, and received conflicting information on this one; however, both said to try to get him to apply for a title (but that's definitely not going to happen). He says that he does have the last registration card though.

I haven't been able to find any information about it on the DMV website, so any help would be appreciated. I'm starting to think that this isn't worth the effort...

-Mike

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Call the state police, and ask them what the procedure is.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If you have a friend in NY have him register the bike (NY goes by transferrable reggie, no title, all you need is a vin rubbing and 2 forms) and then sell it to you.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
what Geeto says is the best way. It's similarly simple with Michigan - find a buddy there, send them a rubbing of the vin, they fill out one form, they're done. they "sell" it back to you, finished.

A notarized bill of sale in PA is not worth jack shit. I have never found a notary (who wasn't crooked) who would touch them. It's not their fault, PennDOT SUCKS. Every part of PennDOT with the notable exception of the free motorcycle training course (for which they provide the motorcycle!) sucks.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Having titled a bike in MI, I can tell you it's a little more complicated than that. You have to deal with State Police, then Secretary of state.

... and before you deal with State Police, make sure the bike is not stolen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts