Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if you can get a title on a 1976 cb750 in florida if the seller doesnt have one?? im just wondering how i would go about titling a motorcycle if the seller doesnt have one. the reason i ask is because im going to look at this bike and i dont know if it has a title or not. im just trying to figure out if its even worth it to buy this thing if it doesnt have a title.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I've got the same problem with the bike I'm building right now. I'm in NY and because of the age of the bike (1969), I'm hoping it will not be a real problem. I'll be going for a title for my bike in April. I'll post here what I run into - Best guess is to call the DMV for help...

I heard there is a company out there for getting a lost title - but I believe working with the DMV will be the place you need to go to..

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
most states have their own laws regarding titling "abandoned" vehicles (aka vehicles without a title). Look up your DMV's website and it will have information on it. Usually it is a fee and sending a letter to the previous registered owner's last known address. If he doesn't get back to you (or them) then they will issue a title. That is generally how it works in most states.

as to whether it is worth it well that it up to you and the condition of the bike. HOw much is the seller asking for the bike. Non-titled machines I usually try to get for $300 or less regardless of condition.

you could also ally yourself with a sho and do a mechanics lein or find another titled frame and rebuild the bike on that.

Title services like ITS or Broadway title are also out there and usually charge around $150 for titles.

bmartin - 1969 is a pre 1973 vehicle - you go to the DMV with a vin rubbing and the proper forms (plus bill of sale). They will issue you a transferrable registration - there are not titles for pre 1973 vehicles in NY.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thanks Geeto67 - I may have a problem finding the bill of sale as I purchased this bike 20 years ago as a basket case...

It will make a good coffee table...

thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
here in california, the best way to get a title is to take it to the highway patrol and have them run the numbers...if you take it to the dmv and it's not totally street legal (DOT signals, etc) they may reject you immediately...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've used Broadway Title twice with no problem. At the time they charged by the year and size of the bike. I only paid $70 to get an Alabama title for a 125cc, but that was a few years ago.
They also send a package about what to do if you have a problem with your local Motor Vehicle people, included were copies of laws from both states. I never had a problem and I never had to use plan B.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
BTW midnight, your Bio should contain your location information. Fill out your bio.

B-martin - If the bike has been out of the NY system for 10 years then really, just fill out the papers anyway you can and they will push it through. There is a specific transfer form that you will need to fill out but you can download all of that from the DMV website.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thanks Geeto67,

my signature list my location -

None of my MC's have ever been registered in NY - One of my rides was last registered in NH and I should have no problem getting that registered in NY. The other MC was originally from Mass and has not be registered. I have the bill of sale from the former owner - who purchased the bike for god knows where. Still based on the responses - I don't think I'll have a problem getting them registered.

thanks for the help...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts