Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i'd post a few pics of a new bike i've been building for racing in the 2009 AHRMA 350 Sportsman class.

The bike started life as a rough 1969 Honda CB350K1...and was in pretty bad shape. Currently I am using another motor from a K2, that I built a few years ago. The oringinal motor has the larger cam and better head and will be rebuilt into another race motor once the bike is done. Bike was completely torn down and is being completely rebuilt as a competion machine. This bike will be painted in the red paint scheme like my CR350 Cafe Racer. So...we will have 2 identical looking machines....one will be a dedicated race bike.....the other a street legal Cafe Racer/Pit Bike. ;D

Some of the added details to the bike are:
*Rewelded and braced frame(swingarm is next)
*Bronze swingarm bushings
*CB550/4 front forks
*SL350 triple clamps(shaved and cleaned up)
*Taper steering stem bearings
*OCR Alloy light weight racing tank
*OCR Alloy rear inner fender/catch tank(13oz)
*OCR Alloy front fender
*Vented/Lightened wheel hubs
*Flanged Akront style rims
*Dunlop race tires
*Billet clipons
*Billet 1/4 turn throttle
*Mikuni 32mm carbs
*OCR custom alloy intakes
*Jemco 2 into 1 exhasut system
*CBR929 rearsets
*......more to be added to the list as the bike is finished.......check back!!!

...and some eye candy for you
The beginning

....and the finished CR350 Cafe Racer/Pit Bike(race bike will look identical)

I will post more pics as the bike is finished.....Take care!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hey tex.....this is your world. maybe instead of updating race schedules, you could actually moderate your topic.

thank you

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
theres something not right with those pipes........

:D[:p]

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
to be fair to tex, this gallery image format doesn't work so good with this forum software... I'd just take out the

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by krapfever

Greg,

How you been, man?

What's the theory behind the bracing at the top of the subframe? Any time I've seen 350 frames crack, it was at the bottom of the cradle or underneath the passenger peg mounts.

Is the shroud beneath the battery for housing the electrics?
Hey Eric......whats up brotha'....how have you been?

Reason for the bracing is to try and isolate the twisting of these stamped frames. The CB175 I was racing in the 200gp class....had alot of tire marks up between the shock mounts. The rear part of the bike was flexing quite a bit. Hopefully this will help eliminate some of it....at least thats the plan. Also plan on bracing the swingarm per the AHRMA rules...the stock swingarm twists alot.

The area below the battery is a combo aluminum rear inner fender and a catch can for my carb and engine breather lines. I still need to weld in vent tubes for the lines. The catch can is modeled after some of the early factory Honda RC race bike oil tanks. The bike will be a total-loss system till I get a PVL magneto setup from Todd Henning.

Hopefully will have some more pics this weekend of the braced swingarm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Greg, could you post a few more pictures and close ups of your rear brake set-up?

-David

edit* nevermind

Actually, how does the rear brakes work? Did you use a sl350 rear brake cable? I am curious as to how it works now since the part of the cable, attached to the brake lever, looks like it would move freely.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by savor

Actually, how does the rear brakes work? Did you use a sl350 rear brake cable? I am curious as to how it works now since the part of the cable, attached to the brake lever, looks like it would move freely.
Actually...the rear brake cable is from a Kawi H1 rear wheel I had laying around. I attached it to the CB350 rear hub...then found a cable holder I had around...drilled and bolted it to the rear brake stay. Now.....the attachment point up at the rearset hasnt been fabbed yet...so yes it moves freely. I have to weld in an aluminum bracket to the rearset to hold the front part of the cable. Its on the todo list.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought i'd post a few pics of some bracing I started doing on the swingarm.

First thing to do was remove the stock brake stay mount, as this was gonna be in the way of the new brace that is gonna be welded in. I'll relocate this mount once I have the brace finished. I used some 1/2" solid round rod from Lowes....max dia for bracing is 5/8"....but that just seemed way to big(and very heavy) for the CB350 swingarm. Please note...the swingarm is upside down in these pics.....brace will be on the bottom of the swingarm.

With the brake stay removed....I then figured out where to bend and cut the brace to weld into the rear swingarm plates.

...and this is where we got to this evening before calling it a night

Still left to do is weld in some bracing to tie the front of the swingarm(where the bronze bushing are) into the front of the brace. Then I will add some mid-span struts in between the brace and the swingarm to tie it all together as a unit.

...more to come:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made some more progress on the swingarm tonight. Everything is tacked in place and ready to be all welded up.

Here are a couple pics regarding the chain clearance issue...someone on another forum asked. Should be no problem.

....and the bracing to tie the front of the swingarm into the brace

....all ready for finishing and welding

....installed on the bike

...more later

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Looks great so far, some input (forgive me if this is all obvious):
In the interest of simplicity you could get longer bolts and put those spools right on the lower shock mount, ala JoeC's bike:

weld-wise I have a few ideas. One is that from the look of the welds you might want to turn up the amperage a smidge or three for good penetration. Also remove the swingarm bushings before welding and then ream them back to round. They will ovalize and with good penetration you should get a least a little sugar inside. (don't forget breather holes!) McMaster does sell the right size reamer for the bushings press fit, it took me a while to find it but it's in there (though pricey). Other than that pondering a nice symmetrical weld sequence will do you right.

That's all I've got. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Looks good so far. Why solid rod and not tubing? Just because they had it? Have you fit tested the wheel again? The welds inside the swingarm that you did to add beef at the ends of the stamped gusset might pull the ends of the swingarm in a bit. Love the front fender work. I need to get a welder for aluminum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah....I like the way JoeC did the spools on his bike and I had planned on doing the same. That was until I put on my 2 into 1 exhaust...the can is right next to the right side lower bolt.

JoeC....definately has a nice bike!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quote:Originally posted by buckandaquarter

Looks good so far. Why solid rod and not tubing? Just because they had it? Have you fit tested the wheel again? The welds inside the swingarm that you did to add beef at the ends of the stamped gusset might pull the ends of the swingarm in a bit. Love the front fender work. I need to get a welder for aluminum.
Yeah....swingarm fits with no problems...key is to never allow the metal to get so hot that it starts to warp(learned that thru welding aluminum).

Thanks for the ups on the front fender. First time I have made one of those...and it was really easier than I thought it was gonna be.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Most of the welding I have been doing lately is on stainless, and there is pretty much no way to keep it from warping while actually getting good penetration, so you have to brace it in place while it cools, which introduces stresses to the welds. If you don't have the heat high enough, though, you don't get good penetration, which means no real strength to the weld, which means no real reason to weld it in the first place, so it is a delicate balance. I do like how it is coming so far. Any tips for making a fender? I want to make a rear hugger (I know I'll have to brace it unless I use thick material for the sides.) What kind of welder do you have? Obviously some kind of MIG, but is it lined so it can feed from the body of the welder, or do you have a spoolmatic handheld feed so the wire doesn't have far to go?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought i'd post a few pics of some updates to the bike. Hopefully will have it running soon...then will tear it down and paint it.

Alloy rear number plate support

Alloy front number plate support

Number plates on

Holy sprocket cover

Couple pics outside.....sun was out...had to take advantage of it!!!:D

....more soon

1 - 20 of 89 Posts