Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Your wheels flex too, so some of that flexing you feel (and have seen) comes from the rims flexing out of alignment with the hubs. Aerodynamic drag has the most to do with top speed.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Your wheels flex too, so some of that flexing you feel (and have seen) comes from the rims flexing out of alignment with the hubs. Aerodynamic drag has the most to do with top speed.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
hey heads up on the throttle, it looked good to me so i ordered one from the ebay seller [n2u] its $16 but he charges $20 for shipping a 9oz package,
ok but the real problem was mine came without the mounting clamp and the cable bushing was missing too, i have e-maild the 6 times he responded once said he didn't know what a mounting clamp was??????

so sent him pictures no response guys an asshole

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
hey heads up on the throttle, it looked good to me so i ordered one from the ebay seller [n2u] its $16 but he charges $20 for shipping a 9oz package,
ok but the real problem was mine came without the mounting clamp and the cable bushing was missing too, i have e-maild the 6 times he responded once said he didn't know what a mounting clamp was??????

so sent him pictures no response guys an asshole

·
Registered
720 Posts
Contact ebay ASAP.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Contact ebay ASAP.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i filed a dispute through paypal, boy he responded to that a lot faster than he was answering my e-mails, says if i send him the part back he will refund money, at this point i don't trust him so i recommended he refund first than ill send it back, in the end the throttles nice and i can make a clamp for it, but hes such an ass, i think ill just be an equal prick about it,

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i filed a dispute through paypal, boy he responded to that a lot faster than he was answering my e-mails, says if i send him the part back he will refund money, at this point i don't trust him so i recommended he refund first than ill send it back, in the end the throttles nice and i can make a clamp for it, but hes such an ass, i think ill just be an equal prick about it,

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hi greg... I'm new to the forum and bike building in general, but I've been following your work and visiting the OCR page for tips and inspiration for the past couple years...Anyway I now live in Columbus and am wondering if you're into the idea of helping out a local newbie...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hi greg... I'm new to the forum and bike building in general, but I've been following your work and visiting the OCR page for tips and inspiration for the past couple years...Anyway I now live in Columbus and am wondering if you're into the idea of helping out a local newbie...

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
buck, I can't say i agree on the frame or swing arm bracing

the frame has a bit of correct bracing.... but my off the hip tension and compression analysis says somebody needed to stand on their head when coming up with that plan

the swing arm bracing is wrong

glad to see you get away from those clamp on foot peg mounts

this looks like a step in the right direction but I do not think you'll be happy with the current execution

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/Frame.mod/KawaMods.htm

you may want to consider buying his book and I can point you to several other very good ones especially if you are inclined in the area of higher mathematics, calculus and beyond

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
buck, I can't say i agree on the frame or swing arm bracing

the frame has a bit of correct bracing.... but my off the hip tension and compression analysis says somebody needed to stand on their head when coming up with that plan

glad to see you get away from those clamp on foot peg mounts

this looks like a step in the right direction but I do not think you'll be happy with the current execution

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/Frame.mod/KawaMods.htm

you may want to consider buying his book and I can point you to several other very good ones especially if you are inclined in the area of higher mathematics, calculus and beyond

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
http://www.hossack-design.co.uk/php/page.php?p=4

this guy did more than just weird front ends for BMW to copy royalty free

you may have to dig back and deep

http://books.google.com/books?id=LswdRd2Zm8YC&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=hossack+swingarm+motorcycle+braced&source=bl&ots=zYYEy_KJws&sig=kcno6fc97ZZsavz7zo8nWpZSjwk&hl=en&ei=4lS7SfzbA9-2twedvv33Cw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

a two for one above.....

http://www.tz350.net/aftermarket_frames.net.htm

some real fine designs amongst many swine on this page

check it all out and find an engineering school student fresh out of statics that will let you nibble on his/her brain

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
http://www.hossack-design.co.uk/php/page.php?p=4

this guy did more than just weird front ends for BMW to copy royalty free

you may have to dig back and deep

http://books.google.com/books?id=LswdRd2Zm8YC&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=hossack+swingarm+motorcycle+braced&source=bl&ots=zYYEy_KJws&sig=kcno6fc97ZZsavz7zo8nWpZSjwk&hl=en&ei=4lS7SfzbA9-2twedvv33Cw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

a two for one above.....

http://www.tz350.net/aftermarket_frames.net.htm

some real fine designs amongst many swine on this page

check it all out and find an engineering school student fresh out of statics that will let you nibble on his/her brain

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

Specifically....what do you see wrong with the frame and swingarm bracing Hack??? Just curious???:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

Specifically....what do you see wrong with the frame and swingarm bracing Hack??? Just curious???:)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well, Hack, you are leagues ahead of me on frame building and modification, so I like to hold back a bit when I don't know for sure. That said, here is what my gut says about it. I didn't say the swingarm bracing was perfect, but I do believe that it will help a bit. That bracing will help a little with the up and down bending (not really all that critical in this case) and a little with the torsional deflections, but could have been done with better triangulation using larger diameter tubing instead of solid rod. This would have increased the torsional stiffness without increasing the weight so much.
As for the frame bracing, I will say what I think and be happy to be corrected by the more experienced. I suppose it is a good way to learn. The tubes you have to brace the outboard swingarm mounts are not giving direct load paths to resist swingarm mount deflection. I realize that this part is difficult to engineer because it must be able to be bolted off the frame. The longintudinal tubes with the bends do not appear to offer much additional bracing to the frame. I don't know what to think about the U shaped tube in front of the wheel. I know that this frame is not exactly the best starting point for great handling, and I do admire you building instead of sitting here typing. The reason I follow threads like this it so learn, so Hack, correct me where I am wrong.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well, Hack, you are leagues ahead of me on frame building and modification, so I like to hold back a bit when I don't know for sure. That said, here is what my gut says about it. I didn't say the swingarm bracing was perfect, but I do believe that it will help a bit. That bracing will help a little with the up and down bending (not really all that critical in this case) and a little with the torsional deflections, but could have been done with better triangulation using larger diameter tubing instead of solid rod. This would have increased the torsional stiffness without increasing the weight so much.
As for the frame bracing, I will say what I think and be happy to be corrected by the more experienced. I suppose it is a good way to learn. The tubes you have to brace the outboard swingarm mounts are not giving direct load paths to resist swingarm mount deflection. I realize that this part is difficult to engineer because it must be able to be bolted off the frame. The longintudinal tubes with the bends do not appear to offer much additional bracing to the frame. I don't know what to think about the U shaped tube in front of the wheel. I know that this frame is not exactly the best starting point for great handling, and I do admire you building instead of sitting here typing. The reason I follow threads like this it so learn, so Hack, correct me where I am wrong.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I've pretty much laid it out for you and even pointed you to some very good links/pix....

now the RZ frame pix probably aren't the best to draw a direct parallel to but....

it will come to you

can you ask a less general question which would not require a mini-thesis for me to peck out?

I'd like to see better pix of the rear set mounts

anyhow, looks like you are coming along and I admire the energy

41 - 60 of 89 Posts