Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I've pretty much laid it out for you and even pointed you to some very good links/pix....

now the RZ frame pix probably aren't the best to draw a direct parallel to but....

it will come to you

can you ask a less general question which would not require a mini-thesis for me to peck out?

I'd like to see better pix of the rear set mounts

anyhow, looks like you are coming along and I admire the energy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with Mr. Asaw about the bracing on the swing arm bordering on the ineffective. Buckandaquarter hit it on the head about the triangulation, or lack of it. The Tony Foale article explains this quite well and plainly. The key is triangles, or better yet pyramids, but they may be a bit hard to package. Hope this helps, and it's not even a full mini-thesis. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with Mr. Asaw about the bracing on the swing arm bordering on the ineffective. Buckandaquarter hit it on the head about the triangulation, or lack of it. The Tony Foale article explains this quite well and plainly. The key is triangles, or better yet pyramids, but they may be a bit hard to package. Hope this helps, and it's not even a full mini-thesis. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think it looks awesome and at the very least you inspired the shit out of me to get going on my CB350, and I will be stealing alot of your ideas. Keep up the great work and let's see more pics!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think it looks awesome and at the very least you inspired the shit out of me to get going on my CB350, and I will be stealing alot of your ideas. Keep up the great work and let's see more pics!

·
Registered
720 Posts
alpina- you a mech as well?

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
quote:Originally posted by buckandaquarter

Mech, like mechanic? If so, I was (Volvos and Saabs of all things). Currently I am in aircraft structural maintainence. I mostly work with aluminum and composites now. My job is to basically keep old ass jets from falling out of the sky.

Ohiocaferacer, don't take my comments as a dig on your project, I like the direction you are going and look forward to updates.

·
Registered
27 Posts
quote:Originally posted by buckandaquarter

Mech, like mechanic? If so, I was (Volvos and Saabs of all things). Currently I am in aircraft structural maintainence. I mostly work with aluminum and composites now. My job is to basically keep old ass jets from falling out of the sky.

Ohiocaferacer, don't take my comments as a dig on your project, I like the direction you are going and look forward to updates.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I meant mecahnical engineer (which I am,) but I am also a mechanic (Mostly BMW, but also Audi/VW, Volvo, Benz.) Anyhow, as with alpina, nothing against the project. Need more updates.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I meant mecahnical engineer (which I am,) but I am also a mechanic (Mostly BMW, but also Audi/VW, Volvo, Benz.) Anyhow, as with alpina, nothing against the project. Need more updates.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I noticed the perverted collection of kraut koupes you have stashed in various locations.

I might trade you a really nice 280ce (109,000 miles and very straight/solid) for one of those lil gems you have hidden.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I noticed the perverted collection of kraut koupes you have stashed in various locations.

I might trade you a really nice 280ce (109,000 miles and very straight/solid) for one of those lil gems you have hidden.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
The Mech's here haven't read the rule book for AHRMA.
Your pretty limited with the bracing you can do on CB350 and stay within the rules.
The rear subframe flexes horribly on stock bikes when pushed, rear wheel spindle is the only thing tying ends of swing arm together so anything that will help to minimise arms moving independently is going to help. Problem is, your not allowed to put braces where they do most good. The bolt on rearset/passenger peg mounts also locate outer ends of swing arm pivot.
Personally, I would have hunted down some 5/8" tube and done bracing slightly differently. I also had some extra bolt in braces for friends 350 tying swing arm pivot to steering head

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Been awhile since i've posted any updates on the race bike.....but its pretty much done. Plan is to have it racing down at Barber next week. Have a few odds and ends to finish up....and this will be the first time its been out on a track.

Anyways...here are a few pics from today.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
greg,

good luck at barber. give 'em hell!

cheers,

tex

61 - 80 of 89 Posts