Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres the deal, i have been working on my 77 cb 750, its been going good, got her all torn apart, and been tinkering with a few odds and ends on the old girl, and i wanted a different seat/ tail section on her, so basicaly i have been fabbing my own and straight struggeling with it, every thing i do i can't get it to look right, like i know how i want it to look, but just can't get it there. and this is odd for me to be like this, and it is bugging the piss out of me. i duno lol i guess i just had to vent a lil lol.

i will get some pics up as soon as i get a new battery in my camera and show u guys what i mean

lol what the heck am i doing wrong that i am having a block like this?

the lil guy

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
not being specific with your problem.....smirks ...doesnt help.I have built plenty so Im assuming your problem is with the seat hump .
Ive found it saves lots of time to use the back of an old gas tank you can cut it down the center and push in or pull it apart as needed ,weld or rivet it together with a strip of similar gauge sheet metal and the hardest part of the seat is complete next for the base I start with two 16gauge strips i fold into angleiron like shape fit that to either side of the frame,from the end of the tank to the seat hump(you just made)sit on bike to be sure you can fit in all manners of driving shifting braking and being comfortable.then I fill in the rest with flat 16 gauge sheet for the seat bottom,this is the time to decide on seat mounting . Hinged or no hinged,how easy you want to remove it(how many bolts will retain it to the bike.
will you remove the bolts thru the top of the seat(after unsnapping seat pad.Or will you unbolt it from underneath is the room with airbox and battery all things that challenge your custom seat dicisions. here is a picture of how my seat started out from the back of a cb450 tank.made to fit a cb450.

Hope this helps you thru your slump.....glad to see your attempting it .

http://www.backallycustoms.com/cafe racer seats.html

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
you could if your making something out of this world use a urethan foam block from a boat supplu or on line at fibergast.shape it and glass over it.
you also could make a plywood buck egg crate style for the hump and make metal to fit and weld .Or bondo over the would for a buck for a glass seat.
there are a lot of glass seats SMILE al ready done here for you ..incase you wanted to move on from the seat.

http://caferacingparts.com/

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well what i i did so far is i couldn't find a big block of styrophome, so i got a sheet of pink insulation and cut it up and stuck it together and started carving, well after it is all carved out my plan is to cover it with something that fiberglass resign won't eat through, then fiberglass and bondo the piss out of it. i chose to do it this way is i have had a ton of expirence with fiberglass and bondo lol (i am an autobody technition) and i figgured i could get more of a modern look out of the old girl doing it that way, yes i plan on hinging it too, i already have that figgured out. i couldn't sleap at all last night lol thinking about this, and i think i have an idea how i want it so i will go from there i guess lol

wish me luck

the lil guy

·
Registered
194 Posts
hey, i'll post pics next week, but this is what i did: took a stock seat pan, cut it and used spare thin metal sheeting and cut and rivited etc to shape it and when it was how i wanted it, i could not have smoothed it out even with a gallon of mud so i covered it with some vinyl. it's turning out to be quite nice actually. i'm also using a stock fender that i chopped up.

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
its the compound curves in the rear hump that most cannot do.I have and english wheel and could have banged one out but it takes alot of time...hence why there are so many rusted inside tanks around for nill the you can find a shape that flows with your bike.alot have no welding experience or ability.But i just liked using the steel sinc emy tank idea was to DA it with 80 to bare metal add the stripes of color and clear coat it.I wanted the seat to match so metal was the only choice.
riveting is like welding(aircraft is riveted not welded) just have to be creative to hide them under the upholstery or be BOLD AND MAKE A STATEMENT by letting them show.

the glass seats come looking great but offer no instructions nor any mounts glassed in so you sit and stare at the nice seat.wondering should I use wood or metal how do I attach it so the design of the look is done but still you need to give it a solid plat for to liason between the frame and the seat.

You can find alot of glas'seats on ebay new from the owner that couldnt figure out how to mount it...they always, word the discription: I bought this seat and have decided to sell the bike so here is a great seat.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i just hope you have a different looking seat because ...you can buy them upholstered for what your spending on time and material this I promise.
but if your stubborn like me an dlike doing things your own way GOOD LUCK I love creating and building all my own stuff no matter what it costs I just like building stuff thats in my head.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol thanks dude, yeah that is pretty much it, like i have the general idea what i want it to look like and i am to fricken stubborn to say piss on it and buy an already made seat. and by the way i think i got her shaped to how i want it, so now i gotta find something to cover the styrofoam with so the fiberglass resign doesn't eat through it and i am pretty much good to go from there (lol knock on wood)

the lil guy

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
get clear urethane spray bomb and use it as a sealer...see if that stuf you used is urethane foam long as its not styrofoam your good.

styrofoam MELTS urethanfoam doesnt I built a sports car nose years ago and found out the hard way .MELTED in seconds

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol yeah i have dealt with that b4 too, lol i know it sounds dumb but what i went and did is covered the whole thing with aluminum foil, it worked just fine doing it that way grantid it isn't perfectly smooth but in all honesty it doesn't need to be at this stage, right now i have the whole thing glassed, but i am gonna go back over it with at least one more layer just to add a lil more streingth, lol i realy need to get a new battery for my camera so i can snap a few pics of it. just out of curiosity, does ne body know where a guy could find a pair of handle bars that are under $80 basicaly i am looking for a dirt bike style of bar

the lil guy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol yeah i have dealt with that b4 too, lol i know it sounds dumb but what i went and did is covered the whole thing with aluminum foil, it worked just fine doing it that way grantid it isn't perfectly smooth but in all honesty it doesn't need to be at this stage, right now i have the whole thing glassed, but i am gonna go back over it with at least one more layer just to add a lil more streingth, lol i realy need to get a new battery for my camera so i can snap a few pics of it. just out of curiosity, does ne body know where a guy could find a pair of handle bars that are under $80 basicaly i am looking for a dirt bike style of bar

the lil guy

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews from old bike barn.

I get bars cheap off ebay all the time. My best deal to date was a new in the plastic flanders black drag bar for less than $1.

With a cb750 I think the bar you will find most comfortable is a superbike bend. I put it on all my bikes that I am not running clipons or drag bars on. very little rise, even less pullback but all around a comfortable bar.

·
Registered
194 Posts
if you know exactly what style bar you want and don't mind a used one, you can get a used one cheap from Baltimore Cycle Salvage. the guy will ship it if you want.

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My reveiw is good I have been buying stuff from them for two years.no snags.But being old bike parts anything can happen .Cannt blame them for that this stuff is getting harder to get consistently.
bars are cheap most cycle shops have them cheap under fifty bucks so you should have no problem.ebay has plenty..... old bike barn does too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awsome!! thank you so much guys for all the help, lol the honda is slowly coming along and coming along alot better with your help, once again thanks alot and i realy apreciate the help, i actualy was looking at a renthal superbike bar as a matter of fact lol i like that style alot, mever used them before though, they feal pretty good on a cb750 u say?

the lil guy

·
Registered
278 Posts
Lilbull... you say something about a bare metal/clearcoat effect... how do you manage it? I've never found a clearcoat that I could apply directly to metal... it either peels off, the metal rusts underneath it or it turns funny colors in sunlight. POR15 was the closest I got, but it turned out to be UV sensitive.

A

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
xander it does do all that ,I just like that look.
the only way around it is to color it but that always looks to good.I was going for a hands-on look to the finish.
So I had no secret bullet for you .Im always looking my self .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts