Cafe Racer Forum banner

oil, again

3K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  fuzzybutt 
#1 ·
What do you all think about the lack of ZDDP? It's been recommended to me to use Diesel oil or racing oil in my Ford due to oil manufacturers not putting as much zddp in their oils.

#5 ·
Only choice for me would be Mobil 1 , ran it in my 400+hp GTO for years and years. When I pulled the engine apart after 130,000 miles you could still push the pistons right out of the top of the cylinder (no wear ridge).
Change it about every 6,000 - 8,000 miles assuming engine runs good and doesn't contaminate the oil with fuel, carbon etc. Sometimes I'd just change the filter and throw in a quart.
Run one of the thicker grades, not the 5-15 wt.
JohnnyB

#6 ·
Yes, but does mobil one (which I presume is a synthetic) also have to have ZDDP in it?

"A mix of zinc dialkyl(C3-C6)dithiophosphates come under CAS number [84605-29-8]. List of other examples with their CAS numbers is here.
The main use of ZDDP is in anti-wear additives to lubricants (eg. greases, motor oils). To date it is the dominant anti-wear agent, present in most machine and motor oils in amounts of about 1%. However for gasoline engine oil applications the amount of ZDDP has to be minimized; there is concern that zinc and phosphorus emissions could damage catalytic converters, ."

#7 ·
ok, I gotta ask.....what kind of ford do you have that has an ealy 80's 350 chevy hot rod mill in it? Do you have one of those converted mustangs?

I run mobil 1 in my GTO's original 400 ci motor. Works great. no clue about the zddp but man that shit is slick.

#9 ·
Evil, forget all the crap you read in the endless oil threads in forums. Mobil 1 will take better care of your auto engine than any other oil out there. It's the OEM oil for some of the most expensive, high performance cars in the world. And it works great in any and all old engines too. If I'm not mistaken ZDDP is a "high pressure" additive, added to lubricate places like valve lifters, gears, rocker arms. I think you'd be long dead before you noticed any difference in wear due to the change in ZDDP if you use Mobil 1.
JohnnyB

#10 ·
wow branson....I had no idea you were such a corporate fuck pony for mobil 1. I have to agree with everything you say about it, but quoting their commericals....damn!

slow, it didn't even occur to me to think street rod. please tell me that rig has black steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps and occasionally you run "white lightin'" through the hills of new england on the run from the revenuers....awsome

Edited by - geeto67 on Oct 10 2007 5:47:50 PM

#11 ·
Mobil 1 has been very very good to me. I was using it before 99.9% of people even knew it existed. Way back in the early 70's. 15 years before anyone ever saw an ad for it, and you had to go to a Mobil Oil store to buy it.
I've never seen anything it's ever been used in have an oil related, or even friction related failure.
Course this would apply to ANY fully synthetic oil I've used, not just Mobil 1, nothing special about the Mobil, just the fact it full synthetic.
I was sold years ago when my father did his own test. Took a drill press and indentical pieces of metal, set up this rig with a weight hanging from the drill press handle. Would see how long it took for the metal to smoke and gall from friction. Well...I know it did happen using conventional oil, and I know he got tired of waiting for the synthetic to break down and just turned if off after a long time.

Evil...love the matte-black paint on the truck :)

JohnnyB

#12 ·
I was just fucking with ya johnnyb. I can tell you one engine that switched to mobil one and then switched back to conventional oil because of failure....small airplane engines. The problem was that mobil 1 worked too well, airplane engines use the oil to carry away debris from the oil passages and with mobil 1 it was not carrying away any of the small shavings and they were building up in the passages. Then again, they break airplane motors in with castor oil....

#15 ·
Well, I'm usually the first to advocate the use of synthetic oil, but maybe not in this case. Depending on your cam and valvetrain the old school dinasaur oil might be better for you. If you have a fairly mild cam and valvespring pressure or a roller cam in that beast Go with Mobil 1. If you have a Mechanical or hydraulic cam with big lift and duration(and heavy springs) I would stick with racing or diesel oils. If you really want to stick with synthetics and this is the boat you are in, I would check out royal purple. They seem to have racing synthetics, but I honestly don't know a whole lot about their products.

#16 ·
Evil, trust me bro, I've run Mobil one in just about every kind of engine you can imagine. My GTO had a RHS Cam, and lifters, ram-air springs, Eldebrock intake, holley carb, mallory uni-lite, SpeedPro 10.75:1 pistons, Moroso Oil pump, Cloyes True roller, headers, Swirl polished ram-air IV valves, bronze guides, teflon seals...blah blah blah. Beat the crap out of it for years on Mobil 1, believe me there is nothing you can put in that engine that will protect it better than mobile 1 short of something NASA uses. I've used Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple and just about every brand of synthetic or conventional oil you can imagine.
This topic will go on for ever and ever, often repeating myths about synthetic oil that were dispelled 30 years ago but still bang around inside the heads of geezers.
Just put in the some 15-50wt Mobil 1 and forget about it. You will never ever have any failure or wear issue associated with the oil. For that matter put good conventional oil in it and change it when it needs it and the chances are about 99.9% you'll never have a problem with that either.

Don't be like I was for years and years.... I'd buy something and worry about things like this as if I'd still own the thing after putting 150,000 miles on it. In almost every case it was gone a few years and 10,000 miles later. Hell I've still got the desease... I'll buy something new and immediately start worrying if I'll still be able to get parts in 20 years.

Don't be me....live free...enjoy life, the engine will be fine.
JohnnyB

#17 ·
yup its got a cam and all that. Believe me, this is NOT something that I am staying awake at night worrying about. I don't drive it enough (200 miles a year?) to worry. I know it will be around a lot longer than me . . . I have come to realize that I am simply the caretaker for everything I own till the next person gets it.

Mobil one it is. I'll do a burnout as soon as I have someone around to take a photo. And yes, it does have steel wheels though they are dark maroon and dog dish caps. 16" rears and 15" fronts.

#19 ·
437k miles on my 94 saturn wagon. since the 1000 mile oil change it has never had anything but mobil 1 in it. it doesnt smoke, knock, or leak. i have never had to add oil in between the 5000 mile oil changes. i still get between 32 and 37 mpg on the highway at 80mph.

fat people are harder to kidnap

#20 ·
437k miles on my 94 saturn wagon. since the 1000 mile oil change it has never had anything but mobil 1 in it. it doesnt smoke, knock, or leak. i have never had to add oil in between the 5000 mile oil changes. i still get between 32 and 37 mpg on the highway at 80mph.

fat people are harder to kidnap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.