Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of plumbing my CB450 with an oil cooler and external head oiler. Dunno if the CB350 is similar, but if you've never taken one apart the oiling system is:

piston pump > spinner/filter > reservoir > main bearings (via restrictor) and head (via passage around one of the cylinder studs)

My plan is to tig a -4 male bung onto the sidecover where the oil reservoir is, and then tig a -4 male bung on each of the cam bearings on the right side of the head.

Oil would go:

pump > spinner > reservoir > oil cooler > head
AND
reservoir > restrictor > main bearings

I have seen other setups that go
pump > spinner > reservoir > oil cooler > reservoir/head

so ALL the oil goes through the cooler before hitting the rest of the engine.

I just have my doubts about the ability of the stock piston pump to flow oil through the cooler to the head reliably.

any ideas?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the "full flow" system like my second example:

And here's the "partial flow" system (notice it's a 350 motor):

Edited by - robertob on Feb 01 2008 2:11:39 PM

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I plan to do an oiling system similar to yours but I want to detour the oil to the top of the engine replacing the factory head oiling system.

But your oil system is almost just like the CB450...

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I opened up the oil metering holes at the cylinder bases and in various places in the head to increase oil supply to the head so I wouldn't need external lines. And the main feed to the cylinder head on a 175 is like first in line off the main supply gallery so it's sill pretty cool oil when it gets to the head.
I also opened up all the passage from the pump, to the filter, and out of the filter to the main gallery about 25%. The 175 really doesn't have oiling issues, my main purpose was cooling the head. Now the bike is almost too cold blooded :)
JohnnyB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts