Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ive got a 1980 honda cb750f ss and im wondering if anyone knows how the bike will function without the air cooler that the previous owner slapped on the front of the frame. I know it won't hurt performance to keep it on, but i'm going for a naked bike kind of build and the cooling system isn't really accommodating that style

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
If a bike from 1980 is still running well 35 years later, maybe it's a good idea to leave the oil cooler as it is, so it continues to run well?

Or does your idea of style allow for diminished performance and reliability?

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I didn't need an oil cooler on my bike and I went for a ride today. Of course it was 28F and it pretty much never gets above 70F here.
So that pretty well means that nobody needs an oil cooler. Form over function is what I always say. If it can't go good, it should look good. Think about it this way; with no oil cooler screwing up the pristine lines from the steering head to the lower frame cradle, framed by the lines of the front fork it will look minimalist and awesome. It will still look awesome with spun bearings and fried cams, who is to know, right. Of course, if we think about it that way, maybe those big bulky 37mm fork tubes could be replaced with some more stylish 33mm forks from a CX500. A plus to that would be the single smaller disc brake wouldn't detract from the minimalism of the whole front end like the big clunky dual disk set up of the CB. I see a trend here that would work out great as long as we don't want to ride, just look awesome.

Narwhals, narwhal swimming in the ocean ...

Reactions: thechief86

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Minimalist naked open triangle straight line bikes that keep the deal real with feel are always cool.

Mainly because the motor is only ever started to provide proof of life.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
It's not exactly what I would call a hideous lump :/ … and on the bright side, at least it doesn't have an ugly old radiator hanging out in front :)

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
For what it's worth your bike didn't come with an oil cooler as standard, so as long as the motor is still stock, it shouldn't do any harm by not having the cooler.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Shave the fins on the engine.
That will make things looks ten times better

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The crazy thing is, to do it right the previous owner had to fit a number of 900 parts to the engine. Wonder if it has had a 900f lump swapped in instead.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
If you loosen the drain plug just slightly , the slow drip takes moisture, contamination and excess oil heat away with it. The oil may well make the tire a little slippery, but that only adds to the spectacle of being a genuine café racer, on racer road! :)

Danger, is my business."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts