Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '74 CB450 and I took the pipes off and noticed a lot of oil inside the left cylinder. I also have another spare engine, and I looked inside there as well, and noticed a lot of oil in the left cylinder as well.

Is there some sort of EGR on these engines thats causing this, or could it just be that the rings on both left cylinders are bad?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
When the bike sits on the side stand the oil can pool in the left hand side of the head around the left exhaust valve guide where it can leak past the seal and into the exhaust port.

Ken

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't it burn off when the engine is running though? Thats what I don't understand, it's like it's constantly burning oil.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
It will burn off when it is running, but every time you park the bike on the side stand it will leak some more oil down the valve stem. If you park it on the center stand it might not pool enough oil to cover the end of the valve guide and you won't get any oil build up, or it may just leak down both the right and left equally. Does it smoke some on start up out of the left muffler, then stop after it warms up?

Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts