Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
Ok, I am such a newbie. The knocking seems to be coming from the clutch area along with number 3 not firing, causing the smoke. Number 3 is not getting any fuel I am assuming becuse of some sort of blockage in the number 3 carb. Now as you guys can tell I don't know much but I read somewhere that the knocking can come from the carbs not being in sync? So I am hoping that my problems are all carb. I took the carbs off today and I am taking them to "The Shop" in Milwaukee WI. They quoted me $150 to $200 dollars to rebuild them. Other places quoted me around $350+. What do you guys think of this price? I would do it myself if I didn't care when I would be able to ride the bike but being my only bike right now I don't want to take the chance. Live and Learn.
Easiest way to tell which cylinder is not running is to check the exhaust pipe temps after running for 10-15 seconds. If its not running on #3, that pipe will be cold/cool.

I consider it VERY easy to clean out carbs. You don't even need to full disconnect the throttle cables if that's a pain. You need to:
1) take the tank off
2) drain the fuel out of the carbs via the float drains (if your carbs have them. They'll be screws on the sides of the float bowls)
3) loosen the clamps that hold the carbs to the engine. All 4 of them.
4) pop the carbs off and flip them upside down
5) with a good phillips head screwdriver, remove all 4 screws from the bottom of one float bowl.
6) Clean out any schmuck. Carefully remove any brass bits with holes in them. Those are the jets. Clean them with carb cleaner. Do not poke them with anything to clean them out.
7) put the jets back where you found them. Don't over-do the tightening.
8) move to next carb.

For $150, are they just cleaning them or replacing the jets? Its about 2 hours of work, so $150 = $75/hr which is about what most shops charge per hour.

$350? That's way out of line. They're quoting that because they don't want to touch your bike.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
Ok, I am such a newbie. The knocking seems to be coming from the clutch area along with number 3 not firing, causing the smoke. Number 3 is not getting any fuel I am assuming becuse of some sort of blockage in the number 3 carb. Now as you guys can tell I don't know much but I read somewhere that the knocking can come from the carbs not being in sync? So I am hoping that my problems are all carb. I took the carbs off today and I am taking them to "The Shop" in Milwaukee WI. They quoted me $150 to $200 dollars to rebuild them. Other places quoted me around $350+. What do you guys think of this price? I would do it myself if I didn't care when I would be able to ride the bike but being my only bike right now I don't want to take the chance. Live and Learn.
Easiest way to tell which cylinder is not running is to check the exhaust pipe temps after running for 10-15 seconds. If its not running on #3, that pipe will be cold/cool.

I consider it VERY easy to clean out carbs. You don't even need to full disconnect the throttle cables if that's a pain. You need to:
1) take the tank off
2) drain the fuel out of the carbs via the float drains (if your carbs have them. They'll be screws on the sides of the float bowls)
3) loosen the clamps that hold the carbs to the engine. All 4 of them.
4) pop the carbs off and flip them upside down
5) with a good phillips head screwdriver, remove all 4 screws from the bottom of one float bowl.
6) Clean out any schmuck. Carefully remove any brass bits with holes in them. Those are the jets. Clean them with carb cleaner. Do not poke them with anything to clean them out.
7) put the jets back where you found them. Don't over-do the tightening.
8) move to next carb.

For $150, are they just cleaning them or replacing the jets? Its about 2 hours of work, so $150 = $75/hr which is about what most shops charge per hour.

$350? That's way out of line. They're quoting that because they don't want to touch your bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.