Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am by no means anywhere near a motorcycle mechanic. I just bought a 1976 CB550 when I looked at the bike it ran fine and sounded great. I drive an SUV and the only way I had to get it home was to lay it on its side in the back for a two hour drive. When I got it home I unloaded it, put it on the center stand, and left it sit over night. This morning I took it out, started it, and now it knocks and blows a bit of blue smoke. I think that while it was lying on its side that oil may have gotten up past the rings. Now I am looking for the proper way to fix this problem IF this is the problem. Talking to a friend he told me that I chould change the oil and let the rest burn off but the knocking worries me that I may do more damage.

If anybody has any suggestions of how to fix this problem or has other ideas of what it could be please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually had it lying on the left side. I would have no problem trying to burn it off except that the knocking has me worried. Once I apply throttle the knocking seems to get quieter or the exhaust makes it so I can't hear it as well. I guess my biggest worry is doing damage. I don't want to take it to a mechanic if I don't half to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I am such a newbie. The knocking seems to be coming from the clutch area along with number 3 not firing, causing the smoke. Number 3 is not getting any fuel I am assuming becuse of some sort of blockage in the number 3 carb. Now as you guys can tell I don't know much but I read somewhere that the knocking can come from the carbs not being in sync? So I am hoping that my problems are all carb. I took the carbs off today and I am taking them to "The Shop" in Milwaukee WI. They quoted me $150 to $200 dollars to rebuild them. Other places quoted me around $350+. What do you guys think of this price? I would do it myself if I didn't care when I would be able to ride the bike but being my only bike right now I don't want to take the chance. Live and Learn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I am such a newbie. The knocking seems to be coming from the clutch area along with number 3 not firing, causing the smoke. Number 3 is not getting any fuel I am assuming becuse of some sort of blockage in the number 3 carb. Now as you guys can tell I don't know much but I read somewhere that the knocking can come from the carbs not being in sync? So I am hoping that my problems are all carb. I took the carbs off today and I am taking them to "The Shop" in Milwaukee WI. They quoted me $150 to $200 dollars to rebuild them. Other places quoted me around $350+. What do you guys think of this price? I would do it myself if I didn't care when I would be able to ride the bike but being my only bike right now I don't want to take the chance. Live and Learn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, I got my Carbs back on the bike and it runs on all four now. Now all I have yet to figure out is the clutch knock and the tail light. The clutch knock I figure I will dig into this weekend and see what I can find. I need to change the oil on it anyways if I can find an oil filter for it. I also need to figure out the tail light.

The tail light is where I need the help right now. First off I don't know what kind it is. The problem I am having with it is when I turn the key on the tail light does not come on but the brake light works. When I turn on the "Parking" lights then the tail light works. The light is L.E.D. on a circuit board. Has anybody on here ever had this problem or have any idea how to fix this?

As far as the clutch knocking I am just going to take it apart and have a look see. It works fine but the knocking is embarrassingly loud.

Ok, that is it for now, Thank you guys for all your help and dealing with my newbieness.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ok, the brake/tail light problem I found a wonderful ball of black tape inside the wire shield.Some one cut the wires 3" from the switch and 3" from the plug and replaced all the wire between with all black wire and connecting them with the twist and tape method. Wasn't a very good connection so I pulled it all out and replaced the wire. I also found that the brown wire was loose from the bottom of the switch so I also resoldered that. It all works great now. My bike being a 76' does not have a headlight on/off switch. If it did at one time I don't know. The clutch knock I haven't figured out yet. I took the clutch cover off and looked at the plates for wearing as someone suggested but as far as I could tell the clutch looked to be new. Being a newbie I am going to take it in and have a professional listen to it because I am not even sure if it is clutch knock. Being that the knock is embaressingly loud I am afraid that it could be more than just clutch.

Geeto you have to understand my situation before assuming. The bike hauling situation I would have had my snowmobile trailer but it was in an accident the day before I was to go pick up. The day I was to pick up was a Sunday and rental places are not open around here. I have since then fixed the rim and tire on the trailer. As far as me being a wuss, yes I am afraid of screwing up something on the bike. It is my main bike now and I want to ride it this year. Being that I have NEVER worked on a bike like this I want to be careful and make sure I am going to have a ride this year. Since my last post I picked up a CB400 and I plan on very slowly taking this bike apart a little at a time and using it as a learning tool.

As for everyone on here, the information that you have all offered me will not go to waste. I am sure I will be refering to it time and time again. You guys are wonderful and great at explaining things in terms that I can understand. I can't thank you enough for the time you have taken to help me with my learning curve.

Thank you

Edited by - Pirate Gonzo on Feb 26 2006 4:29:17 PM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ok, let’s see if I can remember everything. First off, when I stick a screwdriver in my ear (not literally in) and hold it to the bike the knocking is loud at the clutch cover and maybe slightly louder on the transmission left side. When I pull the clutch in the knock gets slightly quieter but not very much. It doesn't go away as the bike warms up. I have run the bike through all the gears but not hard at all, I haven't gotten the bike up over 35-40 mph because I live on a back road and the plow NEVER gets all the snow off the road so I have to be very careful. Same with gear jumping, too much damn snow and ice. The Chain Tension... I have no idea, I guess I'll have to look in my book and figure it out. When I changed the oil I purposely ran the old stuff through a paper filter and it was surprisingly clean. The knocking seems like it may go away over 2000rpm or the exhaust may just be masking it so I can't hear it as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.