Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
it works with other oils too. dirty pete is yer man for this job. ive seen him do it with other stuff.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
castor oil (or in a pinch peanut oil). I don't remember if you apply it to a hot pipe or to the pipe and then run the bike (I think you apply heated oil 150-200 degrees to an already hot pipe).

Blacksmiths and knife/sword-smiths use a similar technique of oil quenching

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
from a google cache of a page that doesn't exist now:

Oil quenching

Oil quenching is an old blacksmiths' method which gives good protection from rust. The end result is a deep blue-black object. This method works best on low carbon steel, because flaking occurs in small patches on high carbon or alloy steels. The method involves heating the metal, by either an oxyacetylene torch or forge, to a dull red colour, then plunging the object into old, dirty oil-the dirtier the oil, the blacker the final colour. The object is agitated for 30–60 seconds, depending on its size, removed from the oil and then wiped with a rag. Repeated applications of this method will further darken the object. Protective clothing and eye protection must be worn.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
my old boss did it with orange oil on his xl500. by accident. it smelled like oranges for about 2 days.

jc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts