Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am finally working on a bike I bought last spring - a 76 honda cb360 with claimed original 700 miles - can't be far off.

It has been sitting most of its live in nice indoors garage and is generally in great shape. I have so far rebuilt the petcock and almost finished with the carbs - which were surprisingly ok.

I am getting closer to trying to start the bike - will get a battery today and put carbs back.

I was wondering if I should be worried about the oil pick up on a bike that has sat 10+ years. Is there any easy way of checking that the oil is circulating before starting. Could I remove valve tap cover and spin the engine and check if things get wet or something.

The bike doesn't have oil filters in the traditional (or modern) sense - it seems to have this centrifugal drum to collect some crap and a screen in the oil pump pick up. Checking either/both needs removing the case cover. Is it oke to put this off to a later date - I don't have gaskets now.

Obviously I am keen on trying see if the bike runs as soon as possible but at the same time I don't want to cause any damage.

My optimistic plan was to check the oil level and try to start it - if it runs then after warming up replace the oil. I am not going to ride it anywhere - the front brake is still waiting for new brake line. I just would like to know if it runs or move on with trouble shooting if it doesn't.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
That thing only holds less than 2 qts of oil so I would drain whats in there and change it, then go ahead and fire it up. I would be a little curious about the amount of water from condensation in the oil that is in there.

Ken

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did fire it up. Oil looked ok and I can't really change the oil in the gated carport I have so will do that later.

positives - started, seems to runs nice, made my day

negatives - doesn't idle (I do not have the air filters on so I was using choke to restrict airflow). I need to refresh my car knowledge before I start tinkering more so I know which part affects which range.

Headlight doesn't work, blinkers light up but don't blink, taillight doesn't work, brake light works. Starter doesn't work. It is missing one of the smaller fuses but switching it between the two slots didn't change the lights issues.

Next session will be with a multimeter. I hate that stuff.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Turn signals might not blink due to low battery, although that bike will usually not run well without a good battery charge.
If your battery won't hold a charge, replace it. That could be the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts