Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand and weight of oil do you use in you vintage? I have heard of using diesel oil but don't really know about that. I'll find the article around here somewhere for reference.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
diesel oils advantage, i have heard, is that it is supposed to stand up to high temps and abuse. from what i have read it sounds best to just use a modern name brand motorcycle oil. diesels don't do near as high of rpms as a motorcycle, i wouldn't worry about the vintage nature of the motorcycle when selecting an oil. a synthetic will let you know if you have a bad seal somewhere, and your bike may start weeping but the gain of a cleaner bottom end is worth it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The diesel oil thing is really Shell rotella T oil, and the reason a lot of people claim to use them in older bikes and cars is because it contains a high sulfur content and a lot more detergents. When these old bikes were new the oil had a lot more sulfur in it than it does today, The shell is supposed to have a comparable sulfur content to those old oils with the advantage of being available as a synthetic (and even in conventional oil 30+ years of other oil technology improvements). Modern motorcycle oil has a higher sulfur content than car oil but not as much as Rotella T.

from another site:
quote:zinc additive for wear protection, more base protection to soak up combustion acids, mostly sulfur trioxide which forms sulfuric acid when it sees water in the air, and no energy-conserving--EC rating--friction modifiers to slip up wet clutches. The synthetics (eg Mobil 1 Delvac and Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40) are even better in bikes since their synthetic feedstocks don't get blasted apart by the clutch and they have much higher film strength to protect that engine upon cranking. (Mineral oil viscosity breaks down quickly in bikes vs. cars.) Look closely through the numbers and you'll find that a lot of the moto oils (and Castrol Syntec) just aren't that great in regards to volatility and/or viscosity index, suggesting that hype & marketing goes a long way in selling moto oil
Truth is though that it really is no better then the best oils out there (including mobil 1) and it is a hell of a lot cheaper at $16 a gallon rather than $9 a quart for motorcycle oil.

I have a '78 cb750 I am running on Shell Rotella 5w40 and it runs fine. Actually it runs just as good as the '78 I have running off golden spectro synth. The Rotella cost me $18 a gallon at walmart, the Golden Spectro cost me $50 for the same amount.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
oh, and one more thing....diesel oil is supposed to be a lot longer wearing - most of the people I know using it are doing their oil changes at 5,000-6,000 miles instead of 3,000.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Geeto I am understanding that you are suggesting running Rotella? What weight would you suggest? My Clymer Repair Manuel suggests 30W or 20W-40W, so I don't really know.

*Sorry I retract my last question. I looked into Rotella T and it comes only in 5W-40 so thats what I am gonna use also so I can be just like Geeto too haha.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by parks61

gonna have to get some clubmans...just keep em in the closet.
O of course. I mean I did just order drag bars but I'll get a pair of clubmans...for a coat hanger or something.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Hey I own a pair of clubmans, they are mounted on the wall and are there so I can spot the noobs in my garage...they are the ones that usually ask if they can buy them.

What does the yamaha manual say? I am not familar with the xs650 and what is appropriate oil weight. I can tell you on the cb750 if you run too thin a weight oil the oil light will come on at idle at operating temp because it isn't holding enough pressure (this is a good way to wipe cam bearings).

They sell Shell Rotella in straight 30 weight and in 15w40 and 15w50, they are just not synthetic. They also have it in 5w40 and 5w50. I would be wary of running such a thin oil in the summer for cold startup, even if it is synthetic. Honestly if they are recommending a straight grade oil then that is at least a good place to start. If you are dying to run synth, then Belray, Mobil, golden spectro all make a good oil too. If you do decide you want to run 5w40 in your xs650, then make sure that bike is warmed up for at least a full minute before you try to ride her.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info Geeto. Yea the Clymer Service Manuel I have says use 30W or 20-40W. So I may try the 30W Rotella.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If you are going to go the the evil empire of Walmart for the oil...make sure you take advantage of one of the better deals they have - Less than $30 bikemaster motorcycle batteries. I don't know if they will have this also but my walmart actually had an oil filter for a cb750. Of course the cb750 oil filter works with about 60 other bikes and I happened to have the fram filter number with me (because the application list only went back to 1985) but it was there.

Normally I make it a point not to buy from walmart but in the toss up between the evil oil company empire (shell) or the evil retail empire (walmart) the evil retial empire wins because shockingly enough Rotella is cheaper there than at my local shell station. At nearly $4.15 a gallon for regular here it does me good to think about walmart doing it's usual underhanded pricing scheme dance with big oil and walking away victorious.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
When I started to read this thread - I thought this was a joke???? I have several vintage bikes and I run modern oil in them without any issues. As a backup - I do have several cans of Castrol GTX 20W/50 in my part stock pile... They make a good display item - someday I'll have to put them up on e-bay for a zillion dollars...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely agree with the evil Walmart vs. Evil oil. This is the one time that I choose Walmart. I mean hell oils profits have gone from 14 billion to 44 billion and yet they claim that they aren't gouging us. haha

·
Registered
222 Posts
ZouLou:

I run Rotella Synthetic in all my bike engines. My fun car has a CBR900RR engine with a wet clutch. On track days, the oil temps climb into the 210s. It still shifts fine and doesn't miss a beat.

The vintage bikes seem to like it to. Come to think of it, my TDI Jetta loves it as well. So of all the vehicles I own, only the family 4Runner uses the Mobil1

I'm 100% with Geeto. The only thing I buy from Wal-Mart is the oil. Seems like everytime I go to a local place, they are out of it.

--Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello. My name is George and I, too, am a RotellaT user. I wasn't going to admit it. Since it seems I'm among friends, I guess it's okay.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I use 7th Gear motorcycle oil, because my wife works for the manufacturer and I get it for free.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts