Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys running modern forks with drum brakes - Where do you mount the brake stay?

I'm thinking of machining a spacer and using a long bolt into the upper caliper tab on the L side.

Of course I know I'm overthinking this but I would like to know what others are doing.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I made a stay out of 1/8" x 3/4" Titanium and just ran it from the drum to one of the caliper mounting holes. Did require a small spacer at the mounting hole.
I'm running CB550/4 forks with a Suz T500 drum.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Tim,
It makes a difference...I use an electric tooth brush...so when you drill it to lighten it, it vibrates faster and the batteries last longer.
I'll race you to the molars baby!
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
JohnnyB-

you're on. my brush is heavy and slow and i don't get as much paste time as i'd like, but i'm quick in the incisors.

rotten choppers-
tt

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sheesh - Titanium!

I don't even have any tools that will cut that stuff. I know from experience it's a b*tch to work. Somebody once gave me some ti mesh - i soon realized why it was free when I tried to do something with it.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yeah it's a pain to drill...the stuff work hardens so quick that if you stop drilling you have to break through a little layer of hardened Ti to finish the holes....makes lots of bad cruchy sounds when you drill it. If I remember my rules correctly...Ti likes a high feed rate...low feet per minute....on a drill that means low rpm, relatively high pressure.

It's a blast to grind though....lights up the whole shop. I only use it for the occasional brake stay or bracket that I want light, but stronger than aluminum. But..once you get the part made....they rarely break, never rust, never corrode and you can use a propane torch to get them to turn neato trick colors.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, we eventually used the mesh for a bbq grill surface. Cut it with an air cutoff wheel.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
right back at ya... kinda have a choice... curious george cartoon or internet.... my wife is watchin with larkin so i am here.. what ya up to???

mt

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
sorry, little scatterbrained as i'm going from this site to real estate sites, and back to the kitchen for more coffee. all is well in philly!

texy

"bitches!"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts