Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any experience with the Mazda RX8? I'm looking to trade my truck in for a car. Any advice would be appreciated. I think it's high time hat I buy a non practical vehicle that I can find for less than 15K. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
rx8 isn't that non-practical imo. instead get a RX7. sex on wheels.

If you want a newer car, check out the g35 coupe, a nice e90 BMW

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
What're you gonna haul the bikes with if you trade your truck? Assuming you got the truck so you could haul bikes. That's why I have a truck.
I agree, the RX7 is a cooler car than the RX8, and you may find one in that price range.

FR

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
compared to the 3rd generation camaros and firebirds that my buddies and I used to lust for in the 80's and 90's the RX8 is a fuckin station wagon.

The G-fry has been lusting for an RX8 for the last 3 years (in silver or charcoal), every year we say we are going to buy a brand new one, even going so far as to go to the dealer, take a test drive, and get approved for financing but usually some horrendus job thing happens to one of us that we never end up pulling the trigger.

I have driven a last generation RX7 and the RX8 (three times) and I have to say I like the RX8 more. For starters it is going to be hard to find a 10+ year old sports car that hasn't been beat to shit, and people buying the RX8 are not the same demographic that bought the rx7. I'm not saying the rx8 is not an enthuasists car, just the hot rodder import kids are not as focused on them as they are the rx7. But overall the Rx8 has the suspension that the RX7 should have had. Motor wise they feel about the same (slight nudge to the RX7) but overall ride quality the rx8 flat rocks.

here is my own list of "practical" car toys that I would buy:

- Subaru WRX STI (stay away from manual tranny 2002-2003 rexes). Talk about a fuckin fast 4 door. buddy of mine had one that was deep into the 12s with mild mods. the round eye 2000-2002 plain rexes have manual tranny problems so if you look for those buy an auto.

- VW GTI (espically the new ones). Hella expensive new but worth it. Three buddies of mine own these cars and love them. My brother also just bought a brandy new one. I have never been in a compact with so much room and eye-peeling acceleration.

- 1989-1995 BMW 535i/540i. A buddy of mine is a bmw tech and he tells me that the two cars all the techs look for are e30 3-series (1984-1991) and e34 5-series (1988-1995). The techs love them because with proper maintenance the cars will actually go 200-300 thousand miles. You can get them under 10K with less than 100K miles on them and they are super comfy. My mother owned two of these cars new (a 1991 and a 1994) in stick and loved them. The 535i's big six is a torque monster and the basis for the euro M5 in 1994-95, the 540i's v8 is as good as any corvette's from the same era. The only one that disappointed me was the 530i, didn't have the torque of the 3.5 inline 6, or the sheer balls of the 4.0L v-8, it was more like an import motor making all it's charge up top. Buy one in stick it is the only way to fly. (if you can't tell by now I am looking for a 1994-95 540i in stick to replace my jeep).

- 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO. Its a GTO, nuff said. actually the car is much better than those old rattle trap camaros and firebirds, even the 4th gens. Those aussies know how to build a car.

- 1990's Acura Integra. Good luck finding one that some ricer hasn't bashed yet. Casey's integra has 195,000 miles on it (two door stick LS) before some asshole blew a stop sign. Her's had been her father's so we knew it was well cared for. We drove that car from louisiana to New York doin 90mph the whole way without so much as a hiccup and it had 188K on the clock then. It got 32 avg mpg the entire way, never missed a beat, and rode like a dream. The RSX is just as nice, I have two friends who own them and they both love it. Something about those teggy's though that I just think they are awsome.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
quote:
- 1989-1995 BMW 535i/540i. A buddy of mine is a bmw tech and he tells me that the two cars all the techs look for are e30 3-series (1984-1991) and e34 5-series (1988-1995). The techs love them because with proper maintenance the cars will actually go 200-300 thousand miles. You can get them under 10K with less than 100K miles on them and they are super comfy. My mother owned two of these cars new (a 1991 and a 1994) in stick and loved them. The 535i's big six is a torque monster and the basis for the euro M5 in 1994-95, the 540i's v8 is as good as any corvette's from the same era. The only one that disappointed me was the 530i, didn't have the torque of the 3.5 inline 6, or the sheer balls of the 4.0L v-8, it was more like an import motor making all it's charge up top. Buy one in stick it is the only way to fly. (if you can't tell by now I am looking for a 1994-95 540i in stick to replace my jeep).
1994 and 1995 540 (and 740 for that matter) almost all had poor nikasil coatings on the cyl walls which required them to have the engines replaced. if you get one that has had it done already, good deal. if not, stay clear!
The Nikasil would deteriate from higher sulphur contecnt in gas and cause a rough idle (bad compression). I worked for BMW for a few years and can honestly say they make damn fun cars!

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:

1994 and 1995 540 (and 740 for that matter) almost all had poor nikasil coatings on the cyl walls which required them to have the engines replaced. if you get one that has had it done already, good deal. if not, stay clear!
The Nikasil would deteriate from higher sulphur contecnt in gas and cause a rough idle (bad compression). I worked for BMW for a few years and can honestly say they make damn fun cars!
Shit, I had not heard of this...not even on the e34 forums. I'll need to ask my friend about it when I get a chance, but thanks for the heads up. I was going to go look at a 1995 540i with 53K original miles this weekend. Glad you told me.

I almost bought a 535i in stick last weekend and truth be told I would rather have the big six than the v-8. One thing I will say about those cars, it is hard to find a decent one with low mileage. for evey one I find with less than 100K on it there are 20 with over 200K on them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. You guys have hit on all the cars I've been looking at. My search started by looking for an RX7, 3000GT/Stealth, or an Integra Type-R(helping a buddy swap in a B18C into his '96 gsr) . The Chicagoland area has a lot of rich kids, so all examples of these cars are beat to shit around here. I love the rexes, but my best friend has one and I would never hear the end of it if I "copied" him. Oh and we know all about those 2002-03 trans problems. He is hunting down the parts to swap in a newer 6-speed right now. I guess you have to swap out both axles to make the change. I had not thought about the Beemers though. I like the idea of a nice inline 6. My dad always drove a Ford with the 300 I6, and I fell for inlines. The GTI's are really nice, but I'm trying to find something RWD or AWD. I just like driving them more. If I do get a FWD, it will most likely be an RSX. Thanks for the help guys. I'm jumping the gun a little anyway. I just started my new job, so I guess I have some time to think. I just love all cars so much it is hard to narrow down the field. I'll let you guys know what I finally end up deciding on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. You guys have hit on all the cars I've been looking at. My search started by looking for an RX7, 3000GT/Stealth, or an Integra Type-R(helping a buddy swap in a B18C into his '96 gsr) . The Chicagoland area has a lot of rich kids, so all examples of these cars are beat to shit around here. I love the rexes, but my best friend has one and I would never hear the end of it if I "copied" him. Oh and we know all about those 2002-03 trans problems. He is hunting down the parts to swap in a newer 6-speed right now. I guess you have to swap out both axles to make the change. I had not thought about the Beemers though. I like the idea of a nice inline 6. My dad always drove a Ford with the 300 I6, and I fell for inlines. The GTI's are really nice, but I'm trying to find something RWD or AWD. I just like driving them more. If I do get a FWD, it will most likely be an RSX. Thanks for the help guys. I'm jumping the gun a little anyway. I just started my new job, so I guess I have some time to think. I just love all cars so much it is hard to narrow down the field. I'll let you guys know what I finally end up deciding on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dude rx-8 is amazing...
If you are into projects i would say get one with a bad motor or a flood car. Then swap in a 13bREW from the 3rd gen FD rx-7 the motor has more power options since it has turbos and parts are easier to get.

Here is pic and video of my teamate tonys rx-8 let me know if you want any more info...

http://www.heavy.com/video/30815
rotarys are awesome i have an 85 rx-7 that will one day get the motor i have sitting in the garage.

----------------------------
http://www.driftalliance.com

Edited by - sprinter666 on Dec 12 2007 11:43:53 AM

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dude rx-8 is amazing...
If you are into projects i would say get one with a bad motor or a flood car. Then swap in a 13bREW from the 3rd gen FD rx-7 the motor has more power options since it has turbos and parts are easier to get.

Here is pic and video of my teamate tonys rx-8 let me know if you want any more info...

http://www.heavy.com/video/30815
rotarys are awesome i have an 85 rx-7 that will one day get the motor i have sitting in the garage.

Edited by - sprinter666 on Dec 12 2007 11:43:53 AM

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
i say that you pick up a nice jaguar XJR. tons of power. great ride and they even handle nice. make sure its one with a service history though.
for pure fun though get a 80s lotus esprit. they just cant get any cheaper so you will always be able to get your money out.

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
i say that you pick up a nice jaguar XJR. tons of power. great ride and they even handle nice. make sure its one with a service history though.
for pure fun though get a 80s lotus esprit. they just cant get any cheaper so you will always be able to get your money out.

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FR- My dad has a truck I can use if need be. I'm hoping to have my bikes mobile by spring. I just need to put a class I hitch on whatever I buy and get a mountain bike rack. Ehhh, who am I kidding, I'll end up buying a beater truck or possibly a van this time for hauling shit around. Sprinter, that was an awesome vid. Someday I'll have to give drifting a shot. I've been practicing every time it has snowed or rained around here for the last 8 years(nothing but my dart has had the balls to do it on dry pavement, and I haven't been able to afford new tires all that often, not to mention that my neighbors love to call the cops on me). It's exactly 9/10ths of a mile from the entrance to my subdivision to my house with five turns, and none of the roads go in a straight line. I can slide through it all, and have never gone off into any of my neighbors yards. There is just no drift scene around here. I'd love some more info about your friend's RX8, and if you could point me towards some aftermarket sources for performance goodies I'd greatly appreciate it. Jaguar, I don't think I can afford to own a Lotus, seems like there is too much upkeep for a daily driver. I like the Jags, but it's a little too highbrow for me. Most of my friends are already hassling me about getting a car as opposed to another truck. If I bought a jag, I would be ostracized. Also, I work with contractors all day at my new job, so owning a Jaguar wouldn't give me much street cred at work either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FR- My dad has a truck I can use if need be. I'm hoping to have my bikes mobile by spring. I just need to put a class I hitch on whatever I buy and get a mountain bike rack. Ehhh, who am I kidding, I'll end up buying a beater truck or possibly a van this time for hauling shit around. Sprinter, that was an awesome vid. Someday I'll have to give drifting a shot. I've been practicing every time it has snowed or rained around here for the last 8 years(nothing but my dart has had the balls to do it on dry pavement, and I haven't been able to afford new tires all that often, not to mention that my neighbors love to call the cops on me). It's exactly 9/10ths of a mile from the entrance to my subdivision to my house with five turns, and none of the roads go in a straight line. I can slide through it all, and have never gone off into any of my neighbors yards. There is just no drift scene around here. I'd love some more info about your friend's RX8, and if you could point me towards some aftermarket sources for performance goodies I'd greatly appreciate it. Jaguar, I don't think I can afford to own a Lotus, seems like there is too much upkeep for a daily driver. I like the Jags, but it's a little too highbrow for me. Most of my friends are already hassling me about getting a car as opposed to another truck. If I bought a jag, I would be ostracized. Also, I work with contractors all day at my new job, so owning a Jaguar wouldn't give me much street cred at work either.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Dart where do you live i am sure there is drifting near you (within 4 hours) the rx-8 runs the 13BREW out of an FD, with mild street port and upgraded turbo. i will get you the specifics. he makes about 360 HP

He has a BNsports body kit (it totally makes the car IMO) and and runs 18x9.5 Work CRkai all around
the transmission is stock FD with an OS giken twin plate clutch (i think he went to Exedy single though cause he blew trannies like weekly.

look for the car on the cover of super street magazine (you can getit anywhere) it will have a whole write up. they shot the car last month so it should be on newstands soon.. i can get you better info once he gets back from costarica. suspension set up etc the car is fast and fun as shit. It also drifts AWESOME!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Dart where do you live i am sure there is drifting near you (within 4 hours) the rx-8 runs the 13BREW out of an FD, with mild street port and upgraded turbo. i will get you the specifics. he makes about 360 HP

He has a BNsports body kit (it totally makes the car IMO) and and runs 18x9.5 Work CRkai all around
the transmission is stock FD with an OS giken twin plate clutch (i think he went to Exedy single though cause he blew trannies like weekly.

look for the car on the cover of super street magazine (you can getit anywhere) it will have a whole write up. they shot the car last month so it should be on newstands soon.. i can get you better info once he gets back from costarica. suspension set up etc the car is fast and fun as shit. It also drifts AWESOME!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts