Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Apparently, you are the only cafe racer in the entire state, Corey! Don't feel bad about that; it makes you even more ton-up than the rest of us.

It's easy to be an cafe racer when there is an active local social scene associated with it. It takes soul to be a cafe racer when you are the only one around.

I live in south Orange County, CA, (a large metro area with over 1 million residents). I have never seen another cafe racer here. I have never seen a vintage bike event here, and certainly no vintage racing. A few classic Triumphs and Harleys cruising around on the weekends, a few old Jap bikes here and there, but that's about it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm from OKC, but now live in Dallas. I'm driving up next Friday to deliver a CB360 cafe I built as a birthday gift to my brother. Are you in the OKC area? If so, stop by his resturant (Cafe NOVA) on western. I'm sure he'll ride it to work.

He owns the resturant and does nothing by work, nut who knows, he may be interested in a cafe group. Chat him up.

--Chris

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i actually live in mcalester, in the southeast corner. i work at a motorcycle dealership and take a lot of flak about not owning a real bike. (its all for fun) but i really haven't really seen any other bikes in the area similiar to mine in anyway. there is a water cooled eighties honda that lives outside of a junk place (i doubt it runs) it has a cafe-esque seat on it, but is mostly just rusted and faded. thats the closest i've seen.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i actually live in mcalester, in the southeast corner. i work at a motorcycle dealership and take a lot of flak about not owning a real bike. (its all for fun) but i really haven't really seen any other bikes in the area similiar to mine in anyway. there is a water cooled eighties honda that lives outside of a junk place (i doubt it runs) it has a cafe-esque seat on it, but is mostly just rusted and faded. thats the closest i've seen.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool i make it up to norman every once and a while. i guess its just a little bit north. is there anything around there that is vintage bike friendly? hell even a good salvage yard this side of okc? i still haven't heard of any sort of vintage racing motorcycle event around here? i was at Hallet race track for a training event and didn't see any pictures of vintage bike races in there cafe. i am sure there are a lot of gems waiting in barns and garages around this part of the country.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ya there is nothing around here I also have a 76 that i am redoing form the ground up got her for free when i bought the other bike ha ha there is not alot around here at all there are a few irish pubs around if I could get enough cafe racers together maybe we could start our own cllub around here and have bike meets at the pub I dunno just an idea. With gas prices going up im sure this cafe racer style bike are going to catch on there older cheap to fix and cheaper to buy great gas milage so

·
Registered
222 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 1971cbtonup

Ya there is nothing around here I also have a 76 that i am redoing form the ground up got her for free when i bought the other bike ha ha there is not alot around here at all there are a few irish pubs around if I could get enough cafe racers together maybe we could start our own cllub around here and have bike meets at the pub I dunno just an idea. With gas prices going up im sure this cafe racer style bike are going to catch on there older cheap to fix and cheaper to buy great gas milage so
I was just up in OKC last weekend. Ride up to CafeNOVA; it's on Western just south of McGuiness highschool. Certainly not far from Moore. Anyway, ask for Shaun and see if he wants to set something up. I'm sure he'd like nothing more than to use CafeNOVA as the meeting place. Below is a picture of his CB360 cafe.

My dad knows of a couple scrappers in the OK area. I think he said one was in Ada. I know of a couple here in DFW. McAlister is so remote that I would have no idea where a scrappy is. Maybe the Tulsa area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ya I head back to work for the next few days but I work in that area maybe ill swing by and talk to him Im digging the bike were did he get those rear sets those are killer!! here is a few of my works in progress.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
quote:Originally posted by steve barker

Apparently, you are the only cafe racer in the entire state, Corey! Don't feel bad about that; it makes you even more ton-up than the rest of us.

It's easy to be an cafe racer when there is an active local social scene associated with it. It takes soul to be a cafe racer when you are the only one around.

I live in south Orange County, CA, (a large metro area with over 1 million residents). I have never seen another cafe racer here. I have never seen a vintage bike event here, and certainly no vintage racing. A few classic Triumphs and Harleys cruising around on the weekends, a few old Jap bikes here and there, but that's about it.
I'm in Riverside and the scene here is much the same. You missed a great vintage event at Willow Springs last month. But other than that its quiet. There will be a swap meet at Malcolm Smith's Motorsports next month. 16th I think.

Heres a sample of what you missed. Said to be a genuine Hailwood Honda with a tasty G50 behind it.

By weslake, shot with Canon PowerShot A430 at 2008-04-14

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
tips for finding barn finds:

- Ride your motorcycle everywhere. people see old bikes and they naturally want to stop and talk about them with the owner, espically if they have or had one just like it. Let them know you are interested without being pushy and more often then not you will get at least one lead. Follow up on every lead you get and you will hit paydirt.

- hang out in old bike shops. Ones that have been around for 20-30 years. Read their bulliten board. Post a flyer on there that you are looking for old bikes.

- advertise that you are looking for old bikes in traditional places like the local paper, the penny saver, and other places where the older generations tend to gravitate towards. The internet is a young man's place.

- ride through semi-bad neighborhoods. you don't need to stalk the ghetto but any neighborhood where you are likely to find a car on blocks or bikes left outside is a good place to start. Pretend that you are lost when people approach you so they don't feel threatened that you are looking up their driveways and into their backyards. Take backroads.

- Talk to farmers. They always have something interesting in their barns and they never throw away anything. they also know what is in each other's barns.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

I'm in Riverside and the scene here is much the same. You missed a great vintage event at Willow Springs last month. But other than that its quiet. There will be a swap meet at Malcolm Smith's Motorsports next month. 16th I think.

Heres a sample of what you missed. Said to be a genuine Hailwood Honda with a tasty G50 behind it.

Was that photo taken at the Corsa Motoclassica? I went there a few years ago, and it was a blast. It was the only vintage race I have ever seen. So many beautiful bikes making so much beautiful noise. Willow Springs is a long-ass drive out into the desert, though. It took me hours to get there.

The Hailwood bike is awesome. What's that green bike in the background?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

Was that photo taken at the Corsa Motoclassica? I went there a few years ago, and it was a blast. It was the only vintage race I have ever seen. So many beautiful bikes making so much beautiful noise. Willow Springs is a long-ass drive out into the desert, though. It took me hours to get there.

The Hailwood bike is awesome. What's that green bike in the background?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey found a few freebies if interested one is a cb 450 other is like a honda something 500 think it was a shaft drive both are complete decent shape not close to running and would need to be restored, i was working and on a call there lady said i could have them if i wanted them but i cant really take them cause of my job and why i was there but if anyone else wants them in okc let me know ill give the address to ya im sure they dont have titles

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
now that it has warmed up for reals, no more cold spats, i am getting a lot of people coming into the shop telling me about their old bike, some even wanting to trade in on a new one. its been my own dumbass that hasn't taken their number.

so far the local bike market consists
'72 honda cl 250 apparantly it was old man owned, the dude rode it barefoot, kept it mint.
honda cx500 haggered, since moved indoors
and a mystery cafe racer traded to a guy for a fourwheeler as way to save on gas but " the damn things too hopped up to drive, and you can't carry no passenger on it" it supposedly has a number on it, but it could be a 60's triumph or a 06 zzr600, theres no telling.

geeto as far as hoods with cars on blocks... sad to say but thats the whole damn town. its a prison town. i'll make it a day someday barn hunting i'll bring a camera and maybe you guys can do some identifying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts