Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.450moto.com/

Check this out, I really like the idea! I've got a couple Yamaha 450s sitting here that I haven't thrashed yet.....Hmmmmmmm

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have always wanted to stuff a kx250 2 stroke motor into a derbi GPR. same basic idea, light and fast.

I want to do it just to have the 50cc moped plates and smoke modern sportbikes. Of course I would have to get some jockey like AD to ride the death trap.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
My introduction to motorcycle racing was in Pueblo Colorado, the Mountain Roadracing Association, I was a volunteer corner worker/flagman. The coolest bikes out on the track, in my opinion, were the Yamaha TT500s converted into roadracers. So cool, in fact, that when I got back to the east coast, I went into the Yamaha dealer to buy one. (They talked me into an SR500, which was the new road bike built with the same engine.)
Anyway, the new 450s should be awesome as a roadrace engine. I imagine you could place your order for a Wood frame right now.

FR

·
Registered
97 Posts
This could be the start of a new golden age of motorcycle racing. I hope so anyway. Also if this catches on they might start making cool small displacement bikes again.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geeto: I have several of my old motocrossers that I can't bear o get rid of. My yz490 is really matching my eye at the moment. It would need a bit of frame work but I'm really liking the idea of that brutal engine in a track rig. Heheh

FR: What's the bike in that pic? Also, pardon my ignorance....Wood frame?

Dart7383: I agree wholeheartedly

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Geeto: I have several of my old motocrossers that I can't bear o get rid of. My yz490 is really matching my eye at the moment. It would need a bit of frame work but I'm really liking the idea of that brutal engine in a track rig. Heheh

FR: What's the bike in that pic? Also, pardon my ignorance....Wood frame?

Dart7383: I agree wholeheartedly

I cut my teeth on a cr250 honda when I was 15. I love the 250 two strokes and often thought how awsome it would be to have a street bike based one. This is before I discovered there was such a thing as kawasaki triples.

But still the thought of a little 250cc street tracker or even better moto Gp style replica haunts me.

I doe vespa SOHO's 70cc kitted derbi gpr, and despite the fact that I weighed more than the bike (280lbs) that little pocket rocket had me topped out at or near 70 mph and wow what acceleration. Ater that I had visions of that little rocket with a kx250 motor screaming around brooklyn.

If you did stuff a dirt 2 smoke single in a small sport bike frame, what class could you race in?

wood frame - custom motorcycle frames made by ron wood for road race and flat track. There are other companies like this too like C&J and champion (no longer in business):

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/06/07/ron-wood-rotax-flat-track-motorcycles/

http://www.rotax.net/index.htm

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wood....Duh..>Ron Wood. Thanks...too much blood in my caffeine system

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
$2200 for a full rolling chassis (minus tires and sprockets) is a good deal. Some harley frames cost that much (without wheels and forks)

The more I think about it, how awsome would one of these wood flat trackers be with a KLR engine and titled for the street. with the rotax in there it weighs 251 lbs wet. awsome.

edit: with the honda crF450 motor it has a DRY weight of 196lbs. Holy fuck is that light. Forget the alternate powerplants, let me just figure out how to title that model for the street.

Edited by - geeto67 on Aug 24 2007 3:42:34 PM

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Yeah man. The Wood stuff is tight. The roadracer that I clipped is not cheap though, I think the complete bike was around $20k, probably 10-12 years ago.
I used to be a little intimidated by those Rotax engines, seemed like they were kind of complex, and required regular and frequent maintenance, which included top end work. Turns out they're fairly mundane when compared to the new 450 motors, which really are complex. Especially if you "tune" them to get higher HP/torque.
That's probably the best argument for keeping the two strokes around, any mildly capable dad like me could do most of the work himself, sometimes at the track. Don't think you'll see too many dads doing a top end for junior on one of the new 450s on Saturday night.

FR

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I am thinking about sticking my good cb350 race motor into another rolling chassis I have and getting a CR250r motor and putting it in my really good CB350 chassis. Then I want to stick one of my stock CB350 motors into the CR250 chassis for a play bike or motard it and ride it on the street. I have seen all kinds of Mid 90's liquid cooled CR250's for 1200 to 1800 dollars. That is really cheap for being able to make 2 cool bikes. The 250 roadracer would fit into some singles classes and would be a fun track and practice bike. I am going to try and fit some roadrace style bodywork on it and let people try and figure out what it is. I think a decent CR250 motor makes more HP than a mostly stock CB350 and weighs a bunch less.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
They need to stay with stock frame and swingarm. Basically a supermoto bike with the pegs moved and a different rear subframe and tank. Maybe a half fairing. A bike that could be built for 8 grand. But then I quess you wouldn't even really need Roland.

There's gonna be issues with the 450 motors. People don't get how really short-fused they are. What saves them most of the time is that in the dirt a 450 makes more power than anyone can use so they don't get run that hard. I've gone back to a two-stroke dirtbike because I can't afford to fix a four-stroke.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts