Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there i was... Approximately 10:30 sunday night got the great idea to bust out the 350. fine. got about halfway to my destination, which was really only 5 miles away, pulled in the clutch, heard some goofy grinding and then a dreaded lurch. good thing as i was coming to a stop anyways. engine stuck. crud. got a friend to give me a ride home. parked bike at friends parents house. got i trouble from wife for taking of in middle of night time. when i drained the oil found a half circular chunk of plastic from the tensioner unit. not the rollers but the part the chain slides on. more tearing down tonight, but really how much devistation should i expect? bent valves? total loss? oh well thought you guys would get a kick out of my hardships. Guess i should be lucky to have friends nearby to come drive me around.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
good question. im interested in hearing how it looks.

jc

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i got further into the 350 twin. so far not as bad as it could have been. the tensioner rollers were good and chewed up, the bottom roller was probably half of its original diameter. technically it was still doing its job, but the cam chain guide was working much much harder than ever intended. i thought it was hard plastic, but apparently it is metal underneath.
good opportunity to "freshen things up" over the long winter. i guess. everything important is salvagable

Hey since im on the topic i know you racers use those KA tensioners. does that unit replace the guide or just the roller assembly? is it worth it for my app or should i just find a NOS part. or should i buy two with the intention of building a racer? HA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts